By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo switch (or NS) the start of Gen 9?

Start of gen 8

Yes 74 24.58%

No 112 37.21%

Gens are now dead 115 38.21%

Total:301

I look at gen markers as whenever there is hardware that is incompatible with the hardware it's replacing. So if all the switch games are playable on the wiiU then it's still Gen 8. If you can't play all the NS games on the wiiU then the NS is nintendos 9th generation console.

in all honestly, the generation naming system is flawed, not cause it isn't good to have generations but because of how the are grouped together. Cause if we really wanna get into it, the PS4 is sonys 4th generation console. The XB1 is MS's 3rd generation console and the NS is nintendos 7th generation console.

Around the Network
Conina said:
lionpetercarmoo said:
LOL do you organisms really think Gens are dead.

Gens aren't dead, but gen classification is.

How they are all based on the type of power they have which classifies them into that particular generation.

Intrinsic said:
I look at gen markers as whenever there is hardware that is incompatible with the hardware it's replacing. So if all the switch games are playable on the wiiU then it's still Gen 8. If you can't play all the NS games on the wiiU then the NS is nintendos 9th generation console

You can't play all DSi games on the DS, you can't play all new 3DS games on the 3DS... so DSi + new 3DS were new gens? ;)

Remains to be seen. The WiiU and Switch basically messed things up. Not without precedent though, the Atari 2600 and 5200 are also considered to be in the same gen because of the latter's short life.

The NS is the beginning of a 1000 year long generation.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

If you really want to force it into a generation, it's a 9th generation console until proven otherwise due to being the successor to Nintendo's 8th generation console (Wii U), which in turn was the successor to Nintendo's 7th generation console (Wii). But aligning Switch with the next generation of Playstation and possibly Xbox seems kind of stupid right now because they're still so far away, so I'd say the concept of console generations is yet again blurred here. It looks like we're moving towards console generations internal to each console company (i.e. Sony has its own generations, and so does Nintendo) and possibly no generations at all (which seems to be the case with Microsoft).

Conina said:
Intrinsic said:
I look at gen markers as whenever there is hardware that is incompatible with the hardware it's replacing. So if all the switch games are playable on the wiiU then it's still Gen 8. If you can't play all the NS games on the wiiU then the NS is nintendos 9th generation console

You can't play all DSi games on the DS, you can't play all new 3DS games on the 3DS... so DSi + new 3DS were new gens? ;)

that will be where the .5 desigbation comes into play. 

lionpetercarmoo said:
Conina said:

Gens aren't dead, but gen classification is.

How they are all based on the type of power they have which classifies them into that particular generation.

No they're not, The Wii was in the seventh generation. They were classified based on release date. No one would claim a machine released now is a "seventh generation" console no matter what it's power is.

Generations aren't classified on power and never have been. Release date classification is no longer applicable with Nintendo being so out of sync.

There's no reason to have shared generations and as evident by the amount of arguments it's causing it's clearly a dated concept that no longer applies.

I usually don't include handhelds with console generations. Knee jerk response was going to be "it's 8th gen."

Going by these console upgrade trends... Gen 8.5?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."