By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm feeling the Switch will struggle to sell 10 million units.

bubblegamer said:
Reminds me of John Lucas's Wii will sell 200 Million. Nintendo fans like them some predictions!

The crazy thing is he held to that prediction long after Wii stopped selling.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
With all due respect, this will go down in VGC history as one of the worst predictions on the site. Right up there with Gran Turismo 5 and Heavy Rain predictions. :P

Don't forget the thread that stated Knack 2 was going to sell more copies that Super Mario Odyssey due to a larger install base..... 

lol, man this is rich.

CGI-Quality said:
With all due respect, this will go down in VGC history as one of the worst predictions on the site. Right up there with Gran Turismo 5 and Heavy Rain predictions. :P

I remember something like Wii will become best-selling console in history and then the user came back to announce this time with WiiU Nintendo had the stars aligned and would really fulfill the direction they taken with the Wii, and WiiU  would become the best-selling console in history.

EDIT: Oh, found it: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=166018

This is history. The juicy bits:

"Wii U WILL BE THE LEADER of the 8th Generation Consoles BY FAR. It will outsell the XBox One & PlayStation 4 HANDILY throughout the generation."

"Wii U obtains what was denied to Wii. Wii U at last becomes EVERYBODY'S CONSOLE."

"And one more for the road: 240 million LIFETIME Wii U sales."

10 million Switches is a great and worthy contender, but predicting 240M for WiiU is still in the lead.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 24 August 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I thought this was a prediction for this year only. I was like "unless they have a terrible holiday, sure". Then read into it. LOL.

Although, to be fair, I have never been good at predictions. I thought the Wii U would sell at least 50 million coming off of the Wii.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

To be fair, I always thought those incredible low predictions of the Switch stupid from the start. Okay,sure that no one could predict it's success or that even it wouldn't flop, but the single fact that it is part handheld should be enough to tell that at least it would've done better than the Wii U.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

tripenfall said:
CGI-Quality said:

Don't forget the thread that stated Knack 2 was going to sell more copies that Super Mario Odyssey due to a larger install base..... 

Well you can't forget that Knack 1 outsold Mario on WiiU at the UK market =p

mZuzek said:
bubblegamer said:
Reminds me of John Lucas's Wii will sell 200 Million. Nintendo fans like them some predictions!

To be fair he was "only" 50% off on that one, this one is relatively much worse.

but on raw numbers I guess it was even more off... unless we take the WiiU 240M kkkkkk

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Miguel_Zorro said:
Miguel_Zorro said:
I really think everyone should wait until we know more details. People will pull these threads out for giggles in a few years.

When I said people, I meant me.

Man, this made me laugh.

10,000 views in a day lol.

DonFerrari said:
tripenfall said:

Well you can't forget that Knack 1 outsold Mario on WiiU at the UK market =p

mZuzek said:

To be fair he was "only" 50% off on that one, this one is relatively much worse.

but on raw numbers I guess it was even more off... unless we take the WiiU 240M kkkkkk

For the first few years of its time on the market, 200m actually seemed doable, if unlikely. Nintendo literally couldn't keep it on the shelves for like 3 straight years. It was insane. However, it fell off sharpy in its 4th and 5th years, which led to it falling in at about half that number.