By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

mutantsushi said:
binary solo said:

If you think about Switch in the proper way, which is a handheld that can be easily docked to play games on your TV, the 4GB RAM is very good news.

If you think about Switch in the wrong way, which is that it is a home console you can unplug from your TV and play on the go, then 4GB RAM is not particularly good news. 

The "wrong way" being... the way Nintendo themself is promoting it, as a home console full stop?  
Can hardly blame them for taking N at it's word.
N's problem is that if it's taken as the replacement handheld (which is indeed a big step up from 3ds) then 3ds sales tank.
That's why they are pushing it as home console, cutting off Wii U but continuing to push 3ds.
Problem there is N wanting to have their cake and eat it too.  

Yes, I realise Nintendo was trying to court home comsole players. After all, it is the home console Nintendo fanbase that is most likely to feel abandoned by Nintendo moving to Switch as its only 9th gen offering. And it is a genuinely 9th gen handheld. And, as you say , Nintendo is still interested in 3DS having one final decent holiday.  So I can understand Nintendo's rather hamfisted PR tring to make Switch out as a home console first. But when you look at the promo video I think a lot more time is spent showing Switch being used as a handheld, i.e. look at all the cool ways you can play this on the go. And if you apply any sort of logic to the situation you will look at Switch in the "right " way despite Nintendo's recent PR.

They don;t want 3DS

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Squall_Leonhart said:
Is 4GB of ram good News?!

For Nintendo themselves yes it is

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Nemesis1993 said:
zorg1000 said:

Wii U had Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Arkham City, Mass Effect, Madden, FIFA, NBA 2K all on day 1 and it sold like shit.

Those types of games are not going to decide whether Switch is a success or failure.

Sport games and port of 7th games ¬¬ where is the Witcher 3,Metal Gear Solid V,Fallout 4,Destiny,Batman Arkham Knight...try understand I am not saying just about these games,I am saying about big AAA western games,like Red Dead Redemption 2,Mass Effect Andromeda next year,without 3rd AAA party support,it's like Wii U

ports of major PS3/360 games did nothing for Wii U, why would ports of major PS4/XBO games do anything for Switch?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

asqarkabab said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Is 4GB of ram good News?!

It would be a hard sell to say this is an actual full gen leap from Wii U.... So yes it is may be a bit much.

binary solo said:

Yes, I realise Nintendo was trying to court home comsole players. After all, it is the home console Nintendo fanbase that is most likely to feel abandoned by Nintendo moving to Switch as its only 9th gen offering. And it is a genuinely 9th gen handheld. And, as you say , Nintendo is still interested in 3DS having one final decent holiday. 

They don;t want 3DS

Yeah, but honestly if they had a problem with replacing 3DS, they should have waited until next holiday season to replace both at once.
If anything, they could hold back some mid-year Wii U games to launch them at holiday as cross-games with Switch.
And the delay would if anything help them get a better product, with a lower power 10nm process, maybe cheaper RAM/flash/screens.
(I'm somewhat holding out on whether they manage 10nm by next spring, but they could for sure do it, and probably better process, by Xmas 2017)...

It looks like your comment on 3DS at the end of your post was cut off or something...

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:

It would be a hard sell to say this is an actual full gen leap from Wii U.... So yes it is may be a bit much.

Nintendo has been slow-pedaling their generation upgrades for quite a while, from GC->Wii->WiiU now to Switch.
We are now just at the point where the implications of that mean their home console is now high-tier handheld level.
It's not really a new trend for them.  
And to be fair, Wii U was very short vs. Sony/MS and previous Wii gen, so relative upgrade of next gen is logically smaller.

4GB isn't bad for a mobile device, which s basically what the Switch is. Third parties might be able to manage. After all, the Xbox 360 had twice as much ram as the PS3 and third parties managed that.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

mutantsushi said:
bigtakilla said:

Nintendo has been slow-pedaling their generation upgrades for quite a while, from GC->Wii->WiiU now to Switch.
We are now just at the point where the implications of that mean their home console is now high-tier handheld level.
It's not really a new trend for them.  
And to be fair, Wii U was very short vs. Sony/MS and previous Wii gen, so relative upgrade of next gen is logically smaller.

But it's still lagging behind products that will be in their forth year when NS release. If they were on regular gen cycles (5 years) generally we'd be hearing about all the 9th gen consoles. This doesn't even match up with 8th.

bigtakilla said:
asqarkabab said:

Nintendobis very secretive on this matter so we have to wait till january 12th to see if there is so secret sauce in the switch 

But i think it will be priced well and it will be a success

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

asqarkabab said:
bigtakilla said:

Nintendobis very secretive on this matter so we have to wait till january 12th to see if there is so secret sauce in the switch 

But i think it will be priced well and it will be a success

I think it will be priced well and be a success as well, it just in no way will be powerful.