By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch vs WiiU vs Xbox One vs PS4 (Last Update: January 12, 2017)

Considering Nintendo´s insane tallent of producing high-quality Graphics even on underpowered systems like the Wii, they will likely compete with MSony in that department with the Swith despite having lower performance in the system.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

This is an extension of my original 2011 thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136756

That old thread is fun to read, especially the first half of 2012:

"The difference between the WiiU and the Xbox Next is marginal. Similar in the difference between GameCube and Xbox."

"i really don't think we will get PS4 in 2013, plus i don't think it will be called PS4"

"I am pretty sure they wont use x86 cant see the advantage here."

"Its stacking up to be a very much equal three way race in tech power. Personally, I think Wii U is making the smarter choices.
CPUs are looking to be neXtBox>Wii U>PS4.
GPUs are looking to be nextBox>=PS4>Wii U
GPU race is a little more complicated tho. It really is going to depend on the tweaks each manufacture has done to the base chip. Off the shelf, I'd argue Wii U's GPU is greater than PS4s, but I know Sony will be adjusting that greatly, so in the end they will be slightly better considering its going with a design a few years newer.
All in all... the three will easily beat down current gen and will be remarkably similar in capabilities to each other."

"Sounds good. If this is true and the WiiU gets the 3rd party games as suggested, it seems as though maybe the WiiU will be the only 8th gen console I need."

"If these specs were to hold up as we see them listed, the PS4 would certainly be the least capable of the 3 systems."

"from the rumors we have now.... neXtBox will probably be stronger than WiiU while PS4 might not be."

"Wii has rumored in OP of 1.5gb to 2gb. 720 has 2gb and PS4 has 1Gb."

PS4-rumour: "4-core AMD CPU, GPU around 1840 GFLOPS,2 GB RAM, could be 4 GB" - "There is no way Sony will put a literally brand new design ($600+ APU) into the PS4. Its just not going to happen."

P.S.: September 2012

"IMO, the idea that console having 4GB RAM is ludicrous. We're talking about a gaming console, not a computer. There's no reason for them to add cost to something that will not be used. They'll probably go with 2.5 to 3 GB RAM max. Just not a whole GB to the OS like Nintendo does."

"I've discussed multiple times why PS4 can't be a supercomputer compared to WiiU. They don't have the money to make that huge jump in technology that would be required to graphically blow away the WiiU and still make the console affordable. WiiU, or just a little better, will be par for the next generation."

Zekkyou said:

No problem ^^. Tagging the thread, it'll be fun to compare the Switch to the others once details are finalised. Will you be adding the Pro and Scorpio down the line? 

I could do that now honestly. There is enough info out there, but that thread would be better to stick to just comparing the MSony consoles. Have to consider readability of the actual table and more than 4 consoles really starts to get squishy.

Someone could take ownership of that and follow my model for easy cross-talk between the threads...

Great job on the thread. Tag.

superchunk said:
DanneSandin said:
Yes! I remember your old thread very fondly! Great to see you taking on the Switch as well!

So... I'm illiterate when it comes to tech, so could someone maybe explain what all of this means? I've heard that the Switch will be similar to the XboxOne in power (when docked), but going by these specs that doesn't seem likely. But I know nothing of these sort of things, so who knows, right? What will the graphics be like? The draw distance? How will this effect AI and everything else?

Some have stated equal to xboxone or even more, but the rumors have never really purported that and the most accurate people, like Emily and some devs I've seen in GAF, have said it is not at XboxOne power, but they all agree it is a big upgrade from WiiU.

Basically, if my table is accurate as-is, we'll see the capability of nearly all AAA games to be ported to NS with no significant differences as to how they play on XboxOne.

Keep in mind, as NS portable it will only need to push 720p at most and still look as good as XBO while using 1/2 the power. NS will certainly get upticked and have its active cooling turned on when docked to push that up to 900p or 1080p on a TV. That is where, like XBO to PS4, you'll see dips in frame rate and loss of some textures, etc. But, I don't see how, from a technical standpoint, any of the AAA games could not be ported.

Of course January will either show nothing but low end ports or a few to most AAAs to prove my point.

The question is, for how long will the Switch get ports? Soon enough the Pro and Scorpio will be the standards, which means that NS will slip even further away from being competable with most games released. That kinda has me a bit worried actually.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Conina said:
superchunk said:

This is an extension of my original 2011 thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136756

That old thread is fun to read, especially the first half of 2012:

"The difference between the WiiU and the Xbox Next is marginal. Similar in the difference between GameCube and Xbox."

"i really don't think we will get PS4 in 2013, plus i don't think it will be called PS4"

"I am pretty sure they wont use x86 cant see the advantage here."

"Its stacking up to be a very much equal three way race in tech power. Personally, I think Wii U is making the smarter choices.
CPUs are looking to be neXtBox>Wii U>PS4.
GPUs are looking to be nextBox>=PS4>Wii U
GPU race is a little more complicated tho. It really is going to depend on the tweaks each manufacture has done to the base chip. Off the shelf, I'd argue Wii U's GPU is greater than PS4s, but I know Sony will be adjusting that greatly, so in the end they will be slightly better considering its going with a design a few years newer.
All in all... the three will easily beat down current gen and will be remarkably similar in capabilities to each other."

"Sounds good. If this is true and the WiiU gets the 3rd party games as suggested, it seems as though maybe the WiiU will be the only 8th gen console I need."

"If these specs were to hold up as we see them listed, the PS4 would certainly be the least capable of the 3 systems."

"from the rumors we have now.... neXtBox will probably be stronger than WiiU while PS4 might not be."

"Wii has rumored in OP of 1.5gb to 2gb. 720 has 2gb and PS4 has 1Gb."

PS4-rumour: "4-core AMD CPU, GPU around 1840 GFLOPS,2 GB RAM, could be 4 GB" - "There is no way Sony will put a literally brand new design ($600+ APU) into the PS4. Its just not going to happen."

P.S.: September 2012

"IMO, the idea that console having 4GB RAM is ludicrous. We're talking about a gaming console, not a computer. There's no reason for them to add cost to something that will not be used. They'll probably go with 2.5 to 3 GB RAM max. Just not a whole GB to the OS like Nintendo does."

"I've discussed multiple times why PS4 can't be a supercomputer compared to WiiU. They don't have the money to make that huge jump in technology that would be required to graphically blow away the WiiU and still make the console affordable. WiiU, or just a little better, will be par for the next generation."

Lol, yeah, I remember me saying things like that a few years ago! How wrong I were!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I believe you are completely wrong about the Switch spec I'm going with the development kit spec which stated shared DDR3 memory and I think some of the guts of the SOC has been removed to make way for some frame buffer ram. Which is why the development kit only mentions 4 arm cores. Anyway by going with the full spec you have completely ignored Nintendo's normal cost cutting approach of using value hardware and ignored the development kit spec which is normally higher than the retail version. I don't know what the basis for this is.

Personally I think a position in the middle ground is better so you have less way to travel either way as more information comes in.

However I was going to point out the wii u has the wii gpu in addition for compatibility which is used to generate the tablet screen in wii u mode so that's at least 11 gflops on top plus if the wii gpu operates in turbo mode in wii u mode possibly more. It definitely has an additional 11 gflops. That's why the wii u tablet screen is 800x480 to fit perfectly with the output of the original wii gpu. Both gpu's operate together as you have 2 unique screens to generate both the tablet and the main tv display so its unfair to list only the more powerful gpu. It makes it look like the 176 gflops gpu has to generate both screens.

Tag.

bonzobanana said:

I believe you are completely wrong about the Switch spec I'm going with the development kit spec which stated shared DDR3 memory and I think some of the guts of the SOC has been removed to make way for some frame buffer ram. Which is why the development kit only mentions 4 arm cores. Anyway by going with the full spec you have completely ignored Nintendo's normal cost cutting approach of using value hardware and ignored the development kit spec which is normally higher than the retail version. I don't know what the basis for this is.

Personally I think a position in the middle ground is better so you have less way to travel either way as more information comes in.

However I was going to point out the wii u has the wii gpu in addition for compatibility which is used to generate the tablet screen in wii u mode so that's at least 11 gflops on top plus if the wii gpu operates in turbo mode in wii u mode possibly more. It definitely has an additional 11 gflops. That's why the wii u tablet screen is 800x480 to fit perfectly with the output of the original wii gpu. Both gpu's operate together as you have 2 unique screens to generate both the tablet and the main tv display so its unfair to list only the more powerful gpu. It makes it look like the 176 gflops gpu has to generate both screens.

The dev kit was one rumor, my specs are from a couple, more align with the big.little design of tetra soc, are hinted to being accurate by Kim and Emily and it fits the many notions of being less than XBO while better than WiiU.

Yeah I didn't include wiiBC in the wiiu specs as that only performed for Wii games. Do you have link to more GFLOPs on wiiu? That's where it ended with the most confirmed specs in GAF and others.

Miyamotoo said:
superchunk said:
When you put this next to the WiiU is crazy how much of an upgrade NS actually is. I really see this as a potentially killer for Nintendo.

Exactly, Switch upgrade over Wii U will be very noticeable.

I don't know... Switch doesnt seem like much of an upgrade over Wii-U, considering it's coming out 4 1/2 years after, and is being treated like next gen hardware. Plus, even at it's max when docked, it doesnt outperform vanilla PS4 hardware. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon