By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Switch dock only for charging and TV-out

Normchacho said:
bunchanumbers said:

So Nintendo confirmed that they made a 720p tablet. Great. Great gimmick Nintendo.

You say that, but they haven't said what the resolution is (rumors point to possibly 540p) and they have said they aren't going to say whether it's a touchscreen or not.

So it could end up being much worse than a 720p tablet.

pretty sad stuff. Just when I think it can't get worse, it can't even output at native 720p.

Great. Great gimmick Nintendo.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Sh1nn said:

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

So Nintendo confirmed that they made a 720p tablet. Great. Great gimmick Nintendo.

Next time they will treat us with something the gaming world has never seen... virtual reality by Nintendo:

Amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Then this shouldn't go over $300 then.

GProgrammer said:
Volterra_9fac:
ably, though it's really soon to say that, the GPU won't be running at max capacity on portable mode to save power, and works at max capacity in the dock station. So the portable would be a downgraded version. 

Perhaps, I suppose the Dock could have some fans in it, blowing air over the handheld to cool it down, so they could run the GPU at a couple hundred Hz higher, its not going to be a huge difference though, i.e. it won't be enough to make the 720p games suddenly playable at 1080p.

From looking at specs, docked I guess this will be 60-75% of the flops of the Xbox One, about half a ps4, OK for a handheld but for something plugged into the TV, hmmm

Honestly, I expect it to be underpowered if we compare it to the PS4/One. A portable with that form factor and PS4 power would be incredibly exoensive. If it's actually possible with actual tech. Nintendo will propably do their own thing, and not trying to compete with MS/Sony. It could get ports from time to time though, like Skyrim, though.

bunchanumbers said:
Normchacho said:

You say that, but they haven't said what the resolution is (rumors point to possibly 540p) and they have said they aren't going to say whether it's a touchscreen or not.

So it could end up being much worse than a 720p tablet.

pretty sad stuff. Just when I think it can't get worse, it can't even output at native 720p.

Great. Great gimmick Nintendo.

Now, that is me being pessimistic. The rumors could certainly be wrong, and though Nintendo's statement has me nervous, I still think it's more likely than not that it has a touchscreen.

But good god if it's a 540p non touchscreen system...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
LipeJJ said:
Now I wonder... is it going to be more powerful than a Wii U? :s Any solid rumors about specs?

The old rumors where 3-4 times the power of the Wii U.

Pretty sure when its docked it ll be more powerfull than the Wii U.

Im guessing that means it turns out to be slightly less than half the Xbox One S, in terms of performance.

So multiplats will run lesser resolutions than the do on the normal Xbox One, on the Switch.

Well, at least it's reasonably more powerful than Wii U, so it's still an increase. But half of the XB1S? That's bad. I mean, as a portable that freaking amazing, but as a console it's pretty underwhelming. I wonder how we're going to play multiplat games at the TV... at this rate, they'd have would run at 540p? Hopefully not.

Still crossing my fingers that it will be at least close to XB1. I know it's asking a lot for a hybrid, but I'm still rooting for that. :c

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

So like, can I get one without a screen y/n? Cause I don't want to pay for a screen i'll never use.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
So like, can I get one without a screen y/n? Cause I don't want to pay for a screen i'll never use.

Nope. You will take the screen and the detachable controllers and like it.

bunchanumbers said:
dharh said:

Nope. You will take the screen and the detachable controllers and like it.

Hah. You can't make me.  I'll just wait till EMU to play any RPGs I can't otherwise.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

RolStoppable said:
That's good news. Why did you post it then?

Lmao! 

Anyway! So its confirmed that it is a handheld that can be played on the TV? 

Pocky Lover Boy!