By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Switch dock only for charging and TV-out

Disappointing, but not too surprised.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Volterra_90 said:

Not sure why it's not a home console. Well, my definition of a home console is different, probably. But if you can play with your family/friends, on a TV, with multiple controllers is a home console to me. It's also portable which is a neat plus. 

It's as much of a home console as whatever handheld had a TV out - PSP?

Not sure how PSP worked, never had one. But if you can plug it on the TV, and you can play somw coach playing with some other people, then, yeah, the PSP could effectively run as a hone console. Also as a portable one. Not sure about the existence of local coop play with the PSP, so it wouldn't fit my definition xD.

Volterra_90 said:
Lawlight said:

It's as much of a home console as whatever handheld had a TV out - PSP?

Not sure how PSP worked, never had one. But if you can plug it on the TV, and you can play somw coach playing with some other people, then, yeah, the PSP could effectively run as a hone console. Also as a portable one. Not sure about the existence of local coop play with the PSP, so it wouldn't fit my definition xD.

Why would local Co op be a defining feature for a home console?

If the PS4 or Xbox One couldn't do local multiplayer they wouldn't be home consoles? What would they be?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

It's been stated that it's a scalable chip inside the Switch, so its still possible for it to be nominally more powerful in the dock, like a laptop goes to low-power when on battery.

RingoGaSuki said:
It's been stated that it's a scalable chip inside the Switch, so its still possible for it to be nominally more powerful in the dock, like a laptop goes to low-power when on battery.

If the so called leaked devkit is to be believe that maybe the case because the's apparently 4 GB RAM in the tablet but 6GB when it's in the docking unit so maybe the scaleable chip and such is in the tablet but the docking unit still some extra little bits here and there to upscale when it's hooked to the TV.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Volterra_90 said:

Not sure how PSP worked, nr had one. But if you can plug it on the TV, and you can play somw coach playing with some other people, then, yeah, the PSP could effectively run as a hone console. Also as a portable one. Not sure about the existence of local coop play with the PSP, so it wouldn't fit my definition xD.

Why would local Co op be a defining feature for a home console?

If the PS4 or Xbox One couldn't do local multiplayer they wouldn't be home consoles? What would they be?

Turds. Console without local coop are turds xDD. 

Now, seriously, that's a good question. I can't conceive that feature out of any console, though it's getting harder and harder to play local coop games. But, yeah, you're right, that wouldn't be mandatory. So the PSP could work as a home console then. Why not? It's clearly not the core concept of the console, but you can do that.

It's not like the Switch concept is so groundbreaking. The difference is that Nintendo is making that hybrid concept core.

So.... Nintendo just left the home console market?

I don't see how the tablet/screen is going to be even as powerful as the Wii U.

I really hoped the dock had extra power, this is looking like Wii vs PS3/360 power situation... or even worse.

Wyrdness said:
RingoGaSuki said:

If the so called leaked devkit is to be believe that maybe the case because the's apparently 4 GB RAM in the tablet but 6GB when it's in the docking unit so maybe the scaleable chip and such is in the tablet but the docking unit still some extra little bits here and there to upscale when it's hooked to the TV.

Devkits are known to have extra memory for debugging, I wouldn't count on anything. Plus Nintendo already stated the dock only provides tv output and power input. You don't need 2GB to upscale a 720p image.

If the unit runs faster on ac power, wouldn't it make sense to always have it plugged in through an adapter? I always have my laptop plugged in. That seems a bit counter intuitive to have games that recommend you to run it on ac power.
I guess in the dock it could boost the clock speed of the device to provide 1080p output without the heat of the screen and perhaps better cooling.

SvennoJ said:
Wyrdness said:

Devkits are known to have extra memory for debugging, I wouldn't count on anything. Plus Nintendo already stated the dock only provides tv output and power input. You don't need 2GB to upscale a 720p image.

If the unit runs faster on ac power, wouldn't it make sense to always have it plugged in through an adapter? I always have my laptop plugged in. That seems a bit counter intuitive to have games that recommend you to run it on ac power.
I guess in the dock it could boost the clock speed of the device to provide 1080p output without the heat of the screen and perhaps better cooling.

Explain why the Docking station would have memery though that's the point and mind you that's if I reading the data correctly as it could be saying 6GB in the Dock and 4GB in the Tablet, factoring in that it's a devkit the platform obviously doesn't need 10GB so I'd say 5 GB for the retail unit but why does the docking unit have RAM in it is the question? The only reason I can think of is to supplement upscaling for the TV output.

If they can match the sales of the 3DS with the switch, it will be a huge success. Better to focus on low price with a slight bump in performance than to focus on massive hardware increase.