By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

So i take it from this thread that people seriously expected to get xbone lvl performence out of a handheld? In 2017? Man, i hope you guys are just concern trolling.

OT: 4gigs of ram is plenty for what the system is packing. Anything more would be like putting 8gigs of RAM in a gtx 750ti. There would be no point. The gpu could never make use of all of it.

Around the Network
Nemesis1993 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

You own a PS4, correct?

PS4 and 3DS,why?

All the big western studios will support PS4 for the foreseeable future. It'll have Mass Effect, Red Dead, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, FIFA, Destiny, Grand Theft Auto, etc. I imagine you like building up your trophy count and have a group of friends you play with on PS4.

Why would you need another system that plays the exact same games? One that would require you to start from scratch with achievements -- if it even has an achievement system -- and recruit a new group of friends.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Nemesis1993 said:

PS4 and 3DS,why?

All the big western studios will support PS4 for the foreseeable future. It'll have Mass Effect, Red Dead, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, FIFA, Destiny, Grand Theft Auto, etc. I imagine you like building up your trophy count and have a group of friends you play with on PS4.

Why would you need another system that plays the exact same games? One that would require you to start from scratch with achievements -- if it even has an achievement system -- and recruit a new group of friends.

I understand your point,but I am not interested to buy a NS,that's because I have a 3DS,I am just saying if Wii U fail without 3rd support (I mean western studios),why you think NS could be different?I expect you understand my point here.

Squall_Leonhart said:
Is 4GB of ram good News?!

If you think about Switch in the proper way, which is a handheld that can be easily docked to play games on your TV, the 4GB RAM is very good news.

If you think about Switch in the wrong way, which is that it is a home console you can unplug from your TV and play on the go, then 4GB RAM is not particularly good news. 

Considering generational leaps normally get you a 10x increase, then the doubliung from Wii U to Switch is poor. But as it represents >10x increase over 3DS then it's good from that perspective.

RAM isn't the be all and end all of technical capability, but it suggests as a handheld Switch is going to do some really impressive things.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

For what Switch is, a portable that connects to your TV, 4GB is fine.

Anyone who was expecting Xbox One/PS4 levels of power in a portable device was living in a dreamworld.

Around the Network
Nemesis1993 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I understand your point,but I am not interested to buy a NS,that's because I have a 3DS,I am just saying if Wii U fail without 3rd support (I mean western studios),why you think NS could be different?I expect you understand my point here.

I do understand what you're saying, and I appreciate it. I think Nintendo shouldn't bother trying to court PS4 and XOne owners with big-name third party games because, as I mentioned before, they already have a place to play those games and friends with whom to play them. That would be Nintendo chasing its weakness. Rather it should chase its strength: first party software and low-cost, accessible tech. Nintendo needs to reduce costs and improve accessibility -- both would be impossible if it pursues "AAA" western third parties.

binary solo said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Is 4GB of ram good News?!

If you think about Switch in the proper way, which is a handheld that can be easily docked to play games on your TV, the 4GB RAM is very good news.

If you think about Switch in the wrong way, which is that it is a home console you can unplug from your TV and play on the go, then 4GB RAM is not particularly good news. 

The "wrong way" being... the way Nintendo themself is promoting it, as a home console full stop?  
Can hardly blame them for taking N at it's word.
N's problem is that if it's taken as the replacement handheld (which is indeed a big step up from 3ds) then 3ds sales tank.
That's why they are pushing it as home console, cutting off Wii U but continuing to push 3ds.
Problem there is N wanting to have their cake and eat it too.  

my laptop has 4x that + 1x that on the graphics card

I love this forum :D

Thing is, portable performance is one thing, console mode is another.
If they want to push it as Wii U replacement, console mode performance needs to count.
As I see it though, they can help that by simple upclocking (also core un-locks, but that is more complicated).
To enable the upclock, they need to have power supply and cooling, between fans, solid state cooling etc.
There is also the rumor that 2GB more RAM would be available in console mode,
which makes sense if they want to enable higher 1080p resolution there (wasted in handheld because screen),
and battery concerns re: RAM power consumption don't apply in console mode like in handheld.
This isn't just about 3rd party ports from Sony/MS, but about next generation of N console games.
Although one question that comes up if there is significant performance/resolution difference between modes,
is texture size, will it be just one size (which seems not ideal for one mode or another) or is there other approach?
(esp. given the files are on cartridge/flash, the low res texture for handheld mode could be "augmented" by
additional pixels to "fill it out" for higher res texture for console mode (needing less space than 100% separate hi res texture file)