By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 sales are off to a rough start.

d21lewis said:
Listen to me when I say this: Lara Croft is a whore.

-Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light released first on Xbox 360.

-Tomb Raider Underworld had two huge DLC expansions that were Xbox exclusives. I think, but I'm not sure, the they released on that Tomb Raider Trilogy YEARS LATER.

-Tomb Raider Legend was on 360 in 2006. PS3 in 2011.

-Tomb Raider Anniversary released on 360 in 2007. It didn't come to PS3 until 2011.

- The original Tomb Raider came to Sega Saturn, first.

-The series went to PS1 and stayed there for years before going back to other consoles.

PlayStation was home to most of her adventures (and most of her decline in quality, tbh (thanks to annual releases and the horrible Angel of Darkness) but that's because PS1 had virtually no competition.

I don't know how to put this any clearer. LARA CROFT DOESN'T LOVE YOU. SHE ONLY GOES WHERE SHE CAN GET MONEY.

At the same time, she often stars in some stellar games. People need to put their emotions to the side when it comes to gaming. If a good game comes to a platform you own, play it! Stop taking it personally when things don't go exactly like you want.

Jeez.

This man speaks the truth. She a friggin gold digger *cue the music.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Listen to me when I say this: Lara Croft is a whore.

-Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light released first on Xbox 360.

-Tomb Raider Underworld had two huge DLC expansions that were Xbox exclusives. I think, but I'm not sure, the they released on that Tomb Raider Trilogy YEARS LATER.

-Tomb Raider Legend was on 360 in 2006. PS3 in 2011.

-Tomb Raider Anniversary released on 360 in 2007. It didn't come to PS3 until 2011.

- The original Tomb Raider came to Sega Saturn, first.

-The series went to PS1 and stayed there for years before going back to other consoles.

PlayStation was home to most of her adventures (and most of her decline in quality, tbh (thanks to annual releases and the horrible Angel of Darkness) but that's because PS1 had virtually no competition.

I don't know how to put this any clearer. LARA CROFT DOESN'T LOVE YOU. SHE ONLY GOES WHERE SHE CAN GET MONEY.

At the same time, she often stars in some stellar games. People need to put their emotions to the side when it comes to gaming. If a good game comes to a platform you own, play it! Stop taking it personally when things don't go exactly like you want.

Jeez.

You win the thread.

Looks like PlayStation fans don't buy 3rd games.
SE should stop releasing games on that platform.

Kerotan said:
Pavolink said:

Warned for pointing the truth? That won't change what I said.

You twisted what I said into the "truth". I'm not saying everything should be ps exclusive.  just that going against Playstation where the lions share of sales happen is idiotic and SE have paid dearly.  the brand is damaged on Playstation now their biggest marketplace. 

There's a big thing to consider here that you're purposefully ignoring.

Mid-2013 the game was already way into development, according to Phil Rogers. When the deal was made with Microsoft, we had literally no idea which platform was going to come out on top so at the time, with the money Microsoft were offering, it could have been a great decision. Other publishers also thought that Microsoft would take the 360's momentum into Gen 8 and see a roaring success (see Titanfall). Nothing idiotic about taking an early risk and publishers don't *have* to support PlayStation just as they don't *have* to support Microsoft or Nintendo.

If you want an idiotic decision, look no further than releasing it on the same day as Fallout 4, or releasing the PS4 version right between FIFA and Battlefield.

As for the brand being damaged, give me a break. A late port has seen sales you'd expect from a late port. Stop trying to blow things out of proportion.

Carl2291 said:
Kerotan said:

You twisted what I said into the "truth". I'm not saying everything should be ps exclusive.  just that going against Playstation where the lions share of sales happen is idiotic and SE have paid dearly.  the brand is damaged on Playstation now their biggest marketplace. 

Mid-2013 the game was already way into development, according to Phil Rogers. When the deal was made with Microsoft, we had literally no idea which platform was going to come out on top so at the time, with the money Microsoft were offering, it could have been a great decision. Other publishers also thought that Microsoft would take the 360's momentum into Gen 8 and see a roaring success (see Titanfall). Nothing idiotic about taking an early risk and publishers don't *have* to support PlayStation just as they don't *have* to support Microsoft or Nintendo.

If you want an idiotic decision, look no further than releasing it on the same day as Fallout 4, or releasing the PS4 version right between FIFA and Battlefield.

As for the brand being damaged, give me a break. A late port has seen sales you'd expect from a late port. Stop trying to blow things out of proportion.

Great post.  Looks like another case of publisher fell for the hype the the xb1 would dominate this gen.  they weren't the only ones to fuck up here.  

And yeah releasing it when they did was idiotic.  I guess EA aren't the only ones when it comes to this as we just seen with Titanfall 2. 

Interesting stats on how much exclusivity the series has had from the 360 days until now.  Looks like Microsoft are really targeting this franchise hard.  at the end of the day though I don't think it's worth it.  as seen with TR 2013 as soon as the ps/xb get a simultaneous release the ps4 version will outsell it 2.5/3:1 barring massive bundles for the xb.  so in the end they've never managed to really turn the series into a dominantly xbox series.  

Imo they'd be better off spending all these millions creating a rival Microsoft owned ip to compete with uncharted. 

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Kerotan said:

Bold: Agreed. Though I don't think anyone's saying that. At least not in this thread??

Underlined: So you don't think Shadow of the Tomb Raider (or whatever it'll be called) will see weaker overall sales in spite of Rise of the Tomb Raider's weak sales? That's music to my ears. I hope you're right.

This is one of my favorite game series and its health and continuation mean a lot to me. The last thing I want to see is SE allocating less talent and resources in the game and drive it into obscurity.

I like the TR reboot and I did get the RTR,. It is a decent game but not even close to UC4. Still, I would like to see sequels of RTR but the sales figures pointing south will probably mean that commercial department will cancel further dev.

Mike_L said:

So you don't think Shadow of the Tomb Raider (or whatever it's called) will see weaker overall sales in spite of Rise of the Tomb Raider's weak sales? That's music to my ears. I hope you're right.

Well it entirely depends on when it's released. As I said in my other post, I think that the biggest actual mistakes made with Rise have been the release dates.

Tomb Raider as an IP simply isn't strong enough to stand up with or against the likes of FIFA, Fallout, Battlefield, Call of Duty and so on. Would be perfect to fill that "Summer Blockbuster" void during June, July and August that had nothing really notable in 2016. From the end of May and Overwatch, the only "notable" games released during that 3 Month period were No Man's Sky and Madden, both in August. 

With a good marketing campaign, a simultaneous release on all platforms and a sensible release date there's no real reason why Tomb Raider in its current form can't sell in excess of 5 or 6 Million units. 

Carl2291 said:
Mike_L said:

So you don't think Shadow of the Tomb Raider (or whatever it's called) will see weaker overall sales in spite of Rise of the Tomb Raider's weak sales? That's music to my ears. I hope you're right.

Well it entirely depends on when it's released. As I said in my other post, I think that the biggest actual mistakes made with Rise have been the release dates.

Tomb Raider as an IP simply isn't strong enough to stand up with or against the likes of FIFA, Fallout, Battlefield, Call of Duty and so on. Would be perfect to fill that "Summer Blockbuster" void during June, July and August that had nothing really notable in 2016. From the end of May and Overwatch, the only "notable" games released during that 3 Month period were No Man's Sky and Madden, both in August. 

With a good marketing campaign, a simultaneous release on all platforms and a sensible release date there's no real reason why Tomb Raider in its current form can't sell in excess of 5 or 6 Million units. 

Yeah. You're probably right that the most damaging have been the release dates.

As you say a simultaneous release across all platforms will also be crucial and I think that's what many users have been trying to say in this thread. Not that the World would be better if everything was exclusive to PS. :-/

U ppl wishing this game sell bad is very sad, also saying serves square Enix right for what they did to ps4 fans is also showing how imature you really are and how entitled gamers have become.
Also when street fighter 5 released as a ps4 only game , the ps4 fans didnt say shit for it not coming to xbox one . when a game doesn't release at launch on Playstation , the dev is the devil and wishes the game fail, but when it's the other way around , nothing is said.
People just need to be happy more games come out on the system they like to game on , instead of acting like spoiled brats .

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1