By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii U may be dead, but... who cares?

I actually feel sad for people who only own Nintendo consoles and don't have an Xbox or Ps4 or Pc besides it for games. Generally Nintendo has done a better job of supporting their main home console, this year has been horrible and the release date for the NX might be confirmed for March, but thats still a few months and theres so little information to get excited about because of all the fake- and strange rumours.

Anyway, There are some highlights and before Gears of war 4 released almost everybody coming over at my house for games wanted to co-play something on Wii-U

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

Wonderful post OP!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

i agree, For my Sega Saturn i also dont get support anymore still enjoy the system

KilleyMc said:
The failure to properly incorporate the gamepad in most games is another problem for me, and should be an embarassment for Nintendo's developers, one of the selling points of the console and it went to waste, with barely any games using it in a proper way. Was it that hard to launch for Wii U something like Civilization or an RTS Battalion/Advance Wars and make good use of the second screen? Whatever new innovation Nintendo wants to introduce with the NX, how can I trust that it won't suffer the same fate that the gamepad had?

If a feature is garbage, games are going to tend to not use it.
 If the 2nd screen gamepad was really the bees knees, it would be well used. But there is really no reason for it to exist.  
With the effort it takes to tilt head down and refocus eyes to look at 2nd screen in controller, 
you could just tilt the controller with a gyro or press a button 
to have the main TV screen display a 2ndary display mode...
with the advantage that it isn't fully rendering both 100% of the time, using up precious CPU/GPU time...
And in fact that power could then enable things like higher resolution on main screen, crucially useful for RTS (also with CPU demands).
And of course instead of devs being "obligated" to utilize the screen and waste dev time implementing that for mediocre outcome,
they could just focus on awesome game design, and only IF THE GAME CALLS FOR IT use 2ndary display mode/window via gyro tilt/button.

KilleyMc said:
Whatever new innovation Nintendo wants to introduce with the NX, how can I trust that it won't suffer the same fate that the gamepad had?

I don't know... //Don't trust them//?  
If it's a dubious gimmick, just don't believe the rainbow unicorn tales.  I called Wii U's controller from day 1.  Not really a surprise.
As far as I'm concerned, simply removing the controller screen and keeping the Wii U otherwise the same would have at least allowed
them to drop the price, upfront and faster price drops, which would have helped it in the "2nd console" department and families on budget etc.
Nevermind not wasting their develoment focus on trying to make a crap gimmick look good, instead of just focusing on solid good games.
Or instead of dropping the price, the budget used for 2nd screen could have been used to beef up core hardware (CPU/GPU/RAM) instead,
which would have helped make ports work better, and enable better technical quality of exclusive games.  All that was clear from day 1. 

malistix1985 said:
I actually feel sad for people who only own Nintendo consoles and don't have an Xbox or Ps4 or Pc besides it for games. Generally Nintendo has done a better job of supporting their main home console, this year has been horrible and the release date for the NX might be confirmed for March, but thats still a few months and theres so little information to get excited about because of all the fake- and strange rumours.

Anyway, There are some highlights and before Gears of war 4 released almost everybody coming over at my house for games wanted to co-play something on Wii-U

Why? Nothing is preventing them from getting those other systems. Hell looking at sales I cant imagine their are that many Wii U only owners

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Wonderful post OP!

Thank you! ^^

Ruler said:
i agree, For my Sega Saturn i also dont get support anymore still enjoy the system

That's the spirit!

mutantsushi said:
KilleyMc said:
The failure to properly incorporate the gamepad in most games is another problem for me, and should be an embarassment for Nintendo's developers, one of the selling points of the console and it went to waste, with barely any games using it in a proper way. Was it that hard to launch for Wii U something like Civilization or an RTS Battalion/Advance Wars and make good use of the second screen? Whatever new innovation Nintendo wants to introduce with the NX, how can I trust that it won't suffer the same fate that the gamepad had?

If the 2nd screen gamepad was really the bees knees, it would be well used. But there is really no reason for it to exist.  
With the effort it takes to tilt head down and refocus eyes to look at 2nd screen in controller, 
with the advantage that it isn't fully rendering both 100% of the time, using up precious CPU/GPU time...
And in fact that power could then enable things like higher resolution on main screen, crucially useful for RTS (also with CPU demands).
And of course instead of devs being "obligated" to utilize the screen and waste dev time implementing that for mediocre outcome,
they could just focus on awesome game design, and only IF THE GAME CALLS FOR IT use 2ndary display mode/window via gyro tilt/button.

KilleyMc said:
Whatever new innovation Nintendo wants to introduce with the NX, how can I trust that it won't suffer the same fate that the gamepad had?

If it's a dubious gimmick, just don't believe the rainbow unicorn tales.  I called Wii U's controller from day 1.  Not really a surprise.
As far as I'm concerned, simply removing the controller screen and keeping the Wii U otherwise the same would have at least allowed
them to drop the price, upfront and faster price drops, which would have helped it in the "2nd console" department and families on budget etc.
Nevermind not wasting their develoment focus on trying to make a crap gimmick look good, instead of just focusing on solid good games.
Or instead of dropping the price, the budget used for 2nd screen could have been used to beef up core hardware (CPU/GPU/RAM) instead,
which would have helped make ports work better, and enable better technical quality of exclusive games.  All that was clear from day 1. 

Thank you for the contribution but I feel like that if I started arguing with you, both of us would waste our time.

Nem said:

But just like its Nintendo's decision to drop its support, its also my decision to drop my support for other Nintendo devices. I'm not fully satisfied with the Wii U therefore i am not likely to buy their next home console.

Same here. After the way they treated Wii U owners, I'm not inclined to want to buy another system from them.

GoOnKid said:
mutantsushi said:

Thank you for the contribution but I feel like that if I started arguing with you, both of us would waste our time.

Uh, I don't know if that was directed at me, but if that was the case then let me clarify, I still like my Wii U and so far it's the only home console from this gen that I feel is worth owning. With that said, I still can't help but care about the missed potential.