By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 sales are off to a rough start.

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
U ppl wishing this game sell bad is very sad, also saying serves square Enix right for what they did to ps4 fans is also showing how imature you really are and how entitled gamers have become.
Also when street fighter 5 released as a ps4 only game , the ps4 fans didnt say shit for it not coming to xbox one . when a game doesn't release at launch on Playstation , the dev is the devil and wishes the game fail, but when it's the other way around , nothing is said.
People just need to be happy more games come out on the system they like to game on , instead of acting like spoiled brats .

I think you are jumping to a few too many conclusions there chum.

Street Fighter 5, didnt buy that either.

I dont wish the game to fail or do most people, I've actually ordered it but amazon have 0 copies so waiting for stock at the reduced price I purchased it at. What I want is a bit of common sense. All people are saying is they dont want to pay full price for a 1 year old game, and dont want to reward SE for their behaviour. Sorry but with so many games coming out, I am not prepared to pay full price for this game, and as it seems so has many other people have the same idea.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
padib said:
Rêveur said:
That's already too high a number. The game needs to crash and burn to show Square Enix that PS4 players won't accept being treated like second-class customers. I would fear for the future of gaming (if not the world itself) if gamers went out and massively bought this game.

Wow. For the rare timed exclusive they get this kind of reaction. Think of how many times it was the other way around when Xbox got games after PS. I don't see people react so intensely when that happens.

You didn't see us freak out over Rocket League? $20 for a game PS4 owners got for FREE!

... You're right. Nobody said anything.

d21lewis said:
padib said:

Wow. For the rare timed exclusive they get this kind of reaction. Think of how many times it was the other way around when Xbox got games after PS. I don't see people react so intensely when that happens.

You didn't see us freak out over Rocket League? $20 for a game PS4 owners got for FREE!

... You're right. Nobody said anything.

Some Xbox fans on Twitter tried to start a riot because the Titanfall 2 devs used the photo of a PS4 disc to announce that the development was over, with threats, boycotts and every other usual thing. "How dare you take a picture of a PS4 disc when your real fanbase is on Xbox, because the original game is Xbox exclusive"....

No, it's not "our fanbase it perfect and the other one is mean".

padib said:
Faelco said:

Some Xbox fans on Twitter tried to start a riot because the Titanfall 2 devs used the photo of a PS4 disc to announce that the development was over, with threats, boycotts and every other usual thing. "How dare you take a picture of a PS4 disc when your real fanbase is on Xbox, because the original game is Xbox exclusive"....

No, it's not "our fanbase it perfect and the other one is mean".

That's twitter though, nobody cares about fans on that, it's full of garbage posts.

Anyways on Vgchartz, yes it is that. Not perfect but not bad either.

Oh, right, let's just ignore any message that doesn't suit our ideas ;)

The fact is that the PS4 leads the gen by a lot. Any developer skipping the PS4 takes a useless risk. Skipping the XBox One or the Wii U is less risky. That's just basic maths. So, yes, it's more "normal" when a game is PS4 (timed) exclusive than when a game is Xbox (timed) exclusive, it's business as usual when a console is the leader. A lot of developers went from PS2 exclusive to PS360 multiplat, and now some of them come back to PS4 exclusive. It's perfectly normal and expected when you switch from a rather homogenous generation to a generation with a strong leader (or vice versa).

And when you're talking about Tomb Raider, which sold 70% of the previous game on the PS4, the idea of skipping the PS4 is just ridiculous. No need to cry when people point that out.

padib said:
Faelco said:

Oh, right, let's just ignore any message that doesn't suit our ideas ;)

The fact is that the PS4 leads the gen by a lot. Any developer skipping the PS4 takes a useless risk. Skipping the XBox One or the Wii U is less risky. That's just basic maths. So, yes, it's more "normal" when a game is PS4 (timed) exclusive than when a game is Xbox (timed) exclusive, it's business as usual when a console is the leader. A lot of developers went from PS2 exclusive to PS360 multiplat, and now some of them come back to PS4 exclusive. It's perfectly normal and expected when you switch from a rather homogenous generation to a generation with a strong leader (or vice versa).

And when you're talking about Tomb Raider, which sold 70% of the previous game on the PS4, the idea of skipping the PS4 is just ridiculous. No need to cry when people point that out.

No Twitter is bad man. I don't know do you enjoy reading bad posts on Twitter? I usually never go there to read about video game stuff it just makes me uneasy.

Why are you saying I'm crying, you're the one who's crying right now... It's decent business decision to get money-hatted, because it's free.

Funny you say that while at the same time choosing to quote the single worst post in this thread to try to prove that PS gamers are bad and uncool.

That's quite cool of you

Around the Network

I thought lots of PS4 owners wanted this game?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

padib said:

No Twitter is bad man. I don't know do you enjoy reading bad posts on Twitter? I usually never go there to read about video game stuff it just makes me uneasy.

Why are you saying I'm crying, you're the one who's crying right now... It's decent business decision to get money-hatted, because it's free.

I'm barely exaggerating on the crying if you read the entire thread with the complaints about PS fans being mean ^^.

What do you mean, "I'm crying" ? You said, and I quote :

padib said:

And I explained why it's normal that there are a lot more reactions when a game skips the PS4 than when it skips the XOne. One of them is a lot more risky and makes less sense than the other.

It's not at all a good business decision when the money hat makes you lose money at the end. We could argue about "does MS check for this game cover for the losses in sales because of this fiasco, for this game and the next one", but the CEO of Crystal Dynamics "left" after the failed launch last year, and the next TR game is apparently given to another studio entirely. Square Enix kinda answered this question already.

If Square Enix sold the exclusivity of FF15 on the XBox One for a million dollar, would it be a "decent business decision"? It's "free" after all according to you.... 

Replicant said:
padib said:

Funny you say that while at the same time choosing to quote the single worst post in this thread to try to prove that PS gamers are bad and uncool.

That's quite cool of you

It clearly shows how uneasy it makes him

padib said:

It wasn't such a simple view. When they planned this the X1 probably hadn't even launched. You can't use 20/20 hindsight to judge a past decision, it's illogical. They couldn't exactly predict the PS4 would do so much better.

And nobody knows that. The exclusivity announcement was made almost a year after the PS4 and XOne released. And 2 months before that, they first revealed the game without any talk about exclusivity. Phil Spencer explained after the Gamescom 2014 "I'm a fan of Uncharted, we don't have a good enough game like Uncharted so this one was an opportunity". Nothing indicates that the exclusivity deal wasn't definitely made between the E3 reveal and the Gamescom announcement. Uncharted 4 was really revealed at E3 2014 with the announcement of the release for Christmas 2015 after all. Tomb Raider was announced at the same time for the same release window. And all of a sudden, 2 months later, they go XBox exclusive while Spencer explains that it's the "Xbox Uncharted". But no connection ? ^^

Anyway, even if we imagine that the deal was made a long time ago... Some developers, like other SE studios, announced games for the Xbox One, even Japanese games usually PS-only (FF, Kingdom Hearts...). That's what you do when you don't know how it will turn out, you play carefully. Square Enix announced several Japanese games as multiplatforms, then they saw that Japanese games still don't sell well on XBox, and now all of their recent announcements for Japanese games are PS4 only (or Vita/3DS/Switch). That's the way : you minimize the risks, and when you have more information you can aim better.

But if you're right, then Crystal Dynamics went the other way and did an "all-in", restricting their playerbase without knowing at all how the consoles marketshares would turn out (well, in reality, several months before launch the Xbox One was in an even worse place than now...). Meanwhile, the previous game was obviously already released and sold more on PS3. And the guys just guessed that they could forget about Playstation and that the XBox would win, no need for caution or anything.

How many third party developers placed their bet on restricting the playerbase of an already existing multiplatform IP on an unique console before the launch of the new generation? Not a lot... I honestly don't care about "they didn't know at the time" : they took a risk, unfortunately for them they failed, and now they lost the IP and the CEO his job. If you take a risk with your game or studio and you lose, you're responsible for the risk you took. "I couldn't have known" is an excuse for when you play safe (AKA "go multiplatform"), not when you take a risk.

Jranation said:
I thought lots of PS4 owners wanted this game?

Lots of them do.  Did you not see the sales?