By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we insist that NX has to be another PS or XB, or else it'll fail?

Does NX need to be on par with PS4 and XBone to succeed?

Yes 96 30.77%

No 118 37.82%

Yes, but... 33 10.58%

No, but... 65 20.83%

Total:312
Faelco said:
Ljink96 said:

Well said

And who said you can't be different AND be as powerful as a 3 years old console?

If the NX is not powerful enough to get the usual big third party games like FIFA, COD, BF, Assassin's Creed and others like that, it will be Wii U 2.0, it's pretty easy to understand this even without being "the same console".

NX is launching in middle of generation, it's hard to have solid power, to offer something new and different, and to have affordable price, all at same time. With NX Nintendo is aming affordable price for mass market and something different from XB1/PS4 with new concept.

But fact is that Wii U was powerful enough to have FIFA, NBA, NHL, CoD, AC, Batman, NFS...Wii U actually had all those games in 1st year, 3rd party start abandoning Wii U after terrible sales, so that actually don't have anything with power of Wii U hardware. Wii U didnt failed because power of hardware, it failed because terrible and misunderstood marketing and naming, not unapiling gimmick, high price, weak launch and 1st year lineup, software drought, bad timing..

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:

If NX has innovation, it should be in a way that enhances true gaming, not in a way designed to distract from cheaping out on power.  The cheap processors are so stupid anyway.  MS and Sony aren't breaking the bank on their kit, and Wii U had to be sold at a loss.  Just stupid decisions.

Thats basically what Sony is doing this gen.

Everything is focused on "gameing" and getting as good a gameing experiance as possbile for your $$$.

It worked out well enough for them. It could probably work out for nintendo it they wanted to try that.

However they view it as too much trouble, the competition as too tough (its a "red ocean" of blood, and theres sharks in it).

So their purposefully going another direction (the blue ocean), basically you probably shouldnt expect to get a system like that.

Nintendo doesnt believe it can do a system like it anymore.

JRPGfan said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

If NX has innovation, it should be in a way that enhances true gaming, not in a way designed to distract from cheaping out on power.  The cheap processors are so stupid anyway.  MS and Sony aren't breaking the bank on their kit, and Wii U had to be sold at a loss.  Just stupid decisions.

Thats basically what Sony is doing this gen.

Everything is focused on "gameing" and getting as good a gameing experiance as possbile for your $$$.

It worked out well enough for them. It could probably work out for nintendo it they wanted to try that.

However they view it as too much trouble, the competition as too tough (its a "red ocean" of blood, and theres sharks in it).

So their purposefully going another direction (the blue ocean), basically you probably shouldnt expect to get a system like that.

Nintendo doesnt believe it can do a system like it anymore.

Sony and MS both offer great systems focused on gamers with solid multi-media experiences.  The biggest flaw of both, for me, is simply that they don't offer Nintendo's games, which I enjoy tremendously.  I don't necessarily "expect" a system of my desires from Nintendo, although I'm not ruling it out either.  Miymoto said that Nintendo needs to focus more on core gamers because they are more loyal.  I think NX will - at least in part - focus on this audience while their mobile offerings target the more casual demographic.

If Nintendo wants to be truly successful, they should be targeting all oceans with their offering.

DanneSandin said:
You gotta keep in mind though, that the 3DS and Wii both were more powerful than their competition from the gen before; 3DS was still more powerful than PSP, and Wii were more powerful than the original Xbox. From what we're hearing regarding the NX, that won't be the case; it'll be a gen 9 console, weaker than it's main competition one generation behind! That's NEVER happened before. Ever. I think.

We're also hearing that it's possibly some kind of hybrid though that's a different scenario altogether.

Ljink96 said:
vivster said:
Well just think about this way. The only way for the NX to be more successful than the Wii U is to gain some users back from the PS4/Xbox share. How would you do that if you can't even be on the same level as them let alone surpass them? Why would people who were not interested in the Wii U buy the NX?

I would have to disagree and say that Nintendo's users didn't move to PS4 or Xbox One. At least their console gamers didn't move. From Wii to Wii U, I don't think it was a movement but a loss of consumers, casual consumers that is. And that is itself a bigger market than PS and Xbox have. Nintendo got a taste of that market with Wii and they've been trying to gain them back because if they do, it's a surefire success. But the problem is, that market has moved to mobile devices.

So I guess in a way you're right, if NX fails to court that Blue Ocean market that Nintendo wants, the only way to increase NX's marketshare would be to gain back PS and XB users but they're already so set in that brand. It's a really strange situation.

I moved from Wii U to PS4, and like me a lot of people did too. A lot of my friends sold their Wii U's and bought PS4's and XBone's

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Faelco said:

And who said you can't be different AND be as powerful as a 3 years old console?

If the NX is not powerful enough to get the usual big third party games like FIFA, COD, BF, Assassin's Creed and others like that, it will be Wii U 2.0, it's pretty easy to understand this even without being "the same console".

People are set in their ways. Nobody is going to buy COD on NX, or any Nintendo console. The market and demographic is much different. IT doesn't make since to try to be a consumer whore when the consumers aren't trying to get laid. Wii U failed because it was a poor concept, high price, and yes not enough games but not only was it not enough, it wasn't the right games. Nintendo was absent at launch besides a rehashed Mario game. NX won't share the same fate with software. Where Sega and Square Enix shunned Wii U with their more agressive software, NX seems to be getting some decent software from them. NX doesn't need Cod or BF, or any western 3rd party games because their consumer base doesn't care about them.

OP you are so wrong, man. Imagine a powerful Nintendo console, where the 1st party games look amazing, with the backup of 3rd party developers. It does not have to be more of the same like PS4 and Xbox. I would buy COD, Final Fantasy etc... It would be like the SNES days, good console, great 1st party titles and a plethora of 3rd party games as well. 

Miyamotoo said:
Player2 said:

Yeah, remember when Nintendo made a mobile Pokemon game and sales of 3DS and handheld Pokemon games went down the toilet? I thought they would learn from it, but nope.

Yup, some people dont realise that after Pokemon GO was released, 3DS and Pokemon games received huge boost in sales, its very obvious that is a plan with Super Mario Run and other Nintendo mobile games.

Yes you are right. You wouldn't think people would go out and buy more Pokemon games after getting one on their phone but that is exactly what happened. It's crazy when you think about it. 

But Pokemon is a phenomenon, Mario is not. Mario is good, but it's no Pokemon. I personally can't see people running out and buying the NX because they got Mario on their phone. But they might get NX for Pokemon.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

darkrulier said:

I moved from Wii U to PS4, and like me a lot of people did too. A lot of my friends sold their Wii U's and bought PS4's and XBone's

I also sold my Wii U and moved over to Sony and I love my PS4.

As a long time Nintendo fan I'm not expecting the NX to be powerful. I expect it to be fun. And I think we can look forward to many years of fun games on NX, no matter how powerful it will be or how well it sells.

Just show us what it is and how much it will cost Nintendo, so I can get my preorder in.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Most probably think it's as simple as power = full third party support, and while they could be right, I find that extremely unlikely. Afterall post Wii U launch the PS3/360 got many games the Wii U didn't despite being on par. I think not only will Nintendo have to have a powerful system, but also build a large installbase, heavily moneyhat, and change their image to fit with third partys. By that I mean make the same kinds of games so they get the audience that buys third party games, and I definitely don't see Nintendo ever doing that.

SonytendoAmiibo said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yup, some people dont realise that after Pokemon GO was released, 3DS and Pokemon games received huge boost in sales, its very obvious that is a plan with Super Mario Run and other Nintendo mobile games.

Yes you are right. You wouldn't think people would go out and buy more Pokemon games after getting one on their phone but that is exactly what happened. It's crazy when you think about it. 

But Pokemon is a phenomenon, Mario is not. Mario is good, but it's no Pokemon. I personally can't see people running out and buying the NX because they got Mario on their phone. But they might get NX for Pokemon.

Pokemon Go is so phenomenal because it's interesting because of AR concept, but overal Mario has wider apeling than Pokemon, Mario Run specifically can be played from 3y to 99y old, that isnt case even with Pokemon Go.

Mario Run and other Nintendo mobile will definitely also have some effect on NX, maybe want be strong effect like for Pokemon Go (or maybe will be even bigger effect), but definitely will affect that some people after Mario Run and other Nintendo mobile games consider and edning buying dedicated Nintendo platform where they have full and much reacher experience of those games.

Nintendo itself said, they want mobile games to be bridge to their dedicated gaming platforms, they also said that before Nintendo games were games that kids first playing, but in era of mobiles and tablets now they are mobile games, and Nintendo want to people be much more aware of Mario and other Nintendo IPs through mobile.