By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii U may be dead, but... who cares?

Some people are salty over Nintendo's decision to pull the Wii U's plug this soon. Now they say the Wii U is dead and they feel somehow betrayed by Nintendo. But this always makes me wonder about some things: what about all the games that are already available? Why do they stop counting the very first moment after they are released? Is it one certain game that would make these folks happy? Why does it make one happy to know that a console will last longer?

I could somehow explain this by a gamers' deeply inherent wish to look forward to new games. We all love things that we can't have yet. Barny Stinson couldn't have said it better: new is always better. We are always longing for the latest and best stuff. Well, best is subjective. Sometimes, it just needs to be shiny, but anyway. And if we can't have something to look out for, are we pissed?

Now let's say history went differently and the Wii U sold like warm bread, while having the exact same library. Would these people think otherwise about it? Me thinks yes. I think the salt comes from having a feeling of misinvestment, if that makes sense. It's human psychology to have a desire to be a part of the largest available group in order to feel safe. Not everyone has the balls to withstand that.

But I say that we also need to appreciate what we already have! The system hosts games in all genres, safe for three: online shooters (Splatoon alone can hardly make it against the masses on the other platforms), open world games (Wii U has nearly none, only Lego City Undercover comes to mind), and sports. Those three genres are what appears to be the most successful ones on PS4 and Xbox One. Even more so, it appears that the whole library of PS4 and Xbox One consists of hardly anything else. Well, throw some RPGs into the pool, too. The Wii U gets hardly any of these games while the twins get hardly anything else. Therefore, I think this generation is very divisive, even much more than the last one.

But I mean, many of the Wii U's games are big. Like, really big! A game like Hyrule Warriors take forever to finish, Xenoblade X has some players with more than 300 hours on their clock, and Super Mario Maker never runs out of new levels. Or take those games with an online multiplayer mode like the holy trinitiy of Mario Kart 8, Sm4sh and Splatoon. I played all three of them for over a hundred hours each and I am still not tired of them! Also, I heard TMS:FE is pretty big, too, as well as of course Monster Hunter. And finally there are those games that I use to replay every once in a while like DKCTF, YWW, Starfox Zero (I played that for over 40 hours, take that reviewers!), Fast Racing Neo, SM3DW, Fatal Frame 5, or even Devil's Third (I enjoy it even more with every run, take that reviewers!). I don't even WANT new games anymore (although I will buy Paper Mario huehuehue).

Therefore, I couldn't give less f*cks about the Wii U being dead or not. It's a pretty awesome console nonetheless.

Around the Network

The games avaible now never stopped counting or mattering, but lets face it, most of them are not good. A few exception do not represent the whole library.

Jpcc86 said:
The games avaible now never stopped counting or mattering, but lets face it, most of them are not good. A few exception do not represent the whole library.

Most of them are not good? Most of them belong to the best in their franchises!

GoOnKid said:
Jpcc86 said:

Most of them are not good? Most of them belong to the best in their franchises!

I agree that some do. Mario Kart 8 for example. Bayonetta 2. XCX... yeah, maybe you're right. 

I don't really care anymore that the WiiU is dead. I certainly had a lot of fun with it!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Yeah, in my opinion the Wii U is a fine system with a host of great games. However, I feel the problem for many is that not all of the Wii U's great titles will appeal to everyone, and once a person has played all the games they were interested in, there won't be anymore to release and fill that gap. Furthermore, even if a game has a lot of content, that won't mean that a player will necessarily go through all that content. Imagine trying to go through all of Hyrule Warrior's content, it'd almost certainly get boring, and i'm saying that as someone who very much enjoyed the game.

Now, compare that to the PS4/XOne. Sure, there may not be replacements to some of the games the Wii U has, in-terms of quantity or quality, but if a person likes the games coming to those systems they can rest assured more will come in the future, and even if they will not buy all these they will know that there will be games available to buy, with some being on-par with Nintendo's titles if you look objectively. This comparison is likely why people are coming to the conclusion that the Wii U being dead is a bad thing, and in my opinion, rightly so.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

I care because splatoon, mario maker, mk8, sm4sh and pokken online are still fun and don't want closed servers. That's it. I'm actually holding off playing offline because of this.

Mar1217 said:
Jpcc86 said:

You're stepping in a dangerous territory you know ..... the subjectivity realm ?

Of course its subjective. Its an opinion. But regardless of wether you agree or not, its  a popular opinion. 

Jpcc86 said:
Mar1217 said:

You're stepping in a dangerous territory you know ..... the subjectivity realm ?

Of course its subjective. Its an opinion. But regardless of wether you agree or not, its  a popular opinion. 

based on what?

We reap what we sow

I don't regret my purchase of the Wii U because of the exact same reasons, it has a lot of great games...
Splatoon, Smash 4, 3D World, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade X, The Wind Waker HD etc. etc.

What I am disappointed about, is that Nintendo dropped support so quickly. Sure, the Wii U has a good library of 1st party games, but it could have had more good games.. Nintendo's last push was in 2015, and the games that it got were all not very good, and in 2016, they basically completely gave up on it, while still supporting the 3DS. They were supporting a dying console, but then immediately gave up and walked out. Even having some cross gen games would be good, but it's obvious that they moved all their development teams to the NX. Any new games that could have been on the Wii U were moved to the NX

It's a good console, with a short life

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]