By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Captain Toad or Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Got a birthday coupon from Nintendo(just realized 1 day before it expires lol). Have an option to get Captain Toad for $30 or Xenoblade Chronicles X for $42.

if you were in  my position(and didn't have either one), which one would you get?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

Depends on what you want. These games couldn't be more different, so its really up to you if you want a huge and deep JRPG or a fun little puzzle platformer.

For $402? OR do you mean $40? xD I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles hands down.

Depends on your preferences.

What do you think you'd enjoy more, a colourful cartoon puzzle game, or an epic sci-fi JRPG?

Bandorr said:

The enemies being all over the world is fine. Those enemies level varying wildly - and usually being much higher than yours ruined it for me.

I found it almost impossible to explore, and get to my checkpoints/mission points without running into enemies 20+ levels higher.

While it could be rage-inducing at times, I think this was overall a good thing as it maintained the feeling of being lost in a dangerous alien wilderness where therer could be a hulking monstrosity you're absolutely no match for lurking around any corner.

Around the Network

I mean, if you are asking which is the better game, I would say XCX hands down by a mile and a half. But they are radically different so the REAL question is this: what do you want?

CT is a handful of hours long, easy, relaxing puzzle platformer.

XCX is a massive RPG and while you CAN complete it in 50 hours by steamrolling the story content, I *strongly* advise against that and impress upon you that the ideal way to play is holistically, playing side conteng in between main missions, making the ideal play time 90 to 110 hours.

Good news is both are good, but it's an issue of what you want.

Bandorr said:
curl-6 said:

While it could be rage-inducing at times, I think this was overall a good thing as it maintained the feeling of being lost in a dangerous alien wilderness where therer could be a hulking monstrosity you're absolutely no match for lurking around any corner.

At first yes. The issue was it was constant. Destroying a beacon, getting to a boss, installing a probe.

Then you get to the requirements like "install 20 probes" in which you actively have to explore and put in a lot of probes. I got to my very last probe of that quest and killed by a huge enemy. It was just too annoying to constantly explore, run and die.

The reason I felt the game got away with it was cos there was pretty much no penalty for death. You were sent back to the nearest waypoint, but since I didn't lose progress or anything like that, it didn't sting as much as it could have.

Xenoblade

I wouldn't recommend Chronicles X if you have important stuff to do right now, school, other projects. This game consumes life. You could beat solely the main story, but even that requires about 80-90 hours or even more depending on your playstyle. Then again, there are other details of which players complain about, like the fact that there are many enemies with a lot more levels than you, the lack of a streamlined progression, the overwhelming nature of the game (there are points where some just won't know what to do next, something that it's likely to happen if you are not very experienced with RPGs), the mandatory farming to be able to beat the superbosses, etcetera. 

It's not an easy game to follow, but if you don't mind any of these factors, then it's perfect for you. It has a lot of action and experimenting with clasess it's fun. Otherwise, Captain Toad is your man. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Have you played 3D world? And have you tried the Toad thing? If you didn't like it then I guess choose Xenoblade

I would choose Xenoblade because that shit is not getting cheaper at my store and Captain Toad is not my style (didn't like it in 3D world)

Pocky Lover Boy!