By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Nintendo officially quit console gaming. Switch is a handheld system

bunchanumbers said:
GoOnKid said:

But guys, why not flip this around? I could use the Switch as a home console all the time and never take it out of the dock as well. I can spend a lifetime playing it on my TV, so definitely 1st & foremost a home console!!!

That would be like taking a RV, ripping the wheels off of it, and calling it a house. I mean you can do it. Its your RV. But that isn't what it was meant for.

According to nintendo the creator its a house. there is a concept for a house that can be packed and attached to a truck for moving. So I can call it a house that can move as well and a full fledged house since it is capable of playing most home console games while an rv cannot contain most household items. So its more accurate to call it a portable home console or a house that moves rather than an RV or a dockable handheld console.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
bunchanumbers said:

That would be like taking a RV, ripping the wheels off of it, and calling it a house. I mean you can do it. Its your RV. But that isn't what it was meant for.

According to nintendo the creator its a house. there is a concept for a house that can be packed and attached to a truck for moving. So I can call it a house that can move as well and a full fledged house since it is capable of playing most home console games while an rv cannot contain most household items. So its more accurate to call it a portable home console or a house that moves rather than an RV or a dockable handheld console.

But there is a difference. When the house is on the truck, it isn't really meant for living. Its meant for travelling to the next place it will be placed.

Switch is pretty much a RV. Its main purpose is to travel. It does it well. Even to do it right, you still have to deal with its massive size, gas mileage and the costs associated with driving it. You can live in it like a house. But its not a house. Many concessions must take place for it to happen.

Face it. Switch is a handheld with a TV out. Its not a home console.

padib said:
bunchanumbers said:

But there is a difference. When the house is on the truck, it isn't really meant for living. Its meant for travelling to the next place it will be placed.

Switch is pretty much a RV. Its main purpose is to travel. It does it well. Even to do it right, you still have to deal with its massive size, gas mileage and the costs associated with driving it. You can live in it like a house. But its not a house. Many concessions must take place for it to happen.

Face it. Switch is a handheld with a TV out. Its not a home console.

This is yet another case of semantics, and one that will be used to fuel the console wars further. Arguments that will be made due to calling things which favor one conclusion or another.

• The switch is a handheld therefore if it beats PS numbers it will be disqualified.
  • The switch is a handheld and therefore Nintendo concedes victory to PS.
  • The switch is a handheld and therefore does not warrant 3rd party attention like other more "serious" consoles.
  • The switch is a handheld therefore it is not a serious gaming experience, like how all the "big" games come out on PSXB.
Honestly, who cares what you call it, it's what it is. A machine that can be played at home or on the go, with all the gaming library available to previously split platforms.

You're right. What matters is what Nintendo calls it. Nintendo calls it a home console, and that is a lie.

padib said:
bunchanumbers said:

You're right. What matters is what Nintendo calls it. Nintendo calls it a home console, and that is a lie.

No, what matters is that Nintendo is shows in a bad light. Whether it's that they're lying, serving us gimmicks, bowing out of the home console race.

The only thing that matters is that Nintendo is put to shame, because you like it.

No. I don't like it. What makes you think that this pleases me in any way?

padib said:
bunchanumbers said:

No. I don't like it. What makes you think that this pleases me in any way?

Because you're so hell bent on making it sound like they did something wrong.

Its because I think they did do something wrong. I've said it before, but by chasing the blue ocean they jumped into the reddest ocean in the world. Average consumers aren't going to see a home console. They are going to see a tablet, and it will immediately be compared to ipads, tablets, and other mobile devices. I doubt average consumers will be looking to carry another tablet along with them. Switch needs to be able to do everything a iphone or ipad does. Otherwise it will be a featureless tablet that won't be taken along.

Around the Network
padib said:
bunchanumbers said:

Its because I think they did do something wrong. I've said it before, but by chasing the blue ocean they jumped into the reddest ocean in the world. Average consumers aren't going to see a home console. They are going to see a tablet, and it will immediately be compared to ipads, tablets, and other mobile devices. I doubt average consumers will be looking to carry another tablet along with them. Switch needs to be able to do everything a iphone or ipad does. Otherwise it will be a featureless tablet that won't be taken along.

But it's not a tablet! :<(

The most important thing is that it is something people want to buy and it has a good selection of games. It doesn't need to be able to do everything an iphone or ipad does otherwise it would be branded as a tablet. That's not what Nintendo is aiming with it nor is it what they should be.

They don't have the manpower or the expertise to create an OS that can compete with the iOS or Android so it's impossible to ask them to make a competing product.

Let me ask you. Lets say you saw Switch. No controller nubs. No dock. Switch just laying on a table. And next to it was a ipad, and a samsung tablet. And along with those are a tablet from every other tablet maker. Would you be able to tell the difference? You might. But the average consumer is going to see it, and see just another tablet.

And I bet that the table used to hold all those tablets would be incredibly huge. Switch is now just one of thousands of other tablets out there. Nintendo chose this. They decided that by running away from MS and Sony and by going with a tablet, that they are now in competition with thousands of other devices. And they are late to the game with add ons that average consumers hate.

Think about it. A parent would just as easily hand their kid a ipad mini. And now they can say 'Look! It even has Mario on it.'

If the Switch is really just a portable tablet then I'm out. I won't buy it anymore,

padib said:
bunchanumbers said:

Let me ask you. Lets say you saw Switch. No controller nubs. No dock. Switch just laying on a table. And next to it was a ipad, and a samsung tablet. And along with those are a tablet from every other tablet maker. Would you be able to tell the difference? You might. But the average consumer is going to see it, and see just another tablet.

And I bet that the table used to hold all those tablets would be incredibly huge. Switch is now just one of thousands of other tablets out there. Nintendo chose this. They decided that by running away from MS and Sony and by going with a tablet, that they are now in competition with thousands of other devices. And they are late to the game with add ons that average consumers hate.

Think about it. A parent would just as easily hand their kid a ipad mini. And now they can say 'Look! It even has Mario on it.'

That's like saying you have two plastic plates. One that's white, and one with a Disney logo on it.

People know Nintendo, it's not some bogus unknown brand. People see an ipod, they know it's made by apple.

They'll see a switch, they'll know it's made by Nintendo.

Hey thats just the way I see it. Its most likely the way the average consumer sees it too. Just because Sony made a smart phone doesn't mean it sold out. Same with Windows phones and the same with lots of other things. The Google Pixel. The Facebook Rift. Nintendo Switch. Name brand doesn't matter as much since name brands have been coming out of nowhere. The Nintendo name doesn't carry weight like its 1989.

Geez. Have I commented on this? So many Switch threads. I consider the fact that the dock offers no extra computing power to be a negative. I have however, fully embraced the idea that it's a handheld. I doubt I would ever use the Switch on a tv as it is. I love the Vita. Have 3 of them. 2 oled, 1 lcd. I also have a PSTV, but have never used it. So although this is not my ideal situation, and I totally wanted it to have some docking boost, it's all good really. It's a kickass handheld.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

it is a console.

A handheld video game console.

The question should be is it a HOME video game console.