By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Switch dock only for charging and TV-out

maybe they're calling it a home console first and foremost because the battery life will be way too short for longer gaming sessions.

Otherwise, yeah it's a handheld. There's nothing new about connecting a mobile device to a TV and using a controller to play games.
It's not been officially supported by Nintendo or Sony in the past but it's
A: possible on hacked handhelds
B: a given on Android devices
C: possible on Windows tablets (even with Nintendo games in combination with emulators)

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
ok, this confirms that it is a handheld, and also goodbye 3rd parties

so either they underestimate their customer's intelligence, or they are exiting the console market from the back door

unless they decide to put the "Supplemental Computing Device" patents into use, I find the home console claim to be misleading

Your claim that third party developers are gone contradicts what you believe this console is. Nintendo's hand held consoles get massive third party support. It is their home consoles that struggle in that area.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

GhaudePhaede010 said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
ok, this confirms that it is a handheld, and also goodbye 3rd parties

so either they underestimate their customer's intelligence, or they are exiting the console market from the back door

unless they decide to put the "Supplemental Computing Device" patents into use, I find the home console claim to be misleading

Your claim that third party developers are gone contradicts what you believe this console is. Nintendo's hand held consoles get massive third party support. It is their home consoles that struggle in that area.

Yep, Japanese 3rd parties will jump on this like a hungry shark. And if Nintendo can leverage them towards the west as some eastern flavour machine, then it could serve them really well.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

KLXVER said:
COKTOE said:

Now that is an interesting thought. It seems like such a given that it never would have occured to me that it might not have a touchscreen.

Not a single person in the trailer even taps the screen a single time and pictures explaining the Switch on Nintendos site doesnt mention it at all.

They are only showing games in the trailer though. It could still have a touchscreen for tablet style apps. It can not use touchscreen for games as it has to work exactly the same on tv while the screen is locked inside the docking station. Lowest common denominator...
They did add splitscreen for the handheld, but will it be possible to have 4 player splitscreen on tv? And will the UI scale back for tv use or will all the icons and text appear huge.

Hmm, Nintendo says the "main fuction" is charging and TV output. I wouldn't say that's it's "only" function.

I personally was never expecting a discrete Gpu in the dock but we shouldn't twist Nintendo's words.

Will be very disappointed if the home console doesn't at least allow higher resolutions through no power constraints and maybe an external fan system

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
KLXVER said:

and I might be wrong, but I dont think it has a touchscreen, so this thing really could be 250 bucks.

I have a feeling it won't have a touchscreen either. Which...Not a HUGE deal, but it's certainly an odd omnission in 2016.

The rumours suggest it will, would be a very disappointing move if it didnt. It would really add value to the mobile componemt of the device. Would be complete daft to make tablet handheld and not let it ever function as a tablet.

Valdath said:
So.... Nintendo just left the home console market?

I don't see how the tablet/screen is going to be even as powerful as the Wii U.

I really hoped the dock had extra power, this is looking like Wii vs PS3/360 power situation... or even worse.

I dont get this logic. Did they leave the home console market when they produced the Wii? It's Weak and small in form factor. The whole design of this machine being a big, power hungry tablet is Nintendo compromising between hanheld and console. A standalone next gen Nintendo handheld wouldn't have been much more powerful than the Vita.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Yep, Japanese 3rd parties will jump on this like a hungry shark. And if Nintendo can leverage them towards the west as some eastern flavour machine, then it could serve them really well.

well, regardless of how I see it, Nintendo promotes it as a home console but it won't get anywhere near the support that other home consoles receive

3DS developers will probably Switch, so we get Monster Hunter and maybe Dragon Quest, but what about Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts? we are still getting spin-offs instead of the main thing, wouldn't call that hungry sharks

apart from old game ports, Western 3rd parties are gone, so even in terms of 3rd party support it will end up with a library similar to 3DS

my point is that with Switch, no matter what they claim, Nintendo is silently leaviing the console market, fingers crossed for a good enough battery...

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

In theory, they don't need extra processing in dock.

Switch seems to be pretty thick...notebook thick, with what looks like active cooling. nVidia Shield TV pulls 20W in gaming, it performs (according to GFXBench) some 3-4x worse then GPU similar to PS4's (probably worse in real games) and it's built on 20nm node.

If they managed to cram something inside the Switch that downclocks (or disables some of components, like PS4Pro) while in handheld mode and manages to pull Shield TV level of performance (but on 14nm node), and then runs fully enabled when docked, it is, again, at least in theory, possible to have something that is somewhere between XOne and PS4 while docked.

Even if the dock was 10Tflops worth of compute power, 100% compatibility in portable mode is most likely a mandate. So this shouldn't make much difference to third party support