By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

Oh Man! Why people always have to make a big drama about such things. Do you really think a bunch of idiots sitting at Nintendo hardware development team and just suck out the 4 GB of RAM out of nowhere, just coming with a random number and say: "4 GB of RAM is enough, 3x Nintendo Wii U's RAM must be enough?"

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Ganoncrotch said:

@Bold - That is different how? lol. (also it isn't even true, only the Legacy verions which released later are the ones with updated rosters)

But what do you mean they were cross gen games which aren't good examples? Call of Duty:Black Ops was a PS3/360 title which was ported back to the wii, with 1/6th the RAM of those systems and an absolutely Joke of a cpu/gpu in comparison to the Cell and Tri Cored Xenon, how is this not a good example of a company bringing a game to where the money is, not where the system specs are.

edit - One check to google, only Fifa 14 and Fifa 15 were legacy editions on the Wii, considering it started off with Fifa 08, and went on to have special versions of the game featuring 8 on 8 play with Mii's battling it out, I think it's very fair to count Fifa games on the Wii as third party support following where money is at.

Just look at Fifa 2015 sales alone, for a game with 2015 in it's title to sell close to 1million units on a home console in 2015... on a machine with 88mb of RAM literally means that Ram =/= third party support is not correct.

there werent really alot of games ported FROM the PS360 none of the sports examples are true as the Wii version was pretty much closer to the PS2 versions if not the same. Its support, but its still not close to the support that PS360 at least in content

Ps2 ports did not feature Mii support or those additional games... nor the motion controls which were added to the Wii titles, as well as the obvious fact that Fifa 15 was on the Wii but... not the PS2.

Fifa aside though The likes of CoD4, World at War and Black Ops did not feature a PS2 version to start on, they were built as X360/PS3 titles and then were ported down to a machine with less than 1/6th the power... because Money.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Fight-the-Streets said:
Oh Man! Why people always have to make a big drama about such things. Do you really think a bunch of idiots sitting at Nintendo hardware development team and just suck out the 4 GB of RAM out of nowhere, just coming with a random number and say: "4 GB of RAM is enough, 3x Nintendo Wii U's RAM must be enough?"

Maybe it's just me, but what is your point? That the rumour is incorrect or that people at Nintendo do not decide how much system memory their console has?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

My point is that people at Nintendo do know that the RAM is a crucial thing. They made the mistake there already with the Wii U, they will not repeat it, so if they go with 4 GB, they must be sufficient, they have check it (also with 3rd parties).

well, arent xbox one and ps4 alowed to use only a portion of 8 gbs on gaming, while the rest is used on OS?
4Gb seems ok, depending on how much can be used on games.

I more worried about memory bandwidth.

Around the Network

The rumored Switch specs are basically what i said Nintendo would go with for like 2 years. The device is not designed to compete directly with PS4/XBO so having equal specs is not necessary.

The whole point of a hybrid is to unify the software support of their handhelds & consoles into a single ecosystem so the primary type of 3rd party support we should expect is indie, Japanese & kid/family focused software.

When it comes to AAA/mainstream games, Wii level support or what Wii U got in its first year is the level of support we should expect.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Dear gamers of the world

Processing and RAM do not make good games, and they don't ensure success. IF they did, the PSP would have beaten the DS and the original Xbox would have beaten the PS2.

Seriously, you folks have GOT to stop getting so hung up on 'performance' (Framerate, RAM, processing speed, anti-aliasing, etc). you guys are graphics whores, not gamers.

Sincerely:
- a gamer who has been playing too long to focus on graphics over gameplay.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

VGPolyglot said:
Why is everyone saying it's all right for a handheld when Nintendo has specifically been promoting it as a home console?

Because we all know it's a hybrid console and people like to swing it either way to justify their argument! Case in point, the Microsoft Surface is a hybrid device because essentially you can buy enough add on hardware to make it take the place of your laptop and tablet. Now it's not as powerful as most laptops or even in the same price range, but it's modular design allows people to choose what kind of setup that they want or need from the device.

So I don't see why Nintendo offering something similar for gaming is so hard for many to grasp in my opinion!

Well, I would assume retail units is what matters, not what dev kits have?

Runa216 said:
Dear gamers of the world

Processing and RAM do not make good games, and they don't ensure success. IF they did, the PSP would have beaten the DS and the original Xbox would have beaten the PS2.

Seriously, you folks have GOT to stop getting so hung up on 'performance' (Framerate, RAM, processing speed, anti-aliasing, etc). you guys are graphics whores, not gamers.

Sincerely:
- a gamer who has been playing too long to focus on graphics over gameplay.

The argument is third party support e.g 

Skyrim remaster, other ports of current gen games. 

People are arguing specs in context of the above not about whether the console has enough umpf to make good fun games.