By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo switch (or NS) the start of Gen 9?

Start of gen 8

Yes 74 24.58%

No 112 37.21%

Gens are now dead 115 38.21%

Total:301

It's part of the "Who gives a damn" gen.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Nogamez said:

Yeah so like when Sega dc launched mid gen between gen 4 and 5 that was the proclaimed first generation 5 system although things where much simpler back then. Hardware simply doubled the bit power 8 16 32 etc and as DC was the first128 bit console boom new generation.  

So I was wondering would you class NS as gen 9, 8.5 or just nothing are gens now dead with the ps4 pro Scorpio switch.

Woops I got the gens mixed uplease I meant start off gen 9

PS apparently some people are really mad 😂😂😂 because I made a mistake in the thead title but just to clarify it won't let me edit the thread title. I sincerely apologise for this shocking oversight and for making your day worse. 

Depending on which rumours will happen to be true about it, the Switch could be anywhere between 7.75th and 8.5th gen.   

And people getting mad for that mistake add fun to the thread, so don't fix it!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Personally I find 'Generations' is also defined by their games and how it aligns with their competitors. So I consider the NS to be 8th gen as they're games are looking to be in lined with the PS4/XB1 having the same multiplats.
Wii U was more of a Gen 7.5, but still in 7th gen since a number of their multiplat games were also on PS3/XB360.

...in summary its a late 8th gen console for me.

Hmm lots of different opinions which is cool and no sign of a slanging match. Good work vgcharterz or whatever we are called! I think for me I'm gonna just think my old way of thinking ie 16 32 64 128 gen 4 5 6 7 etc gens are now a thing off the past.

The same gen as X1 and PS4 because it's competing with them.

Around the Network

This gen, Nintendo is having 2 machines this time around which was the way to go, to me WiiU was the cross between 2 generations, only took them longer than it should, WiiU should've launched at least a year earlier, and the Ns should've been in the market last year, WiiU period is behind us now but they made many mistakes they should learn from, and make a 90% complete launch this time around

Conina said:
potato_hamster said:
The argument is flawed. The entire concept of console generations was completely arbitrary to begin with and will remain completely arbitrary. Is the NS part of the 8th gen, 9th gen? 10 gen? Decide for yourselves. You've just been going by someone's random decision this whole time anyways.

Eventually it doesn't even matter. It has to compete with the PS4, PS4 Pro, XBO, Scorpio (and PC and 2017 tablets and 2017 smartphones) anyways.

It never mattered. The whole concept of generations is silly.

Conina said:
Intrinsic said:
I look at gen markers as whenever there is hardware that is incompatible with the hardware it's replacing. So if all the switch games are playable on the wiiU then it's still Gen 8. If you can't play all the NS games on the wiiU then the NS is nintendos 9th generation console

You can't play all DSi games on the DS, you can't play all new 3DS games on the 3DS... so DSi + new 3DS were new gens? ;)

In the case of DS and 3DS they had a pretty insignificant number of games that weren't playable between then. on Switch they are totally incompatible, so you know you were streaching the concept.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

spemanig said:
I can't believe the "gens are dead" option is winning the polls.

I can.

You barely notice a "upgrade" anymore when going gen to gen.

What can the Switch do, graphically that couldnt be done in the 8th gen?

Is there something that sets it apart? or is it just a meaningless number we use to to count how many systems have been made?

In all aspects basically the Switch will be weaker/less able to do graphics, than the XB1 & PS4.

That doesnt say "new gen" to me.

Its just a meaningless number.

Conina said:
Cloudman said:
I think most people can at least agree that the Switch is Ninten's 9th gen console.

Even Nintendo itself doesn't agree with that. The Switch is Ninten's 7th gen console.

Wait, when did Ninten say that?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread