By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
SvennoJ said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't think VR is a fad, but the games on it are.

Essentially, I think people will eventually just wanna play basic TV games on a VR headset but they'll just be more immersive. Hence, I don't think people really care about the content built for the gimmick of VR. At some point that will just get tedious.

Kinda agree with you there. Job simulator type stuff is fun for a while yet just like Wii motion, Kinect and Move, I don't see it having much of a future. The play area will always be limited which will restrict the kind of games that can be made for it.

Sit down gaming will still be most popular. What VR needs is a Myst style game, specifically made to make use of the wide fov, 3D audio and new interaction possibilities. Horror games can make even better use of the wide fov but I don't think those can become as big as Myst did back in the day. Racing and flying is a given but is also a bit niche and possibly too intense for many in vr. 3D platformers can thrive, especially those where you need to keep track of your surroundings and perhaps rts will find a new home.

Yeah, at some point I think the novelty of being able to move your arms around to interact with stuff will get old. That happened with other motion devices. Motion experiences have been around for a long time now and I think we've learned immersion doesn't exactly add substance to a game.

What I find most intriguing about VR is just how it will make the normal TV gamepad titles a little more immersive, basically being able to peek around without moving the actual character sounds cool. But I don't need to manipulate things with my hands, that's more novelty and fad territoy in many cases.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:

LivingMetal said:
Do you think PSVR is a fly-by-night, or will it actually survive into the next generation of console gaming? 
And will it do so due to consumer demand, or will it be forced on the consumer by Sony?  

Is this a serious question?  No, Sony is not forcing it on consumers like MS with Xbone,
doing so would basically double the cost of the console (or more than double, for Slim).
Nothing of the sort has every been intimated by Sony.  Not sure what else to say there.

It is a serious question in which Sony could bundle PSVR will every console sold starting next gen such as Microsoft did with Kinect during the beginning on this gen. Yes, I feel it's highly improbably, but you never know.

By all logic, VR should be the future. But for each passing day I'm losing my confidence about its success because there are so damn few people who are excited about VR. And that must mean something. It must mean that the owners of VR aren't convincing enough about VR's attraction. And if they're not convincing enough it must mean the attraction just isn't there.

VR feels really like a niche product. Almost nobody of the gamers on VGC is excited for VR, and even I am less and less.

One year ago I was very excited but now I'm only mildly excited. The problem is not just the high price, but the lack of functional games. I see current VR as the kind of "kinda cool" experience you only spend 15 minutes on here and there until the novelty wears off and you put it on the dust bin.

That people compare PSVR to the freaking Kenict is already very worrying lol

LivingMetal said:
mutantsushi said:

Is this a serious question?  No, Sony is not forcing it on consumers like MS with Xbone,
doing so would basically double the cost of the console (or more than double, for Slim).
Nothing of the sort has every been intimated by Sony.  Not sure what else to say there.

It is a serious question in which Sony could bundle PSVR will every console sold starting next gen such as Microsoft did with Kinect during the beginning on this gen. Yes, I feel it's highly improbably, but you never know.

It will rather be like the NX. The headset is the console with possibly airplay to use it on the tv as well. That's probably gen x, 2021 is too early for that, although smart phone tech is going pretty fast. Yet for the lowest lag the processing power should be in the headset.
Gen 9, the last gen of bulky consoles?

PSVR itself might be remembered as a clunky fad, but VR is the future.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
All VR. If you haven't tried it you will say "Eh, it's a gimick", if you have tried it you will believe this is going to stick and become the norm (if not gen 2 being a VR/AR hybrid) or you are way to prone to motion sickness, it's not for you. I'm hoping gen 2 has camera's on the fron't and an internal operating system/menu. I'm in either way once I can find somewhere that hasn't sold out.

I have tried it and I don't see it lasting at all. The few games I sampled it looks cool at first and it gives a quick satisfaction that starts fading away after 20 minutes. The reason the excitement fades away is because you start noticing that you have a heavy set on your head and the  extremely big goggles start getting out of place after moving so much making them uncomfortable. I doubt anyone will sit down for hours with that thing on, much less finish a complete game like Call of Duty or Final Fantasy The VR set at most will be, just as other people have said, a Wii Mote or Kinect. You can use it for short sessions and then put it down and move on to playing without it.

AsGryffynn said:
LivingMetal said:

This is going to ruffle some feathers...

Between Kinect and PSVR, which will have the better longevity?  As we know:

Kinect = Motion sensor without the conventional controller.

PSVR = Virtual Reality headset that replaces a conventional television.

Yes, they are different techs with different purposes.  But which to you predict will find more success in regards to longevity in the context of gaming console entertainment?  From my standpoint, Kinect is pretty much dead.  Introduced during the Xbox 360 era and arguable forced in the Xbox One era.  There is hardly any support for it now.  Do you think PSVR is a fly-by-night, or will it actually survive into the next generation of console gaming?  And will it do so due to consumer demand, or will it be forced on the consumer by Sony?  Will PSVR survive longer than Kinect?

If VR becomes a thing, it might live on longer, but odds are it won't. Kinect did live for nearly 6 years... 

Our definitions of "live" in relation to technology are very different. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Soonerman said:
John2290 said:
All VR. If you haven't tried it you will say "Eh, it's a gimick", if you have tried it you will believe this is going to stick and become the norm (if not gen 2 being a VR/AR hybrid) or you are way to prone to motion sickness, it's not for you. I'm hoping gen 2 has camera's on the fron't and an internal operating system/menu. I'm in either way once I can find somewhere that hasn't sold out.

I have tried it and I don't see it lasting at all. The few games I sampled it looks cool at first and it gives a quick satisfaction that starts fading away after 20 minutes. The reason the excitement fades away is because you start noticing that you have a heavy set on your head and the  extremely big goggles start getting out of place after moving so much making them uncomfortable. I doubt anyone will sit down for hours with that thing on, much less finish a complete game like Call of Duty or Final Fantasy The VR set at most will be, just as other people have said, a Wii Mote or Kinect. You can use it for short sessions and then put it down and move on to playing without it.

I don't have time for 3 hour game sessions anymore, an hour at the time at most. If VR can make that more interesting then perfect. Going away into a Myst like game for an hour a night sounds very inviting to me. Yet who knows, this sounds very promising: Sony's efforts here put them at the head of the pack - a great reminder of just how good quality Japanese design can be. I wore the PSVR headset for almost 12 hours straight during one day in putting together this review and felt no kind of stress, pressure or headache at all from the hardware. source Perhaps playing through a big rpg for multiple hours will be fine too. Sure, you'll put down the move controllers, grab a regular controller, recline comfortably and play at your leisure, looking around a bit with headtracking only.

sorry to say it but VR in general is not a fad, there was VR in arcades in the 90's although primitive to VR today people still want VR after over 20 years of VR being available, what will decide its fate is affordability but already HTC is already working on a new VIVE which should be cheaper than the current VIVE headset (using HTC VIVE as an example even though the thread is about PSVR vs Kinect), what separates VR from Kinect is the fact you are immersed into a VR world rather than just reacting to objects on the screen with a camera tracking your body movements, im sure in the 60's people thought 3d movies would just be a fad yet people still pay to watch movies in 3d in 2016, VR might be new to people under the age of 20 but for those of us over the age of 20 i cant think of anyone back in the 90's who didnt want VR on their home computer/console.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

Kinect was never going to be used in core gaming. They tried to push it this gen and it failed miserably. PSVR has lots of potential and may be it will not be too popular this gen but is going to be much bigger next gen.