By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz's top five open world games - Results are in! Detailed results inside

Witcher 3 wins in a landslide. Not surprised. Definitely one of the greatest open world games of all time.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
alternine said:
Witcher 3 wins in a landslide. Not surprised. Definitely one of the greatest open world games of all time.

Yes it beat GTA and The Elder Scrolls series and those are very popular franchises. But it may also have to do with there being more RPG gamers on this site than open world action games.

Nice results.

Elder Scrolls is the highest scoring open world franchise.

Oblivion is the oldest game to be included in the top 12.

This speaks of quality.

MTZehvor said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Dark Souls does allow exploration after the initial grind. There are many games that lock part of the world like all the GTA games before GTA V and Infamous games, both series are considered open world.

Sexy Beach Premium Resort is a game I know nothing about but if its been voted for, I assume it is an open world game. Same with the Gothic games.

As someone who has played every single Dark Souls game, I'm aware of the fact that Dark Souls allows exploration. Point is that allowing for exploration does not simply make a game open world. You can, for example, explore the world in Ocarina of Time to your hearts' content, but very few people, if any, consider it an open world game.

What separates an open world game from a game that simply allows exploration is how interconnected the world is. For example, let's take Dark Souls 2 and Just Cause 3. Choose any area in the game in Dark Souls 2, and the number of methods to get there outside of warping will be limited. Let's use No Man's Wharf from DS2 as an example, although this can really apply to just about anything. If you want to get to No Man's Wharf, you have to pass through either the elevator from Heide's Tower of Flame, or ride the boat in from the Lost Bastille. That's it. Those are the only two entrance points. It's a sectioned off area, and there is no other way to get in outside. Just about every area in the Dark Souls series fits inside these guidelines; a very limited number of entrance and exit points. 

Now take something like Citate Di Ravello from Just Cause. You can walk into the city from any direction, you can hookshot in, you can fly in if you find a vehicle, if you can drive in if you have a car. There aren't any strict entrance or exit points that you have to use if you want to enter the city. This is applicable for just about every single area in the entire game. Yes, some parts of the world are initially locked off, but the world itself is actually, well, a world, rather than a bunch of sectioned off areas with interconnecting passages (which isn't meant as a negative; I've thoroughly enjoyed the Souls' series). That's the difference between a standard exploration game and an open world game.

Perhaps more to the point, go look up just any gaming website's list of best open world games. You won't find Dark Souls, or Metroid, or Castlevania, or Zelda on there, despite games like Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Symphony of the Night, and Ocarina of Time constantly being praised as some of the greatest games of all time. And that's not because the people making the open world lists just don't like those games as much, it's because the vast majority of the gaming press doesn't consider titles like Metroid or Dark Souls to be open world.

And, uh, no, Sexy Premium Beach Resort is most definitely not an open world game, even by the very loosest definition of the term. Truth be told, I'm not really sure what it is. Here's some example gameplay to give you an idea.

You are correct. Originally I included Dark Souls in my list because I followed others here, but it felt wrong. Dark Souls is not open world.

And the Dark Souls developers himself do not classify Dark Souls as open world. They is inspired by open world but it's not proper open world.

Nice to see New Vegas in 5th.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Nice results.

Elder Scrolls is the highest scoring open world franchise.

Oblivion is the oldest game to be included in the top 12.

This speaks of quality.

This was expected. This site has many RPG fans.

Xenoblade X😎

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I'm glad to see that Witcher 3 got the top spot. Its one of my lifetime favorites, over 35 years of gaming.

VAMatt said:
I'm glad to see that Witcher 3 got the top spot. Its one of my lifetime favorites, over 35 years of gaming.

Over 35 years of gaming as well, but I don't think Witcher 3 deserves the top spot, not by a long shot. There are some great stuff in it, but as an open world it fails on so many accounts, and even in RPG genre there are at least half a dozen titles better then it (as open-world games).

I'm not surprised though, a lot of mainstream gamers played it and like it, but if we're being honest, game would be better if it sticked to TW2 formula instead of going open-world.

HoloDust said:
VAMatt said:

Over 35 years of gaming as well, but I don't think Witcher 3 deserves the top spot, not by a long shot. There are some great stuff in it, but as an open world it fails on so many accounts, and even in RPG genre there are at least half a dozen titles better then it (as open-world games).

I'm not surprised though, a lot of mainstream gamers played it and like it, but if we're being honest, game would be better if it sticked to TW2 formula instead of going open-world.

I will say that it probably benefitted quite a bit from the recency effect.  And, I agree that it is not the greatest game ever.  But, among modern open world games, I think it was the least buggy*, by a mile.  That factored heavily into my ranking it first.  It also had a ton of content.  I'd say it was equal to two average open world games in that sense.  This also factored heavily into my ranking.  

*There was an early patch that resulted in some bugs.  But, those were fairly promptly patched out.  At launch it was in great shape, and it was in great shape when I last played it a few months ago, and pretty much its whole life, aside from a week or two.