By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo switch (or NS) the start of Gen 9?

Start of gen 8

Yes 74 24.58%

No 112 37.21%

Gens are now dead 115 38.21%

Total:301

The classification into hardware generations becomes less and less important every new generation.

Will it help the Switch to be a 9th generation console, if most 8th generation consoles are even faster?

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
  The whole concept of unified console generations is kind of silly and very forced together...

This. It goes with the expectation that all competitors launch their products very close to another, that the strategies are similar and that the successors are launched within 5 - 6 years, no matter if the product is successful or not. 

P.S.: What annoys me is when thread creators are don't know even the basics (f.e. what console generation we are in) and are even too lazy to fix their mistake (f.e. editing the thread title) after they found out their error.

What with this same stupid thread... duplicate thread.... and unless you want a stupid answer don't ask stupid questions!

No, it's gen 9 alongside ps4 pro and xbox scorpio

Power wise its def. not 9th gen.
Competition wise its def. not 9th gen.

I see it as a 8th gen device, because of its power & competition.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Jumpin said:
  The whole concept of unified console generations is kind of silly and very forced together...

This. It goes with the expectation that all competitors launch their products very close to another, that the strategies are similar and that the successors are launched within 5 - 6 years, no matter if the product is successful or not. 

P.S.: What annoys me is when thread creators are don't know even the basics (f.e. what console generation we are in) and are even too lazy to fix their mistake (f.e. editing the thread title) after they found out their error.

It won't let me edit thread title. If you actually read the OP before gobbing off you would have realised this........

It's Nintendo's Gen 7. That's what matters.

Why there is a need to align it with competitor's products that don't even exist escapes me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

There is no "Gen 9".

Nintendo's console release is too far away from the other "Gen 9" machines.

Shared generations are a thing of the past, it makes no sense to group the Switch with the distant PS5, nor does it make much sense to group it with the ps4 either.

There's no reason to group machines from different companies into shared generations.

It's Nintendo's next generation machine.

Jranation said:
If its gen 8, hopefully it can bring down PS4's market share XD

Ha yeah and now vgchartz has another console to track lol good luck with that 😂

no, NS just caught up to 8th gen.

WiiU was 7th.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5