By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's Your Oldest Save File?

Oldest save file?

3+ years old 1 1.72%

5+ years old 4 6.90%

10+ years old 14 24.14%

15+ years old 18 31.03%

20+ years old 11 18.97%

25+ years old 5 8.62%

30+ years old 3 5.17%

Older... 2 3.45%

Total:58

Super Mario 64 (Christmas 1996). I played games before but Mario 64 was the first game I owned myself. God, that was 20 years ago!

Around the Network

Probably Smash Melee since that was sort of like the first video game I owned

Though Age of Empires 2 would technically win

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

My Megaman 2 save and Bubble Bobble saves are still perfectly recorded on my NES "memory card" checked there to make sure it hadn't faded.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I'm sure at least some of my C64 discs still work... so ~30 years.

All of my NES and SNES batteries are dead but I still have all of my PS1 memory cards. I'd say Tomb Raider 1 from 1997. I never deleted it.

Around the Network

The save files on the cartridges for my N64 from 1998 should still work.

On the PC I don't have anything that old because by changing new hardware the old HDDs are thrown out eventually.

John2290 said:
Ganoncrotch said:
My Megaman 2 save and Bubble Bobble saves are still perfectly recorded on my NES "memory card" checked there to make sure it hadn't faded.

Would you not right that on the cartrige sleeve or tuck a piece of paper in there....

The nes cart sleeves were solid black and I wanted to keep them nice and clean! Or did you mean writing the Passwords on the cartridges? because eeeerrr... for that you would need to take the Cart out of the NES and also you couldn't input the Password with the game inside the NES lol.

Keep in mind at the time of doing this... I was also probably around 6-9 years old. Fuck it though, it worked! Still have the passwords today! :> Also have my Zelda II cart, the last time I checked the save file in that was still there, not powered it up in a few years, but I'm hopeful it's still good.

Edit - Also I had a lot of piece of paper passwords back in the day... they are all gone now, my NES is not.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

huh. Why didn't you keep your passwords in a notebook? It got to the point where I was using a Trapper Keeper and my notes were in plastic sleeves.

bunchanumbers said:
Ganoncrotch said:

huh. Why didn't you keep your passwords in a notebook? It got to the point where I was using a Trapper Keeper and my notes were in plastic sleeves.

Could you show us a picture of those notes or do you still have the notebooks?

This is my point... of the oldest save I still actually have. I completed all 999 stages of Populous on the SNES using the passwords, but while I had a book to take them down with... I don't have that anymore, this I have.

I have my first ever Suikoden 2 save game, still on a memory card just incase I ever pick up an original PlayStation console.

I played it in 2000.