By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Nintendo officially quit console gaming. Switch is a handheld system

If they manage to actually pull it off then Nintendo will succeed where SONY failed, home console quality on the go aka what SONY said the Vita would have been.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure they were quoted saying its a home console. They even said so on their Nintendo direct ad.

Though let's be honest. Its a portable that can hook up to the TV.

oniyide said:
bunchanumbers said:

It is a tablet. A tablet that you can play on the go. You can't grab your PS4 and play it on the go. It needs a TV, power, and a controller. If Switch has touch screen controls, then it is just a tablet. And it better have touch controls too, because if you lose the controller nubs then all you have is a screen you can't do anything with.

The real hybrid device was Wii U. You could take Wii U, plug it in anywhere, and you could play to your hearts content. This is just a tablet.

The gamepad didnt work on its own. So how was it a hybrid device?

You didn't need a tv. Everything you needed to play was right there. First home console ever that was entirely self contained. Nintendo should have focused on that instead of the asynchronous gameplay.

bunchanumbers said:
oniyide said:

You didn't need a tv. Everything you needed to play was right there. First home console ever that was entirely self contained. Nintendo should have focused on that instead of the asynchronous gameplay.

You're right that the Wii U didn't need a TV. But it is not truly hybrid because the gamepad still has to be physically close to the console to work. It was a significant step in the direction of hybrid status, though.

The Switch is a true hybrid. It functions like a handheld console when away from the TV, and it functions like a home console when hooked up to the TV. It does not, as far as we've seen from the trailer, function like a tablet.

Now if it transpires that the Switch can do all of the things that a tablet can do, (without using any of the joypads/controllers) all that means is that it functions like a tablet as well as like a home console and handheld. It means it would be a 3 in 1 hybrid instead of a 2 in 1 hybrid.

bunchanumbers said:
oniyide said:

Untrue. Vectrex did it with a glorious vector display. 

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
DanneSandin said:
If the docking station doesn't add any more graphical boost, I might be a bit disappointed - at least of we go by the rumored specs that's floating around right now! I'm perfectly happy with the idea of a hybrid console, but I don't want my experience ruined on the TV because of inferior specs.

If anything, the system may have a high performance mode while docked and a lower performance mode while as as a handheld for energy drain reasons. 

I'm hoping that's the case! Anything else would be disappointing.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Dgc1808 said:

If anything, the system may have a high performance mode while docked and a lower performance mode while as as a handheld for energy drain reasons. 

You should expect anything from good ol' Ninty.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
DanneSandin said:

You should expect anything from good ol' Ninty.

I'm not expacting anything, I'm hoping though. But they've come out and said that the docking station doesn't have any power on it's own.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

bunchanumbers said:
I don't get how you guys can look at a tablet and not see a tablet. Its like you trained your eyes to not see whats in front of you. Ditch the controller nubs. Ditch the taco shell base. Just look at the base unit that is absolutely required. What do you see? A tablet.

All Nintendo did was make a tablet. Then tell you that its not a tablet.

Yes, it's a tablet that mirrors to TV. That was my first impression.

Scisca said:
Hedra42 said:

This.

Ditch the concepts 'home console' and 'handheld', and you have Switch.

Sorry guys, Nintendo would have to pay me to repeat such PR bullshit. It's a handheld that can hook up to the TV in an elegant way, but it's a concept we've known since the PSP. To me this console is exactly what Vita always should have been and that's why I'm going to buy it

The only reason they are calling it a home console is because they know that even $250 is too much for a handheld - no handheld ever got traction at that price, handhelds have to be below $200 to sell, both Sony and Nintendo learned that lesson with 3DS and Vita. On top of that, handheld games do not cost $60-70...

Although it's a tablet or handheld, yes, it's very elegant and plug-in-play.

I've got concerns about the price. For me the ideal is $250. Even though it may run games like BotW, it's still not a powerful console. If the audience see Switch as a handheld console, more than $250 is going to be too expensive.

bunchanumbers said:
padib said:

Because you're so hell bent on making it sound like they did something wrong.

Its because I think they did do something wrong. I've said it before, but by chasing the blue ocean they jumped into the reddest ocean in the world. Average consumers aren't going to see a home console. They are going to see a tablet, and it will immediately be compared to ipads, tablets, and other mobile devices. I doubt average consumers will be looking to carry another tablet along with them. Switch needs to be able to do everything a iphone or ipad does. Otherwise it will be a featureless tablet that won't be taken along.

I agree.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

bunchanumbers said:
padib said:

But it's not a tablet! :<(

The most important thing is that it is something people want to buy and it has a good selection of games. It doesn't need to be able to do everything an iphone or ipad does otherwise it would be branded as a tablet. That's not what Nintendo is aiming with it nor is it what they should be.

They don't have the manpower or the expertise to create an OS that can compete with the iOS or Android so it's impossible to ask them to make a competing product.

Let me ask you. Lets say you saw Switch. No controller nubs. No dock. Switch just laying on a table. And next to it was a ipad, and a samsung tablet. And along with those are a tablet from every other tablet maker. Would you be able to tell the difference? You might. But the average consumer is going to see it, and see just another tablet.

And I bet that the table used to hold all those tablets would be incredibly huge. Switch is now just one of thousands of other tablets out there. Nintendo chose this. They decided that by running away from MS and Sony and by going with a tablet, that they are now in competition with thousands of other devices. And they are late to the game with add ons that average consumers hate.

Think about it. A parent would just as easily hand their kid a ipad mini. And now they can say 'Look! It even has Mario on it.'

I can see NS getting some sales from the idea that it's a tablet and it might becom a "parent trap" for children who wants a tablet, however that would require NS to be very cheap. If Nintendo wants to sell an ARM tablet that mirrors to TV charging console value, it's gonna be hard to hit the blue ocean.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?