By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's Your Oldest Save File?

Oldest save file?

3+ years old 1 1.72%

5+ years old 4 6.90%

10+ years old 14 24.14%

15+ years old 18 31.03%

20+ years old 11 18.97%

25+ years old 5 8.62%

30+ years old 3 5.17%

Older... 2 3.45%

Total:58
Ganoncrotch said:
bunchanumbers said:

huh. Why didn't you keep your passwords in a notebook? It got to the point where I was using a Trapper Keeper and my notes were in plastic sleeves.

Could you show us a picture of those notes or do you still have the notebooks?

This is my point... of the oldest save I still actually have. I completed all 999 stages of Populous on the SNES using the passwords, but while I had a book to take them down with... I don't have that anymore, this I have.

Nope! I wish I could. It got stolen along with my NES mini and briefcase full of games. Even if I wrote the password on the system it would have been gone anyway

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
I have my first ever Suikoden 2 save game, still on a memory card just incase I ever pick up an original PlayStation console.

I played it in 2000.

If you get yourself a save for Suikoden 1 you can put it to use in a playthough of MGS too, Psycho Mantis will have a thing or two to say about it :)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

bunchanumbers said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Could you show us a picture of those notes or do you still have the notebooks?

This is my point... of the oldest save I still actually have. I completed all 999 stages of Populous on the SNES using the passwords, but while I had a book to take them down with... I don't have that anymore, this I have.

Nope! I wish I could. It got stolen along with my NES mini and briefcase full of games. Even if I wrote the password on the system it would have been gone anyway

NES Mini? Not sure I know what that is, but yeah like I said, I have got games with passwords written in their booklets... but when we had the NES I was very young, like under 10 years old, this would just be a case of the oldest save data which I currently have I think since my Gold Copy of Zelda II was gotten in exchange for a PSone game, far more recently but this save for both Megaman II and Bubble Bobble were from when the NES was out and the main platform of Nintendo making them far older.

Considering this is my original NES it has that reset bug sometimes when trying to play games so I do have a lovely clean newer model of the NES for playing on too, this system is just in my collection because of beautiful memories with it (it still works... just can be terpermental with resetting)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

BraLoD said:
I don't think I can discover the date of PS1 files, so I dunno, but I still have some save files on my two memory cards, maybe just one or two of them I haven't played much more recently than back in the day though, but they all work.

I'm not sure but I don't think the PSone had an internal clock with the date as a part of its BIOS setup? I'm almost certain that came in with the PS2, keeping in mind that the original PSone memory cards were just 128kb, they used one slot for management data and the other saves were just 8KB each... I don't think adding Time and Date to the saves would have been a crucial thing given the small space for data.

The oldest I still have is from ICO on ps2, the first game I bought after I moved oversees. I left the other PAL games and saves behind. On PC it's more recent due to hdd crashes, but maybe SOE still has my original Everquest characters somewhere waiting for me to come back, the game is still going since '99.

There's a large gap after consoles went with internal storage. XBox hdd died, 360 died, PS3 died, Wii died. Not that it really matters. The saves are either from a completed game or one I won't pick up again after all this time. The only ones I miss are my Rollercoaster tycoon creations, not even a screenshot left :( I actually uploaded my favorite park to a savegame exchange site, however I can't find the site anymore.

The oldest saves I actually still use are from DDR and Wii Fit, data going back to 2008.

Around the Network

Okay, I just tried some of my C64 games. Epyx Summer Games (1984) still has my old high scores. Since it was one of my first C64-games, this should be my oldest save file... I played that game in 1986 or 1987.

Ganoncrotch said:
bunchanumbers said:

NES Mini? Not sure I know what that is, but yeah like I said, I have got games with passwords written in their booklets... but when we had the NES I was very young, like under 10 years old, this would just be a case of the oldest save data which I currently have I think since my Gold Copy of Zelda II was gotten in exchange for a PSone game, far more recently but this save for both Megaman II and Bubble Bobble were from when the NES was out and the main platform of Nintendo making them far older.

Considering this is my original NES it has that reset bug sometimes when trying to play games so I do have a lovely clean newer model of the NES for playing on too, this system is just in my collection because of beautiful memories with it (it still works... just can be terpermental with resetting)

sorry! It was the top loader slim or whatever they wanted to call it. The controller was the dogbone. It was nice, but the cartridge sticking way out of the top looked a little ridiculous. 

Otherwise you can get replacement parts for your pins. The pins being bent is the most common problem with NES. I think they're less than $15 and you only need a couple phillips screwdrivers if memory serves.

bunchanumbers said:
Ganoncrotch said:

sorry! It was the top loader slim or whatever they wanted to call it. The controller was the dogbone. It was nice, but the cartridge sticking way out of the top looked a little ridiculous. 

Otherwise you can get replacement parts for your pins. The pins being bent is the most common problem with NES. I think they're less than $15 and you only need a couple phillips screwdrivers if memory serves.

Oh, here in EU we just have front loading versions of the console as pictured by me, but when it comes to getting into the cart pins it would probably take a whole lot of work, I found an almost new NES at a car boot sale and picked it up for around €5 with a bunch of games, was happy with that :) Lol... it did actually come a Master System and a Sega Saturn controller though, which... were handy in ways, less so for the NES, but I still have tons of accessories from my own system so I didn't mind.

The only one I know by heart is Golden Sun from 2002 since I'm stuck trying to beat the final boss.

I'm pretty sure I have a Pokemon red cartridge with save data. And, I may have some SNES cartridges with data as well.