By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo switch (or NS) the start of Gen 9?

Start of gen 8

Yes 74 24.58%

No 112 37.21%

Gens are now dead 115 38.21%

Total:301

It's gen 9. No matter how powerful it is or that there are still a few years left of 8th gen for Sony and MS due to more powerful machines being released.

Around the Network

I can't believe the "gens are dead" option is winning the polls.

I think most people can at least agree that the Switch is Ninten's 9th gen console.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

at some point you guys are going to have to give up on the idea of gens just being +1 every time a console releases.

nintendo isn't supporting their consoles as long as the other guys and pretty soon nintendo and sony are going to release a console on the same day and people are going to say sony's is a gen 10 console and nintendo is a gen 11. at that point i think you guys have fundamentally ignored the dictionary definition of what "generation" means.

gen·er·a·tion
1. all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively.

ps4 pro isn't a new generation by the traditional definition but switch belongs with the ps4 pro and scorpio.

The argument is flawed. The entire concept of console generations was completely arbitrary to begin with and will remain completely arbitrary. Is the NS poart of the 8th gen, 9th gen? 10 gen? Decide for yourselves. You've just been going by someone's random decision this whole time anyways.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
I think most people can at least agree that the Switch is Ninten's 9th gen console.

Even Nintendo itself doesn't agree with that. The Switch is Ninten's 7th gen console.

potato_hamster said:
The argument is flawed. The entire concept of console generations was completely arbitrary to begin with and will remain completely arbitrary. Is the NS part of the 8th gen, 9th gen? 10 gen? Decide for yourselves. You've just been going by someone's random decision this whole time anyways.

Eventually it doesn't even matter. It has to compete with the PS4, PS4 Pro, XBO, Scorpio (and PC and 2017 tablets and 2017 smartphones) anyways.

spemanig said:
I can't believe the "gens are dead" option is winning the polls.

I can, when before has their been so much dispute over what generation a system is part of? The arguing over what generation the Switch and even the PS4 Pro and Scorpio are in shows that industry-wide console generations are now a flawed concept.

Why should Switch be an "eight generation" system or a "ninth generation" system. It doesn't fit into either category perfectly. So why bother trying to cram it into some arbitrary group at all?

Generations are no longer clear cut and there's really no need to have defined generations any more, not sure why people are so bothered and try so hard to group very different systems together.

Barkley said:

I can, when before has their been so much dispute over what generation a system is part of? The arguing over what generation the Switch and even the PS4 Pro and Scorpio are in shows that industry-wide console generations are now a flawed concept.

Why should Switch be an "eight generation" system or a "ninth generation" system. It doesn't fit into either category perfectly. So why bother trying to cram it into some arbitrary group at all?

Generations are no longer clear cut and there's really no need to have defined generations any more, not sure why people are so bothered and try so hard to group very different systems together.

You misunderstand. I agree, and have been saying so for years. I just can't believe we're out a point now where that's the leading consensus.

spemanig said:

You misunderstand. I agree, and have been saying so for years. I just can't believe we're out a point now where that's the leading consensus.

Ah, so you're intelligent. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But yeah... It's a bit odd as most of the people actually posting seem to think generations are still very much a thing and are important for some reason.