By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation VR is Being Sold at a Profit, Says Sony

PlayStation VR is Being Sold at a Profit, Says Sony

Sony exec reiterates that PlayStation VR sales won't be at a loss.

Last updated by Tamoor Hussain on October 14, 2016

Sony is making a profit on PlayStation VR, according to Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios.

"We're making money on the VR console," Layden said, speaking to Polygon. Although he didn't elaborate any further, his comments echo what former PlayStation developer relations exec, Adam Boyes, said in March.

"Obviously we need to make money on the unit, but we've been in the consumer electronics business for a long time, so our ability to source great, high quality parts is a big part of it," he said. "Every device we've sold since PlayStation 4 has been in the black."

This is uncommon as, for the most part, games hardware is sold at a loss at point of sale. Those losses are usually recouped through software sales. This isn't the case for PlayStation VR, according to Layden.

PS VR launched on October 14 for $400 or $500 in a bundle with a PS4 camera (required for using it on PS4) and other accessories. It is forecasted to sell around 1.6 million units worldwide before the end of the calendar year, according to research from an analyst firm.

In GameSpot's PlayStation VR review, Jimmy Thang said "it trips up too many times to wholeheartedly recommend at this point."

He continued: "PSVR is more affordable, but it also takes shortcuts. While it sometimes works surprisingly well given these constraints, it reminds me of the adage, 'you get what you pay for.'"

"While there are a handful of fun titles, there’s nothing that I’ve played at launch so far to indicate to me that the PSVR is a must-buy right now. For everyone else, I’d recommend saving up for a better reality."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-vr-is-being-sold-at-a-profit-says-sony/1100-6444456/

Around the Network

No surprise there, if anyone watches the tear down video its kinda hard seeing how that whole thing costs $399. Not saying there isn't value in it, but that even tho it looks good and feels well made there also isn't really much inside the unit.

I think people should be more mindful of the lighting conditions in their play areas when using the PSvr though; would have thought this would be a no brainier considering the tech it uses for its own tracking. A camera would better track light if there isn't a flood of ambient light to compete with.

Yes, but is it actually being sold?

Mummelmann said:
Yes, but is it actually being sold?

its easy if you look at Amazon, its sold out except for Scalpers who are offering those for over 400

No wonder it is a crappy VR device, most reviews of more demanding games are not good. If a stunning looking title as DC looks bad in VR I wonder how much potential VR has for Playstation.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Well for me personally I am interested but I am just not interested in any of the available games so far, I would have considered it for Gran Turismo, but then again, I would have proberbly not bought it for just one game, I want at least 6 AAA-Games that work well with VR before I purchase it :)

But Reactions have been mostly possitive on the people I follow in twitter, altough I also noticed at least 2 of them where playing gears of war 4 horde mode on pc instead of their new headset :P

For sony its good times, games being sold at a profit, hardware as a profit and software at a profit and they cut in on their employees on multiple of their studio''s, that money is rolling.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Hopefully they can take the Tesla approach, using the profit made from this headset to help fund and afford losses to allow you to make a cheaper model down the road.

In order for this to take off Companies need to think long term.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

How is it ?
Is it really that great to get ?

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Great news. This means chances of getting a price cut next year are higher. Especially if you they can get it into mass production and further reduce costs.

I'm glad it is making a profit, hopefully the profit stays in gaming department.