By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

HintHRO said:
Nintendo is still making a lot of big mistakes with the Switch:
- After almost 2 years still no streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime
- Still no Internet browser
- Games consists mostly of overpriced ports
- Disastrous voice chat applications
- No messaging system or activity hub
- No virtual console (no, overpriced Wii U ports don't count)
- Expensive as hell hardware/controllers

In many regards the Switch is even a downgrade compared to Wii U, but the portability somehow makes Nintendo immune to the negativity like they are some sort of Jesus.

And yet its selling like hotcakes.Makes you wonder if those "negatives" are really negatives. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Conina said:
Wyrdness said:

No portable console last gen had even close to NS power

When the PSP launched, the most powerful home console were the Xbox and GameCube.

When the Vita launched, the most powerful home console were the PS3 and Xbox 360.

When the Switch launched, the most powerful home console was the PS4 Pro.

The power difference between Vita and PS3/Xbox 360 is probably smaller than the power difference between Switch and PS4 Pro.

The Vita had 150% RAM of the PS3/Xbox360, The Switch has ~45% RAM of the PS4 Pro.

PSP is not even close to Xbox's power and the power difference between Vita and 360/PS3 is comparable to the difference between Switch and base model PS4/X1 you're comparing enhanced models which skewers the point plus Vita came out a year before PS4 practically the end of the 360/PS3 life span, it still wasn't a HD device either as the tech for that wasn't viable in the portable market. When looking at the base models which is what all games are built around and what the mass market of consumers have the context becomes far more apparent which is why games like Doom can be ported over with good results.

In order for his claim that as a portable it's last gen to be true the would have to be a portable that is comparable to NS' power now as it goes NS on launch was the most powerful dedicate portable gaming device by miles going from all previous devices.

HintHRO said:

In many regards the Switch is even a downgrade compared to Wii U, but the portability somehow makes Nintendo immune to the negativity like they are some sort of Jesus.

The fact that the Switch is doing so well proves how little people care about these things. I'm fairly certain that even if they fixed all those 'mistakes', it would barely have any influence on the sales. And that's why the OP was so wrong: he totally failed to understand what makes a console successful and what doesn't.

Nautilus said:
HintHRO said:

And yet its selling like hotcakes.Makes you wonder if those "negatives" are really negatives. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

They are negatives, no question about that. If they matter in the view of most consumers, that seems not so much the case. At least as long as no competition for the value Switch offers does it better.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Nautilus said:

They are negatives, no question about that. If they matter in the view of most consumers, that seems not so much the case. At least as long as no competition for the value Switch offers does it better.

There are some here that are indeed minor annoyances, for sure.Like having no messaging system.But not only the original poster wrote these as some big negatives that are major in any kind of way, but some points there are relative about its influence over the console desirebility.Is having no internet explorer really a negative for a gaming system?In a world where phones have much better internet browsers than game consoles could ever have?The overused and blatant lie(at the very least for the most part) of overpriced ports?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Conina said:

The power difference between Vita and PS3/Xbox 360 is probably smaller than the power difference between Switch and PS4 Pro.

The Vita had 150% RAM of the PS3/Xbox360, The Switch has ~45% RAM of the PS4 Pro.

Diminishing returns. The customers don't care about technical differences, they care about the result. And the result is, Switch can offer experiences like Zelda, Doom or Skyrim. Vita and PSP had not so much comparable experiences.

PSP could offer experiences like GTA: LCS + VCS, God of War: CoO + GoS, Burnout Legends, MGS Peace Walker, Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, LittleBigPlanet, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Crisis Core...

Vita could offer experiences like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Gravity Rush, WipeOut 2048, Sly Cooper 4, Soul Sacrifice, Persona 4 Golden...

Wyrdness said:

PSP is not even close to Xbox's power and the power difference between Vita and 360/PS3 is comparable to the difference between Switch and base model PS4/X1

Yeah, the difference between these two handheld generations and their home console counterparts is comparable. That was my main point.

I would have expected a "Vita 2"/"PSP 3" in 2017 or 2018 with a similar performance of the Switch if the Vita had been more successful. Since it ain't happening, I'm glad that Nintendo picked up pace instead of releasing a handheld with a generational leap compared to the 3DS but only minor advantages compared to the Vita specs.

Wyrdness said:

plus Vita came out a year before PS4

Almost two years... 23 months, but who's counting?

Conina said:

PSP could offer experiences like GTA: LCS + VCS, God of War: CoO + GoS, Burnout Legends, MGS Peace Walker, Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, LittleBigPlanet, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Crisis Core...

Vita could offer experiences like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Gravity Rush, WipeOut 2048, Sly Cooper 4, Soul Sacrifice, Persona 4 Golden...

Ya but most of those were built for PSP/Vita rather than being ports of the console versions so its not quite the same as Switch getting things like Doom, Wolf II, ARK, etc.

Conina said:

Yeah, the difference between these two handheld generations and their home console counterparts is comparable. That was my main point.

I would have expected a "Vita 2"/"PSP 3" in 2017 or 2018 with a similar performance of the Switch

Overall I agree, Switch is pretty similar to what i expect a PSP3 would be.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Conina said:
Wyrdness said:

PSP is not even close to Xbox's power and the power difference between Vita and 360/PS3 is comparable to the difference between Switch and base model PS4/X1

I would have expected a "Vita 2"/"PSP 3" in 2017 or 2018 with a similar performance of the Switch if the Vita had been more successful. Since it ain't happening, I'm glad that Nintendo picked up pace instead of releasing a handheld with a generational leap compared to the 3DS but only minor advantages compared to the Vita specs.

Wyrdness said:

plus Vita came out a year before PS4

Almost two years... 23 months, but who's counting?

Your point doesn't really match any context in my reply because the claim he made was that Switch is last gen when seen as a portable in order for that to happen a dedicated gaming portable of Switch's power would need to already be out you response essentially has no real point here.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

From what I can tell forum-dwellers don't understand why the Switch is succeeding either.  For that matter they don't even really understand why the PS4 is succeeding.  Being able to follow a trend-curve is not really understanding.  Knowing cause and effect: that is what matters.

Yeah. I can't really say why Switch is so successful. I see many groups of gamers the Switch does appeal to, but most of them should've been also into WiiU. And Switch finds another group, as proven by the sales of Indies. Although WiiU was a great system for platformers, as is the Switch, Indies did not by far as well, even the many platforming Indies. So obviously Nintendo tapped into some group of gamers, that aren't shying away from the small downloadable titles. And I'm not sure what this group is. But yes, this all shows, forum dwellers like me don't really understand why the WiiU failed. Yes, I see the higher appeal of the Switch, but I had a WiiU anyway.

The big question is "why does the Switch sell so much better than the Wii U when their libraries are so similar"?  And the main answer is that if you look at the sales curves, the Switch actually sells very similarly to the 3DS.  That means that right now Switch is selling like a handheld, because mostly people in the handheld market are buying it.  (Switch is actually selling a little better than the 3DS for a variety of smallish reasons.)  The one main reason the Switch is selling though is that it is mostly selling to the handheld market.