By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Switch dock only for charging and TV-out

I actually think this is for the best.

If anything else, NSwitch can't fail as a HH. It is better than relying too much on the dock juice and not actually being able to run the games nicely on the go. I mean, the dock might be able to improve it a little, with a better cooling system, but that's it.

My only worry is the battery life. If they can make it at least close to the 3DS XL battery life, i am sold.

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
Normchacho said:

Why would local Co op be a defining feature for a home console?

If the PS4 or Xbox One couldn't do local multiplayer they wouldn't be home consoles? What would they be?

Turds. Console without local coop are turds xDD. 

Now, seriously, that's a good question. I can't conceive that feature out of any console, though it's getting harder and harder to play local coop games. But, yeah, you're right, that wouldn't be mandatory. So the PSP could work as a home console then. Why not? It's clearly not the core concept of the console, but you can do that.

It's not like the Switch concept is so groundbreaking. The difference is that Nintendo is making that hybrid concept core.

For me, the thing that might make it a console (or, at least a hybrid) is the use of seperate controllers. With the PSP you could connect it to a TV and play it like that, but you still held and used the PSP itself. If that's how the Switch worked, then I would say it's not a home console. But because you hook up to the tv, then use different controllers to use it, I think it's a hybrid console. I do still think it is primarily a handheld though.

Funny enough, not long ago I described almost the exact same concept here on VGC as a possible third Sony handheld.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

SvennoJ said:
Wyrdness said:

If the so called leaked devkit is to be believe that maybe the case because the's apparently 4 GB RAM in the tablet but 6GB when it's in the docking unit so maybe the scaleable chip and such is in the tablet but the docking unit still some extra little bits here and there to upscale when it's hooked to the TV.

Devkits are known to have extra memory for debugging, I wouldn't count on anything. Plus Nintendo already stated the dock only provides tv output and power input. You don't need 2GB to upscale a 720p image.

If the unit runs faster on ac power, wouldn't it make sense to always have it plugged in through an adapter? I always have my laptop plugged in. That seems a bit counter intuitive to have games that recommend you to run it on ac power.
I guess in the dock it could boost the clock speed of the device to provide 1080p output without the heat of the screen and perhaps better cooling.

True, but that's not always the case. Remember the PS4? Devs thought it would have 4GB of RAM based on the devkit and Sony decided to go for 8GB instead at the last moment (near reveal), so that surprised a lot of devs out there.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Wyrdness said:
SvennoJ said:

Devkits are known to have extra memory for debugging, I wouldn't count on anything. Plus Nintendo already stated the dock only provides tv output and power input. You don't need 2GB to upscale a 720p image.

If the unit runs faster on ac power, wouldn't it make sense to always have it plugged in through an adapter? I always have my laptop plugged in. That seems a bit counter intuitive to have games that recommend you to run it on ac power.
I guess in the dock it could boost the clock speed of the device to provide 1080p output without the heat of the screen and perhaps better cooling.

Explain why the Docking station would have memery though that's the point and mind you that's if I reading the data correctly as it could be saying 6GB in the Dock and 4GB in the Tablet, factoring in that it's a devkit the platform obviously doesn't need 10GB so I'd say 5 GB for the retail unit but why does the docking unit have RAM in it is the question? The only reason I can think of is to supplement upscaling for the TV output.

Why does it have the same chip and 4 USB ports and is shaped closer to a cube. That's not the docking station as shown in the video, completely different dimensions. Plus the dimensions of the portable unit make it larger than the WiiU Gamepad, yet with a slightly smaller screen. Could just be a devkit to run in parallel with the handheld for debugging. Could just be a made up leak.

I think it would be smart of them to bundle every console with that pro controller. Selling it separately would make more people think its just a handheld that connects to the TV.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
That makes it worse.

Agreed! Why is less power good? Wasn't everybody hoping for more juice when it was docked? It still looks cool and all, but this is a negative for me.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
S.Peelman said:
That makes it worse.

Agreed! Why is less power good? Wasn't everybody hoping for more juice when it was docked? It still looks cool and all, but this is a negative for me.

Well it could be good news regarding the price.

KLXVER said:
COKTOE said:

Yes! One would hope this would this would be the case since the power we can estimate it will have should not command too high of a price.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
KLXVER said:

Yes! One would hope this would this would be the case since the power we can estimate it will have should not command too high of a price.

and I might be wrong, but I dont think it has a touchscreen, so this thing really could be 250 bucks.

KLXVER said:
COKTOE said:

and I might be wrong, but I dont think it has a touchscreen, so this thing really could be 250 bucks.

Now that is an interesting thought. It seems like such a given that it never would have occured to me that it might not have a touchscreen.