By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

Nautilus said:
HintHRO said:

Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 are missing, also two very similar games. And please don't tell me 1 or 2 games can make such a big difference in sales, because that is of course BS. 

Here, watch this.It is very enlightening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1-vyVPD6mY

And if you say that XC 2 and XC X are similar games, then you clearly havent play either of them, probably much like the rest of both libraries.

And for games not covered in the video: Octopath traveler, which is anything like any console have, Mario Tennis Aces which is a completely different beast compared to Ultra Smash, Labo (for better or for worse), Super Mario Party, which is a return to form, Pokemon Lets go (again, for better or for worse), and so on.

Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 are very different. Not to mention from that list: Kirby games are different, Mario Maker and Kingdom Battle are way different, Two main Mario games are different, Splatoon 2 is a sequel. Oh and BotW came out at the same time, so that's a trick.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Nautilus said:

Here, watch this.It is very enlightening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1-vyVPD6mY

And if you say that XC 2 and XC X are similar games, then you clearly havent play either of them, probably much like the rest of both libraries.

And for games not covered in the video: Octopath traveler, which is anything like any console have, Mario Tennis Aces which is a completely different beast compared to Ultra Smash, Labo (for better or for worse), Super Mario Party, which is a return to form, Pokemon Lets go (again, for better or for worse), and so on.

Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 are very different. Not to mention from that list: Kirby games are different, Mario Maker and Kingdom Battle are way different, Two main Mario games are different, Splatoon 2 is a sequel. Oh and BotW came out at the same time, so that's a trick.

Yeah, agree completely.Its all on the video XD

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

HintHRO said:
Nautilus said:

Their libraries are very similar?Where?

Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 are missing, also two very similar games. And please don't tell me 1 or 2 games can make such a big difference in sales, because that is of course BS. 

Also this image compares games from the entire Wii U lifespan with some games the Switch wich received within ~ 1.5 years.

Edit: And of course it ignores a ton of other games on both sides.

GoOnKid said:
HintHRO said:

Also this image compares games from the entire Wii U lifespan with some games the Switch wich received within ~ 1.5 years.

Not really strange when more than half of the Switch library was already completed before the Switch came out. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah. I can't really say why Switch is so successful. I see many groups of gamers the Switch does appeal to, but most of them should've been also into WiiU. And Switch finds another group, as proven by the sales of Indies. Although WiiU was a great system for platformers, as is the Switch, Indies did not by far as well, even the many platforming Indies. So obviously Nintendo tapped into some group of gamers, that aren't shying away from the small downloadable titles. And I'm not sure what this group is. But yes, this all shows, forum dwellers like me don't really understand why the WiiU failed. Yes, I see the higher appeal of the Switch, but I had a WiiU anyway.

The big question is "why does the Switch sell so much better than the Wii U when their libraries are so similar"?  And the main answer is that if you look at the sales curves, the Switch actually sells very similarly to the 3DS.  That means that right now Switch is selling like a handheld, because mostly people in the handheld market are buying it.  (Switch is actually selling a little better than the 3DS for a variety of smallish reasons.)  The one main reason the Switch is selling though is that it is mostly selling to the handheld market.

The Switch is yet to start selling as a handheld although, you are partially right that it is already carving out a portion of the handheld market, being a hybrid.

The sparks of life in the 3DS is confirmation the Switch is yet to go into full blown Handheld mode. When the 3DS finally dies off and when the Switch enters that price range is when you would see the Switch in full Handheld mode and that is why its sales potential is currently very high because if it is selling this well without fulling cornering the Handheld market, one can only wonder what numbers it will be doing when it does.

Years 3 - 5 of the switch might be scary indeed in terms of numbers if none of the console manufacturers follow the Hybrid route.

Last edited by duduspace1 - on 31 July 2018

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271115/switch-vs-3dsvgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

Look at the second chart.  You'll see the shape of the curves is quite similar.

That comparison is NS' first holiday to 3DS twilight year performance it doesn't actually show NS selling as a handheld, you'll know when it starts selling as a handheld because the performance in Japan will jump up significantly right now the NS has just carved out a section of both the home and portable markets, the full portable market will begin migrating over when the price point begins matching that of handhelds.

I have a feeling a price cut won't happen this year but next as the second Pokemon game arrives.

HintHRO said:
GoOnKid said:

Not really strange when more than half of the Switch library was already completed before the Switch came out. 

And yet you just chose to not answer two posts that disprove that little image of yours.Curious!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

HintHRO said:
GoOnKid said:

Listen, we all know that you are ultra disappointed of Nintendo, of the Wii U and of the Switch as well. But no matter how many times you try to shit on it, it wil still be a hot item that people want to buy.

Wyrdness said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271115/switch-vs-3dsvgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

Look at the second chart.  You'll see the shape of the curves is quite similar.

That comparison is NS' first holiday to 3DS twilight year performance it doesn't actually show NS selling as a handheld, you'll know when it starts selling as a handheld because the performance in Japan will jump up significantly right now the NS has just carved out a section of both the home and portable markets, the full portable market will begin migrating over when the price point begins matching that of handhelds.

I have a feeling a price cut won't happen this year but next as the second Pokemon game arrives.

Read the last paragraph of the article.

"The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 8.86 million units, while the 3DS sold 7.72 million units during the same timeframe."

It is launches aligned.  The two sales curves are very similar.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Wyrdness said:

Read the last paragraph of the article.

"The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 8.86 million units, while the 3DS sold 7.72 million units during the same timeframe."

It is launches aligned.  The two sales curves are very similar.

How is that a handheld sales curve though? The reason they look so similar is due to them releasing at the same time of the year.

Edit: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/277011/switch-vs-dsvgchartz-gap-chartsmay-2018-update/

Compare it to DS, it looks much different because of the different launch windows.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.