By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

bigtakilla said:
asqarkabab said:

Nintendobis very secretive on this matter so we have to wait till january 12th to see if there is so secret sauce in the switch 

But i think it will be priced well and it will be a success

I think it will be priced well and be a success as well, it just in no way will be powerful.

Lets wait and see till the given date 

But i think nintendo wants to go the blue ocean strategy that means cheaper device maximal margin

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
asqarkabab said:
bigtakilla said:

I think it will be priced well and be a success as well, it just in no way will be powerful.

But i think nintendo wants to go the blue ocean strategy that means cheaper device maximal margin

Well, I mean we are here to talk about this rumor correct? If so, it's pretty definitive that this will be a weak console.

Granted I don't give ER one single ounce of credibility, but Eurogamer has also said the specs of the dev kits float around the same specs.

bigtakilla said:
asqarkabab said:

Well, I mean we are here to talk about this rumor correct? If so, it's pretty definitive that this will be a weak console.

Granted I don't give ER one single ounce of credibility, but Eurogamer has also said the specs of the dev kits float around the same specs.

Maybe they will change the specs more RAM etc

I dont believe this rumours till i see it personally and its finaly out

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

asqarkabab said:
bigtakilla said:

Right on, but I could also seem them trying to push for hh, hc parity over NS, Xbone parity. 

Jon-Erich said:
4GB isn't bad for a mobile device, which s basically what the Switch is. Third parties might be able to manage. After all, the Xbox 360 had twice as much ram as the PS3 and third parties managed that.

PS3

Memory:

• 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
  • 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

Xbox360

Xbox 360 has 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz.

Ps3's CPU can also access the Vram as required and visa versa, basically it would be easy to have it use the total 512mb at the 700MHZ which the X360 has.

but yeah basically the X360 and PS3 both contain 512mb of ram.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
asqarkabab said:

Right on, but I could also seem them trying to push for hh, hc parity over NS, Xbone parity. 

Lets see what they will do till january 12th

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Trunkin said:
So i take it from this thread that people seriously expected to get xbone lvl performence out of a handheld? In 2017? Man, i hope you guys are just concern trolling.

OT: 4gigs of ram is plenty for what the system is packing. Anything more would be like putting 8gigs of RAM in a gtx 750ti. There would be no point. The gpu could never make use of all of it.

So much this, not only would the system with the potential processing power we've heard in rumours suggesting it will have never be really capable of filling up 8+GB of memory, Ram needs to have current in it all the time, you can lower the frequency of the memory but you cannot dynamically power down certain banks of RAM inside a system if it isn't used, it has to be powered to still register as 0's if it isn't filled, so yeah not only would doubling the memory beyond what the system would ever use not boost performance .... it would cost battery life by a fairly large amount.

Also consider the fact this system is going to be using games on solid state memory, the bandwidth increase using Carts could be massive, I really hope Nintendo don't allow people think they're taking a step backwards to cartridge based game storage, but instead let people know that they are using carts for the solid state bandwidth boost and also how it should allow the system to play games without the need of installations as we have on the other 2 systems on the market now.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

bigtakilla said:

It would be a hard sell to say this is an actual full gen leap from Wii U....

Let's face it though, that was never going to happen.

The technology to cram a generational leap above Wii U into a portable form factor just isn't there yet.

Ganoncrotch said:
Trunkin said:
So i take it from this thread that people seriously expected to get xbone lvl performence out of a handheld? In 2017? Man, i hope you guys are just concern trolling.

OT: 4gigs of ram is plenty for what the system is packing. Anything more would be like putting 8gigs of RAM in a gtx 750ti. There would be no point. The gpu could never make use of all of it.

So much this, not only would the system with the potential processing power we've heard in rumours suggesting it will have never be really capable of filling up 8+GB of memory, Ram needs to have current in it all the time, you can lower the frequency of the memory but you cannot dynamically power down certain banks of RAM inside a system if it isn't used, it has to be powered to still register as 0's if it isn't filled, so yeah not only would doubling the memory beyond what the system would ever use not boost performance .... it would cost battery life by a fairly large amount.

Also consider the fact this system is going to be using games on solid state memory, the bandwidth increase using Carts could be massive, I really hope Nintendo don't allow people think they're taking a step backwards to cartridge based game storage, but instead let people know that they are using carts for the solid state bandwidth boost and also how it should allow the system to play games without the need of installations as we have on the other 2 systems on the market now.

Where can I buy these affordable magic speed sd cards? Except the very expensive U3 UHS-II cards, they're all slower than a 5400 rpm hdd. Yes you do eliminate the seek speed, but if a game is optimized for reading from HDD it will outperform a cheap mass produced sd card.

Hopefully it will support UHS-II SDXC, it's $90 and up for a 128GB card but that will come down. Those can actually write as fast as a 5400 rpm drive and read over twice as fast. But I doubt games will come on those...

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

It would be a hard sell to say this is an actual full gen leap from Wii U....

Let's face it though, that was never going to happen.

The technology to cram a generational leap above Wii U into a portable form factor just isn't there yet.

But it has more than been there for consoles. And cheap too. It wouldn't have been hard for Nintendo to make a actual console. Instead they made a tablet that is a fraction of the power of a console, and declared it a home console.