By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm feeling the Switch will struggle to sell 10 million units.

bubblegamer said:
Reminds me of John Lucas's Wii will sell 200 Million. Nintendo fans like them some predictions!

Oh wow I forgot that was prediction on this site. Man I wonder if there any people that will still make a serious prediction that we will have a console sell over 200 million.

Around the Network
animegaming said:
bubblegamer said:
Reminds me of John Lucas's Wii will sell 200 Million. Nintendo fans like them some predictions!

Oh wow I forgot that was prediction on this site. Man I wonder if there any people that will still make a serious prediction that we will have a console sell over 200 million.

It were better times back then, as we still could assume any console could break the 200M-barrier. These days nobody expects such things for no console. It's boring.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

mZuzek said:
bubblegamer said:

To be fair he was "only" 50% off on that one, this one is relatively much worse.

True, but his margin of error on his 240 million Wii U prediction are significantly worse...

Dark days ha..

xbebop said:
DonFerrari said:

Well you can't forget that Knack 1 outsold Mario on WiiU at the UK market =p

but on raw numbers I guess it was even more off... unless we take the WiiU 240M kkkkkk

For the first few years of its time on the market, 200m actually seemed doable, if unlikely. Nintendo literally couldn't keep it on the shelves for like 3 straight years. It was insane. However, it fell off sharpy in its 4th and 5th years, which led to it falling in at about half that number.

Yep Wii first couple of years made it seem 200M was possible. So we shouldn't mock anyone making 200M at the time (PS2 reached 160M with a slower start). But people said JohnLucas kept his prevision even while Wii was being taken out of the market.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
CGI-Quality said:
With all due respect, this will go down in VGC history as one of the worst predictions on the site. Right up there with Gran Turismo 5 and Heavy Rain predictions. :P

I remember something like Wii will become best-selling console in history and then the user came back to announce this time with WiiU Nintendo had the stars aligned and would really fulfill the direction they taken with the Wii, and WiiU  would become the best-selling console in history.

EDIT: Oh, found it: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=166018

This is history. The juicy bits:

"Wii U WILL BE THE LEADER of the 8th Generation Consoles BY FAR. It will outsell the XBox One & PlayStation 4 HANDILY throughout the generation."

"Wii U obtains what was denied to Wii. Wii U at last becomes EVERYBODY'S CONSOLE."

"And one more for the road: 240 million LIFETIME Wii U sales."

10 million Switches is a great and worthy contender, but predicting 240M for WiiU is still in the lead.

Holeee S***. Nice find. That has to be the champ.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

This is so golden. I'm sad the writer Isn't here to see this. All consoles should sell a lot unless the developer goes too much anti consumer. NAD Nintendo this time is very pro. So proud to be a switch and Wii u owner(both have amazing games)

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

COKTOE said:
Mnementh said:

I remember something like Wii will become best-selling console in history and then the user came back to announce this time with WiiU Nintendo had the stars aligned and would really fulfill the direction they taken with the Wii, and WiiU  would become the best-selling console in history.

"Wii U WILL BE THE LEADER of the 8th Generation Consoles BY FAR. It will outsell the XBox One & PlayStation 4 HANDILY throughout the generation."

"Wii U obtains what was denied to Wii. Wii U at last becomes EVERYBODY'S CONSOLE."

10 million Switches is a great and worthy contender, but predicting 240M for WiiU is still in the lead.

Holeee S***. Nice find. That has to be the champ.

As someone who has spent more time than anyone arguing against him, I can easily say that he's the craziest person in here through all the years when it comes to ridiculous predictions and statements. And he never, ever owns up to it either, he spends about 50/50 of his time making nonsense predictions and rationalizing why his previous ones went to hell. It's a spectacle for sure.

Among other golden hits from him is Microsoft going bankrupt a few years ago. Or when Metal Gear Solid would become Xbox exclusive and Sony would go bankrupt right after. Or when the entire industry would crash simultaneously, including mobile, social and browser games, PC gaming and traditional console gaming. Genius. OP here is nothing, truly.

Mnementh said:
CGI-Quality said:
With all due respect, this will go down in VGC history as one of the worst predictions on the site. Right up there with Gran Turismo 5 and Heavy Rain predictions. :P

Haha oh boy, you know it is an 2013 thread when the first reply is an reaction image with My Little Pony.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Naum said:
Dont worry it will soon fall of a cliff and sell negative numbers!!

What's interesting is that Wii U in first quarter of 2013. (January-March 2013. period) if I recall had negative shipment of around 30k units in Europe.

People don't realise just how much bad sales Wii U had in around 6 months after launch (if I recall in 6 months Wii U sold only 460k units worldwide), and its crazy to think that some one thought that Switch will selling worse than Wii U. :)