By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

I love reading this thread every now and then. It reminds me of how out of touch with actual trends and markets some gamers are, which is funny considering analyzing trends and the market is the entire purpose of this site.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
HintHRO said:
Nintendo is still making a lot of big mistakes with the Switch:
- After almost 2 years still no (...)

That's quite a wide definition of "almost" you have there.

That said, I do agree.

My bad. 1,5 years then. Still, so many basic functions should be there even at release or definitely solved within 1,5 years.

Mbolibombo said:

- Still no Internet browser - and? Who uses the browser on a console in 2018?

- Expensive as hell hardware/controllers - 299$ for a brand new system is not expensive as hell. Pro Controller probably a bit expensive. But not more than a 10 or so.. 

Switch is more considered as a portable console. Streaming apps and an internet browser are perfect for that. Give people options. That you don't use or care about certain functions doesn't mean it's the same for others. I for one don't care about the Switch being portable, still good for others to have that option. 

In Europe the Switch is 320 euros (which is close to 370 dollars) without a game and last generation hardware power. Pro controller is quite expensive and two Joy Cons are way too expensive. IMO Switch should cost 250 euros/dollars tops and only for the sake of being a new product, not because of the content or value it's offering. 

HintHRO said:
Mbolibombo said:

Switch is more considered as a portable console. Streaming apps and an internet browser are perfect for that. Give people options. That you don't use or care about certain functions doesn't mean it's the same for others. I for one don't care about the Switch being portable, still good for others to have that option. 

In Europe the Switch is 320 euros (which is close to 370 dollars) without a game and last generation hardware power. Pro controller is quite expensive and two Joy Cons are way too expensive. IMO Switch should cost 250 euros/dollars tops and only for the sake of being a new product, not because of the content or value it's offering. 

No portable console last gen had even close to NS power your argument here has holes in it, he's also right in that no one uses a gaming device for those now days everyone will use a PC or Mobile as those are the options that are most suited to it and common.

HintHRO said:
Mbolibombo said:

I don't get this...why for the sake of being a new product? That's like asking the PS4 to launch at $300 for the sake of being a new product, or the Wii at $200. I don't know why the Switch is 320 euros, maybe its the market, maybe its the Brixit issue, who knows.

And the Switch Pro controller isn't that expensive compared to its competitors. As for the Joy Cons, I guess it depends. If you don't care for the fact it is two controllers in one package that can do motion controls, has an IR sensor, HD rumble, has two Joy Con straps, etc., then maybe getting another set of Joy Cons isn't for you.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Mbolibombo said:
Thread still golden

Well, it is the usual: forum-dwellers don't understand why the WiiU failed in the first place.

From what I can tell forum-dwellers don't understand why the Switch is succeeding either.  For that matter they don't even really understand why the PS4 is succeeding.  Being able to follow a trend-curve is not really understanding.  Knowing cause and effect: that is what matters.

Wyrdness said:

No portable console last gen had even close to NS power

When the PSP launched, the most powerful home console were the Xbox and GameCube.

When the Vita launched, the most powerful home console were the PS3 and Xbox 360.

When the Switch launched, the most powerful home console was the PS4 Pro.

The power difference between Vita and PS3/Xbox 360 is probably smaller than the power difference between Switch and PS4 Pro.

The Vita had 150% RAM of the PS3/Xbox360, The Switch has ~45% RAM of the PS4 Pro.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Well, it is the usual: forum-dwellers don't understand why the WiiU failed in the first place.

From what I can tell forum-dwellers don't understand why the Switch is succeeding either.  For that matter they don't even really understand why the PS4 is succeeding.  Being able to follow a trend-curve is not really understanding.  Knowing cause and effect: that is what matters.

Yeah. I can't really say why Switch is so successful. I see many groups of gamers the Switch does appeal to, but most of them should've been also into WiiU. And Switch finds another group, as proven by the sales of Indies. Although WiiU was a great system for platformers, as is the Switch, Indies did not by far as well, even the many platforming Indies. So obviously Nintendo tapped into some group of gamers, that aren't shying away from the small downloadable titles. And I'm not sure what this group is. But yes, this all shows, forum dwellers like me don't really understand why the WiiU failed. Yes, I see the higher appeal of the Switch, but I had a WiiU anyway.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Conina said:
Wyrdness said:

No portable console last gen had even close to NS power

When the PSP launched, the most powerful home console were the Xbox and GameCube.

When the Vita launched, the most powerful home console were the PS3 and Xbox 360.

When the Switch launched, the most powerful home console was the PS4 Pro.

The power difference between Vita and PS3/Xbox 360 is probably smaller than the power difference between Switch and PS4 Pro.

The Vita had 150% RAM of the PS3/Xbox360, The Switch has ~45% RAM of the PS4 Pro.

Diminishing returns. The customers don't care about technical differences, they care about the result. And the result is, Switch can offer experiences like Zelda, Doom or Skyrim. Vita and PSP had not so much comparable experiences.

If the Sony and MS are able to offer future experiences, that set their consoles apart from the mobile Switch, this may change the public view on that. But don't think some lighting or effects will do the trick, most people don't notice.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Yeah. I can't really say why Switch is so successful. I see many groups of gamers the Switch does appeal to, but most of them should've been also into WiiU. And Switch finds another group, as proven by the sales of Indies. Although WiiU was a great system for platformers, as is the Switch, Indies did not by far as well, even the many platforming Indies. So obviously Nintendo tapped into some group of gamers, that aren't shying away from the small downloadable titles. And I'm not sure what this group is. But yes, this all shows, forum dwellers like me don't really understand why the WiiU failed. Yes, I see the higher appeal of the Switch, but I had a WiiU anyway.

Why? The Wii U was crap when it came to multiplayer due to the single Gamepad problem. Not to mention Wii U's "portability" really just meant you could take it to the other side of the room, and not any other room in the house as promised. It was terrible hardware.

The Switch is definitely a lot more multiplayer friendly, especially with its portability factor which can get 12 player Mario Kart 8 local with relative ease. It's a sleek and beautiful console; far more usable, and therefore far more appealing than the Wii U.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 30 July 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.