By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Sun/Moon initial shipments above 10m: 3DS record

Wright said:

But the figure of 10 million units is basically overshipping, right? Isn't it kind of lame to inflate your numbers like that from the get-go?

It's a sign (hopefully) that Nintendo will stop undershipping their shit like the NES Mini. Plus game companies do this all the time, I don't see how this is different from those except Nintendo is doing it this go around

Around the Network
Wright said:

But the figure of 10 million units is basically overshipping, right? Isn't it kind of lame to inflate your numbers like that from the get-go?

what makes you think its overshipped?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

StarOcean said:
Wright said:

It's a sign (hopefully) that Nintendo will stop undershipping their shit like the NES Mini. Plus game companies do this all the time, I don't see how this is different from those except Nintendo is doing it this go around

Well, if every game company is doing something kind of lame, and Nintendo does it too, it's still something kind of lame to do, regardless of everyone doing it, no?

Again, overshipping to inflate your numbers is something that tends to get criticised. It happened with Microsoft overshipping Xbox One's to retailers. It happened with Rockstar overshipping Max Payne 3 to stores. The answer of undershipping shouldn't be the opposite extreme, overshipping.

zorg1000 said:
Wright said:

Well, I just don't picture these games selling that amount in quite a while at least.

Wright said:
StarOcean said:

Well, if every game company is doing something kind of lame, and Nintendo does it too, it's still something kind of lame to do, regardless of everyone doing it, no?

Again, overshipping to inflate your numbers is something that tends to get criticised. It happened with Microsoft overshipping Xbox One's to retailers. It happened with Rockstar overshipping Max Payne 3 to stores. The answer of undershipping shouldn't be the opposite extreme, overshipping.

I don't believe companies overship intentionally, that doesn't benefit them. Or at least, I don't think they do it on purpose. I think it's to show they're confident in their product and expect it to sell a lot. Since Christmas and Black Friday are around the corner I could see companies allocating  extra stock

Around the Network
Wright said:
StarOcean said:

Problem is pokemon isnt overshipped. 

Pokemon XY shipped 7mil fw. End of year had 11.62mil shipped

ORAS was 7.7mil shipped under 2 weeks. It had shipments of over 9mil by years end. 

Sun/Moon has 10mil. Theyll sell way over 10mil sold thru and have at least 14mil shipped+digital by years end. 

Sun/Moon isnt overshipped. Its basically on point. Especially if sell thru fw could potienally be around 7mil FW (or more)

Wright said:
zorg1000 said:

Well, I just don't picture these games selling that amount in quite a while at least.

quite a while as in how long? 1 month?

According to this site, both X/Y & OR/AS had sold about 6.5 million in a month. S/M are the most pre-ordered games in company history and the install base is much larger than in 2013/2014 when those games released so its safe to assume they will sell a good deal better in a similar timeframe.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I don't know, guys. I guess time will say, I suppose.

I will be interesting to see the hardware boost

Wright said:

I don't know, guys. I guess time will say, I suppose.

Itll be proven either b4 years end or in q3 report next year. If its over 11mil then it proves its not overshipped as why would retailers take extra orders if they have plenty :)