By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii U may be dead, but... who cares?

Why are we comparing Nintendo support for the Wii U with PS/Xbox?

Did everybody forget that PS and Xbox have a considerable number of big 3rd party companies that still deliver games even when Sony and MS leave the console behind for the next gen?

People are really expecting Nintendo support split with the handheld segment to match with Sony/MS + 3rd party? And with a failed product?

What Sony did with Vita? Can somebody please remind me?

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

I kinda regret my purchase of the WiiU, it just sits there and hardly gets used. Even my gf bought Tokyo Mirage on it at launch and has only played maybe 1-2 hours. Other than that i sometimes play smash on it.

I own Smash, Donkey Kong, Epic Mickey 2, Tokyo Mirage and a handful of Wii games. So not many but im unsure if ill purchase anymore.

Nymeria said:
The issue with a shallow library is a greater percentage of titles in that library need to appeal to someone to make it worthwhile. In the PS2 days for example you could dislike 95% of games and still have tons of games to play. I understand Nintendo fans being content with offerings, but lacking that diversity is part of why the Wii U will sell a fraction of what other systems past and present have and will.

This!  Im not interested in 95% of the WiiU's library so that leaves be with like 3-4 games xD

I actually would've been fine with Wii U having a 4 year lifespan if it had been better supported during those four years. My major problems are thus:

- Way too many droughts. The Wii U never went a single year without suffering droughts of two months or more without a major release. 

- Not enough ambitious games, far too many titles that played it safe and were basically just 3DS/Gamecube games in HD. Xenoblade X is the only game Nintendo have released on the system that really pushes the envelope.

- An obscene amount of delays, with key software consistently failing to meet deadlines.

- Lack of variety in the kind of games offered.

- After four years it still doesn't have a proper Zelda. Every other Nintendo console in history received a new Zelda game in its first two years. Not good enough.

I will never forgive Nintendo for not releasing an exclusive Zelda on Wii U, therefore not giving the bare minimum of support to the Wii U. Even if the NX has an awesome library and sells a bazillion copies I still won't forgive them.

Around the Network
numberwang said:
WiiU needed more Nintendo games, like two 3D Marios, one or two unique Zeldas, one unique Metroid etc. With a lifespan of ten years like the PS360 that would have been possible.

Nearly every Ninty series got representation on the Wii U. Metroid is the only game i can think of that didnt appear on the system. That and F Zero which i dont even think we'll see again. Did the Wii or GC get that much more Ninty games. THe WiiStuff is gone but that wasnt gonna sell on Wii U anyway

I care... i like the Wii U.

But just like its Nintendo's decision to drop its support, its also my decision to drop my support for other Nintendo devices. I'm not fully satisfied with the Wii U therefore i am not likely to buy their next home console.

It ended up being Nintendo's worst home console, with a library so shallow that you'd be hard pressed to find twenty exclusives worth playing after four year in the market. With that said, the Wii U dying so early doesn't exactly give me confidence on Nintendo's future products, thanks god that the 3DS exists, even if it's not exactly a testament of Nintendo's capacity to ensure a decent flow of HD games.

The failure to properly incorporate the gamepad in most games is another problem for me, and should be an embarassment for Nintendo's developers, one of the selling points of the console and it went to waste, with barely any games using it in a proper way. Was it that hard to launch for Wii U something like Civilization or an RTS Battalion/Advance Wars and make good use of the second screen? Whatever new innovation Nintendo wants to introduce with the NX, how can I trust that it won't suffer the same fate that the gamepad had?

Nem said:
I care... i like the Wii U.

But just like its Nintendo's decision to drop its support, its also my decision to drop my support for other Nintendo devices. I'm not fully satisfied with the Wii U therefore i am not likely to buy their next home console.

This is the problem with drooping support for a console.  It may have only sold 12 million but a large chunk of that are hardcore Nintendo fans.  It's dangerous pissing off the hardcore.  You need them to get the ball rolling with the next console.

I've had my fun but I'm about ready to move over to PC gaming. Might also pick up an NX depending on what games are on it.

Hoping NX is a collaboration between Nintendo and Microsoft.