By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo switch (or NS) the start of Gen 9?

Start of gen 8

Yes 74 24.58%

No 112 37.21%

Gens are now dead 115 38.21%

Total:301

Yeah so like when Sega dc launched mid gen between gen 4 and 5 that was the proclaimed first generation 5 system although things where much simpler back then. Hardware simply doubled the bit power 8 16 32 etc and as DC was the first128 bit console boom new generation.  

So I was wondering would you class NS as gen 9, 8.5 or just nothing are gens now dead with the ps4 pro Scorpio switch.

Woops I got the gens mixed uplease I meant start off gen 9

PS apparently some people are really mad 😂😂😂 because I made a mistake in the thead title but just to clarify it won't let me edit the thread title. I sincerely apologise for this shocking oversight and for making your day worse. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Same gen as PS4/Xbox One. ie. 8th gen.

So would you say you can have two consoles per gen? Seems a bit greedy

Hold on am I a gen out lol are we in 7the or 8th generation lol

Traditional hardware generations are dead. We will now have OS based generations. NS will be Nintendos 9th gen OS, and it will have multiple hardare revisions over the next 10 years. I don't expect Sony or Microsoft to come out with 9th gen OS's for a long time, as Scorpio and Pro will very likely be followed up by a 3rd revision to the XBO and PS4 platforms.

Things are very exciting in the games first hardware market. It is great to see all three companies lokking to extend their lead in the gaming market while going after the broader market as well. I will be very happy if we end up with multiple options for home and mobile computing in the future. The days of MS, Apple, and Google can't end fast enough.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

The problem with the idea of a mid-gen console is the fact that none of them have been succesful. The Virtual Boy, the Genesis add-ons, 3DO, Atari JAguar, Phlips CDi, the Dreamcast... all of them failed to meet their sales expenctations. The PS4 pro, the Scorpio and the Switch are possibly the first mid gen consoles that won't fail. So we don't really have a precedent. It's even less clear with the Switch, since not only is not an upgraded version like the Scorpio or the Pro, but it's a hybrid concept never seen before. So I have no idea. I would say the Switch is 9th gen, but at the same time that still seems to far...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

It's Gen 9 in my book!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Its 10th Gen

If its gen 8, hopefully it can bring down PS4's market share XD

Pocky Lover Boy! 

ktay95 said:
Its 10th Gen

Yes! NX! X for 10! 

And because 7 8 9 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

As far as Nintendo's concerned, this is their 7th generation.
Realistically, the whole concept of unified console generations is kind of silly and very forced together, especially before the NES and SMS.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.