By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we insist that NX has to be another PS or XB, or else it'll fail?

Does NX need to be on par with PS4 and XBone to succeed?

Yes 96 30.77%

No 118 37.82%

Yes, but... 33 10.58%

No, but... 65 20.83%

Total:312

Part of it is tech specs are easy to compare, been that way since I started gaming. This system has 8 bits, that one has 16 bits, 16 is more than 8 so it must be better.

The issue for Nintendo will not be selling power, it will be selling value. The Wii was considered great value, the Wii U was not. If they can get the 3DS audience on board I think they'll be happy with sales.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Totally agree with OP, people looking at PS4/XB1 and saying if NX want to have some chances to be success need to be like them, and of course that is totally wrong, there is no room on market for 3 identical consoles, especially when one coming in middle in generation. NX needs to be different than PS4/XB1, it needs to coexist with PS4/XB1 on market not to fight against them with row power (in that case it would easily loose).

Well said

Ljink96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Totally agree with OP, people looking at PS4/XB1 and saying if NX want to have some chances to be success need to be like them, and of course that is totally wrong, there is no room on market for 3 identical consoles, especially when one coming in middle in generation. NX needs to be different than PS4/XB1, it needs to coexist with PS4/XB1 on market not to fight against them with row power (in that case it would easily loose).

Well said

And who said you can't be different AND be as powerful as a 3 years old console?

If the NX is not powerful enough to get the usual big third party games like FIFA, COD, BF, Assassin's Creed and others like that, it will be Wii U 2.0, it's pretty easy to understand this even without being "the same console".

You gotta keep in mind though, that the 3DS and Wii both were more powerful than their competition from the gen before; 3DS was still more powerful than PSP, and Wii were more powerful than the original Xbox. From what we're hearing regarding the NX, that won't be the case; it'll be a gen 9 console, weaker than it's main competition one generation behind! That's NEVER happened before. Ever. I think.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Faelco said:
Ljink96 said:

Well said

And who said you can't be different AND be as powerful as a 3 years old console?

If the NX is not powerful enough to get the usual big third party games like FIFA, COD, BF, Assassin's Creed and others like that, it will be Wii U 2.0, it's pretty easy to understand this even without being "the same console".

People are set in their ways. Nobody is going to buy COD on NX, or any Nintendo console. The market and demographic is much different. IT doesn't make since to try to be a consumer whore when the consumers aren't trying to get laid. Wii U failed because it was a poor concept, high price, and yes not enough games but not only was it not enough, it wasn't the right games. Nintendo was absent at launch besides a rehashed Mario game. NX won't share the same fate with software. Where Sega and Square Enix shunned Wii U with their more agressive software, NX seems to be getting some decent software from them. NX doesn't need Cod or BF, or any western 3rd party games because their consumer base doesn't care about them.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
You gotta keep in mind though, that the 3DS and Wii both were more powerful than their competition from the gen before; 3DS was still more powerful than PSP, and Wii were more powerful than the original Xbox. From what we're hearing regarding the NX, that won't be the case; it'll be a gen 9 console, weaker than it's main competition one generation behind! That's NEVER happened before. Ever. I think.

I dont think the WiiU was as powerful as the PS3.

I'm a gamer.  I like games.  I like all games.  I like Nintendo games most of all.  I would like a system that plays Nintendo games and 3rd party titles.  I don't care much about Sony and MS 1st party.  It's annoying that for the last decade Nintendo has produced systems that can't be a primary console because most of the industry ingnores them.  I don't really care about novel new interfaces.  I liked the Wii-mote for a time because it was a new experience, but eventually I bored of it and it was mostly just annoying in games like Skyward Sword.  And it was boring most of all because hot new franchises weren't on the system.  I liked Wii U but the screen was mostly useless and the size of the controller annoying.  The screen was cool for playing music at parties, but eventually it became pointless when Spotify could be selected on my phone.  Now it's just a big controller with a short battery life.  Innovation?  Creativity?  No, not for me.

I want Nintendo to make a good System with good games and support.  Preferably one that doesn't require me to by an XBox Scorpio in a year or two to play the latest new game concept from a random publisher that doesn't put its games on Nintendo's systems.  I'd like some hardware innoavation too, sure.  But something I will actually enjoy as a gamer.  shoulder buttons, synthesized sound, huge colour pallete and Mode-7 3D on SNES?  Yes please!  A touch screen on a pointlessly weak system?  No thanks.  Though I did enjoy the built-in speaker.

If NX has innovation, it should be in a way that enhances true gaming, not in a way designed to distract from cheaping out on power.  The cheap processors are so stupid anyway.  MS and Sony aren't breaking the bank on their kit, and Wii U had to be sold at a loss.  Just stupid decisions.

KLXVER said:
DanneSandin said:

I dont think the WiiU was as powerful as the PS3.

At the very least it has more power under the hood than the PS3, even if that doesn't reflect in the quality of graphics etc. And if that's the one and only time it has happened, well... case in point

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:

Wii U is similar in power to PS3/360 with the same architecture and was designed to get ports. It launched with Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, Assassin's Creed, Batman, Mass Effect, Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden, Tekken.

It sold poorly because why would anybody switch from PS3/360 to Wii U to play games they can already get?

If Nintendo releases a $300-400 thats somewhere between PS4 & PS4 Pro level of power with an emphasis on getting ports, how is that any different from Wii U?

People who bought a PS4/XBO from 2013-2016 arent going to switch to a new similar console to play the same games, people in 2017 and beyond looking for a console are going to likely pick the ones with a large existing library and online community.

The only main difference would be that Wii U released 6-7 years after PS3/360 while NX is set to launch 3.5 years after PS4/XBO which may help to a slight degree.

Well the Wii U didn`t release until 2012. The Xbox 360 was 2005. The Wii U was way too late for that party. Of course people wouldn`t switch, if they had really went for power though and it had been similar to PS4/Xbox One then people wouldn`t need to just switch since it would actually be an upgrade.

Besides, there was some other pretty big differences between that and PS/Xbox, namely a large expensive tablet controller.

If the NX does go for power it may very well be too little too late, but at least it won`t be anywhere near as late as the Wii U was.

yes, i went over that in my last post, Wii U released 6-7 years later than PS3/360 while NX is set to release 3.5 years after PS4/XBO but that doesnt really change anything because current PS4/XBO owners arent going to switch over to NX to play the same games and people who care about power are going to pick Pro/Scorpio.

NX could get multiplats but it will be the same as Wii U where they likely wont sell too well because the audience isnt there.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ljink96 said:

The market and demographic is much different. 

If you don't want the third party AAA crowd because you prefer to have the classic Nintendo gamer crowd, then your product will fail, and that's exactly what the Wii U did (a huge majority of Nintendo gamers bought the consoel now, but it's still nothing). For a home console to be popular, you need to give something for all kind of demographics. The Nintendo hardcore fans are a small market, too small for a home console to be successful without other demographics. And several demographics have everything they need on PS4 and Xbox One, so the NX need to offer something interesting for them too.

The NX will surely sell pretty well for its handheld part anyway, but if they split the 2 (home console on one SKU and handheld on another), then one SKU will massively outsell the other. And if they don't split the 2, then the overall console could be too expensive for the handheld market. We'll see how they manage this, but it's a tough balance act and Nintendo had some trouble with marketing and decisison-making lately...