By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we insist that NX has to be another PS or XB, or else it'll fail?

Does NX need to be on par with PS4 and XBone to succeed?

Yes 96 30.77%

No 118 37.82%

Yes, but... 33 10.58%

No, but... 65 20.83%

Total:312
TomaTito said:
KLXVER said:

They cant wait until like 2 months before release to announce the thing. Thats just silly. Its not like its a phone that everyone get what its about the moment they announce it. Its not just another iteration of an established system. If the initial impression people have of the NX is bad, then they need the time to sell people on it. There are also launch games from both first and third party that needs to be announced and marketed. Its not like it will have 2 or 3 launch games.

Maybe it's a lie I tell myself so I'm not overly anxious every week waiting for the NX reveal.

This way I can relax and play my backlog (specially now that the bad weather is coming).

I get that. Its frustrating waiting for something youre curious about. Especially when we get fifty rumors every week of what the damn thing is.

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, but they are difrent products, and NX is way more important than Super Mario Run, NX will get best timing for reavile regardles Super Mario Run, they will not hold back reveal of NX until December just because of Super Mario Run,it would be very bad move to reveal NX in a middle of holiday season. Second Super Mario Run won't have effect on NX until NX arrives in March, so there is no need at all to wait first Super Mario Run launch and then reveal NX.

They wont reveal the NX just after releasing SMR on iOS, they'd wait till everyone has it on Android too, so expect it sometime during 2017 like I already said a few days ago.

Either way time will tell us who is right. You can continue waiting for the reveal all these coming months.

Of course that they will not wait for SMR to unveil NX, they will not revile NX just month or two before launch that would be just silly.

KLXVER said:

They cant wait until like 2 months before release to announce the thing. Thats just silly. Its not like its a phone that everyone get what its about the moment they announce it. Its not just another iteration of an established system. If the initial impression people have of the NX is bad, then they need the time to sell people on it. There are also launch games from both first and third party that needs to be announced and marketed. Its not like it will have 2 or 3 launch games.

I don't know about that this may have been true a decade ago but times have move on drastically since then, you don't need half a year to start marketing anymore as it's far easier to reach consumers now days. The's also the factor of whether or not NX covers both portable and home gaming whether as a hybrid or family of devices, the's no other competitor in the portable market as it seems Sony have fled that market Nintendo has a free win in that area.

Wyrdness said:
KLXVER said:

I don't know about that this may have been true a decade ago but times have move on drastically since then, you don't need half a year to start marketing anymore as it's far easier to reach consumers now days. The's also the factor of whether or not NX covers both portable and home gaming whether as a hybrid or family of devices, the's no other competitor in the portable market as it seems Sony have fled that market Nintendo has a free win in that area.

They still need time to sell people on a product. Of course for some of us who will watch the announcment and have pretty much already made up our mind to buy it, it doesnt matter much. However they are going after a broader market and they need the time to reach more people. Doesnt matter if nobody else is releasing a handheld or not. Nintendo need to convince people that what their handheld offers is not available on a phone or Ipad. They need to sell people on the system. If they do it a few weeks before release and the first impression is mainly negative, then they are in the same situation as the WiiU where they are desperately trying to sell you a product that is already failing. They need to get people excited for it before the release and it might take some time to gain momentum.

Also note that the release of Super Mario Run delayed their Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing mobile titles.

Would be funny if the SMR app had Mario NX ads updated into it after the NX reveal. It's all marketing ;)

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

OK, fine, call it sympathy or what have you,
but since it looks like this thread will fail otherwise,
I will actually insist: The NX must be another Xbox/ Playstation or else it will fail.
There.

KLXVER said:

They still need time to sell people on a product. Of course for some of us who will watch the announcment and have pretty much already made up our mind to buy it, it doesnt matter much. However they are going after a broader market and they need the time to reach more people. Doesnt matter if nobody else is releasing a handheld or not. Nintendo need to convince people that what their handheld offers is not available on a phone or Ipad. They need to sell people on the system. If they do it a few weeks before release and the first impression is mainly negative, then they are in the same situation as the WiiU where they are desperately trying to sell you a product that is already failing. They need to get people excited for it before the release and it might take some time to gain momentum.

People already know what's on their handhelds is not on mobile or iPad, all portable gamers have only one choice at this point they've auto won in that department as it's a straight up 10m (possibly even 20m) or so sales by default, you also don't need loads of time to reach people you need the right marketing and communication and that's what Wii had. We're no longer in the dark ages where they need a year to start marketing I'll say that time has been cut to 4 or so months provided preparations are already in place.

TomaTito said:

Also note that the release of Super Mario Run delayed their Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing mobile titles.

Would be funny if the SMR app had Mario NX ads updated into it after the NX reveal. It's all marketing ;)

SMR will be bigger title than Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing and offcourse they want to have strongest title for holiday season.

Wyrdness said:
KLXVER said:

People already know what's on their handhelds is not on mobile or iPad, all portable gamers have only one choice at this point they've auto won in that department as it's a straight up 10m (possibly even 20m) or so sales by default, you also don't need loads of time to reach people you need the right marketing and communication and that's what Wii had. We're no longer in the dark ages where they need a year to start marketing I'll say that time has been cut to 4 or so months provided preparations are already in place.

The WiiU was announced way before it released and many people still didnt know wtf it was. The message needs to be very clear. If its a simple handheld, then thats fine, but what about the 10-20 launch games that needs to be marketed? Its not just all on Nintendo. Other companies needs opportunities to sell their games and its been pretty obvious that Nintendos own games are the ones that take the front seat in Nintendos own Direct or conference or whatever they do. Each company dont have their own conference every 2-3 months. They need time to sell their games as well. If Nintendo really waits until 3-4 months before release to announce, then they really dont have any respect for the other publishers and developers that are making games for their console. 

KLXVER said:

The WiiU was announced way before it released and many people still didnt know wtf it was. The message needs to be very clear. If its a simple handheld, then thats fine, but what about the 10-20 launch games that needs to be marketed? Its not just all on Nintendo. Other companies needs opportunities to sell their games and its been pretty obvious that Nintendos own games are the ones that take the front seat in Nintendos own Direct or conference or whatever they do. Each company dont have their own conference every 2-3 months. They need time to sell their games as well. If Nintendo really waits until 3-4 months before release to announce, then they really dont have any respect for the other publishers and developers that are making games for their console. 

If a publisher really needs all the extra time to market in today's world then they're being inefficient, Fallout 4 for example was only revealed at E3, literally 5 months before its release, this is the era we're in now and if a company can't keep up it's on them. When developers and publishers decided to be on NX they would have been made aware of this when signing NDAs as well.