By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch vs WiiU vs Xbox One vs PS4 (Last Update: January 12, 2017)

Both the PS4 and the Xbox One uses 7 CPU cores for gaming. The Pascal Tegra X2 is capable of 1.5 Tflops FP16, which is 750 Gflops FP32. If you are presuming that it will be cut down to save power for handheld mode, you will have to go lower than 500 Gflops.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

Both the PS4 and the Xbox One uses 7 CPU cores for gaming. The Pascal Tegra X2 is capable of 1.5 Tflops FP16, which is 750 Gflops FP32. If you are presuming that it will be cut down to save power for handheld mode, you will have to go lower than 500 Gflops.

Most likely it will run at lower clocks in handheld mode but at full clock at home console mode.

Yes! I remember your old thread very fondly! Great to see you taking on the Switch as well!

So... I'm illiterate when it comes to tech, so could someone maybe explain what all of this means? I've heard that the Switch will be similar to the XboxOne in power (when docked), but going by these specs that doesn't seem likely. But I know nothing of these sort of things, so who knows, right? What will the graphics be like? The draw distance? How will this effect AI and everything else?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Yes! I remember your old thread very fondly! Great to see you taking on the Switch as well!

So... I'm illiterate when it comes to tech, so could someone maybe explain what all of this means? I've heard that the Switch will be similar to the XboxOne in power (when docked), but going by these specs that doesn't seem likely. But I know nothing of these sort of things, so who knows, right? What will the graphics be like? The draw distance? How will this effect AI and everything else?

Graphical power might be about half an Xbox One.

Teeqoz said:
DanneSandin said:

Graphical power might be about half an Xbox One.

So it will look half as good as Xbox One? Isn't that kinda what Wii U already does?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

At this point there is nothing to really suggest that is so and more that suggest it is at least 500GF. Of course this is a living doc and I'll adjust as info is put forth, but even the GAF thread's more notable members are suggesting this bottom range as well.

Do you have data to show it is 7 cores used in gaming? When I stopped updating my other thread it was officially confirmed as 6.

DanneSandin said:

Some have stated equal to xboxone or even more, but the rumors have never really purported that and the most accurate people, like Emily and some devs I've seen in GAF, have said it is not at XboxOne power, but they all agree it is a big upgrade from WiiU.

Basically, if my table is accurate as-is, we'll see the capability of nearly all AAA games to be ported to NS with no significant differences as to how they play on XboxOne.

Keep in mind, as NS portable it will only need to push 720p at most and still look as good as XBO while using 1/2 the power. NS will certainly get upticked and have its active cooling turned on when docked to push that up to 900p or 1080p on a TV. That is where, like XBO to PS4, you'll see dips in frame rate and loss of some textures, etc. But, I don't see how, from a technical standpoint, any of the AAA games could not be ported.

Of course January will either show nothing but low end ports or a few to most AAAs to prove my point.

superchunk said:
Teeqoz said:

At this point there is nothing to really suggest that is so and more that suggest it is at least 500GF. Of course this is a living doc and I'll adjust as info is put forth, but even the GAF thread's more notable members are suggesting this bottom range as well.

Do you have data to show it is 7 cores used in gaming? When I stopped updating my other thread it was officially confirmed as 6.

Here's an article about each:

X1: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-microsoft-gives-more-cpu-power-to-xbox-one-developers-blog

PS4: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-sony-unlocks-more-cpu-power-for-ps4-game-developers

Zekkyou said:

X1: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-microsoft-gives-more-cpu-power-to-xbox-one-developers-blog

PS4: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-sony-unlocks-more-cpu-power-for-ps4-game-developers

Thank you sir!

superchunk said:
Zekkyou said:

Thank you sir!

No problem ^^. Tagging the thread, it'll be fun to compare the Switch to the others once details are finalised. Will you be adding the Pro and Scorpio down the line?