By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

is VR not already dead? Rift/Vive?

Around the Network

VR as a technology will continue to improve and become a bigger and bigger part of gaming.

PSVR though, who knows.

Not really an apt comparison.

VR is the future, and it will be here until holo decks can be made for home use.

PSVR is part of a much larger VR medium. VR is so far beyond just games and PlayStation, and that is what will make it succeed. Unlike Kinect which was an Xbox only thing, with some tie to PC, VR is available on Consoles, PCs, Phones, Stand alone, and on Super Computers with massivly more expensive gear.

With VR we have a medium which is being used in the training of Doctors, Piolets, Mechanics, and many more. It is being developed for by historians, museaums, auto manufacturers, airplane companies, sporting organizations, and basically just about field you can think of.

Going back to PSVR specifically, Sony is not looking at PSVR as a gaming only platform. Sony is looking at it like a Smartphone. They want to bring a much larger scope of content to the device than the typical games and entertainment usually found on consoles. The non gaming applications will be what drives PSVR to success, and ultimatly has it at the heart of all future PlayStations.

Honestly, at this point, we have reached the end of what can be done on a controller and a flat screen. All it is from here on out is prettier versions of the same thing we have been playing for over a decade. The combonation of VR headsets, Positinal Tracking, and motion controls will usher in a future new new gaming possibilities that will take decades to tune, and will offer 1000's of new and innovative games.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

VR is a fad.

And a pretty expensive one at that.

Love how people claim VR is the future. As far as I know, VR has been "the future" since the 80s and it has yet to succeed.

Around the Network

Vr will continue to improve. Sharp already announced screens for vr

VR is a new medium, Kinect was a new input method.
That's the same question as Power glove vs Smart phone.

Btw Kinect tech is still used in VR. Sony brought back Move with psvr, who is to say MS won't bring back Kinect 2.0 for Scorpio plus OR.

I'd argue Kinect died before the One was announced, sales were dropping pretty steadily after the first year. It was forced on early current gen adopters and didn't regain any traction it had in 2010-11 and it seems like Microsoft are abandoning it for the time being.

I'm hoping VR in general picks up, there's nothing I want more than a long library or horror survival games on VR.

I don't know if the first version of psvr will outsell Kinect but I expect it to be supported a lot longer than Kinect was by developers.

LivingMetal said:
Kinect = Motion sensor without the conventional controller.
PSVR = Virtual Reality headset that replaces a conventional television.

^ + PS Move, used for many PSVR games, motion sensor WITH controller buttons, d-pad, etc.
Allowing both motion controls and button controls without deciding between one or the other.

LivingMetal said:
Do you think PSVR is a fly-by-night, or will it actually survive into the next generation of console gaming? 
And will it do so due to consumer demand, or will it be forced on the consumer by Sony?  

Is this a serious question?  No, Sony is not forcing it on consumers like MS with Xbone,
doing so would basically double the cost of the console (or more than double, for Slim).
Nothing of the sort has every been intimated by Sony.  Not sure what else to say there.

Kinect, because voice commands. It's part of life.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence