By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz's top five open world games - Results are in! Detailed results inside

MTZehvor said:
Azuren said:

I strongly disagree.

...care to elaborate why, or are you content to merely voice dissent?

I believe Metroidvania to be a form of open world; it's just an open world side stroller. 

And considering this is a 3D Metroidvania... 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
Platina said:
I actually haven't played too many Open World games

1. The Wind Waker (if this counts?)
2. Xenoblade X
3. Minecraft

You need to vote for five games for it to count.

I thought rule 1 says you can pick up to 5.. but then rule 2 says you need 5

I haven't played many so ignore it then

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Azuren said:
MTZehvor said:

...care to elaborate why, or are you content to merely voice dissent?

I believe Metroidvania to be a form of open world; it's just an open world side stroller. 

...that's...not really what Metroidvania is. Metroidvania is a type of game wherein the player is initially locked in a small part of the world, and then by acquiring new items/defeating bosses/fulfilling some other kind of objective, they unlock new portions of the world to explore. Usually, there's an element of backtracking involved, where the player is teased with part of the world they cannot access yet, later given the ability to return there, and then they must move back through previously crossed terrain to reach there.

Perhaps the most important part of that whole definition is the "wherein the player is initially locked in a small part of the world." Open world games, are, well, open world. Almost the entire world is open to the player from the get go. This isn't the case in Dark Souls; especially Dark Souls 1, where the player is initially restricted to a relatively linear path through the Undead Burg, Undead Parish, and Darkroot Garden before the game begins to open up some.

1. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2. The Witcher 3
3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. GTA V
5. Fallout 4

1. Gothic
2. Gothic 2
3. Gothic 3
4. Might & Magic VI
5. Might & Magic VII

Fallout 1 and 2 are open worlds as well, and would be number 1 and 2 for me, but they are hub based, so not open world in modern "(mostly) seamless world" sense.

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Azuren said:

...that's...not really what Metroidvania is. Metroidvania is a type of game wherein the player is initially locked in a small part of the world, and then by acquiring new items/defeating bosses/fulfilling some other kind of objective, they unlock new portions of the world to explore. Usually, there's an element of backtracking involved, where the player is teased with part of the world they cannot access yet, later given the ability to return there, and then they must move back through previously crossed terrain to reach there.

Perhaps the most important part of that whole definition is the "wherein the player is initially locked in a small part of the world." Open world games, are, well, open world. Almost the entire world is open to the player from the get go. This isn't the case in Dark Souls; especially Dark Souls 1, where the player is initially restricted to a relatively linear path through the Undead Burg, Undead Parish, and Darkroot Garden before the game begins to open up some.

Oh goodness, surprise; normal Open World games do that sometimes as well. Case in point, inFAMOUS, where certain abilities are needed to move to different islands of the same massive open world.

And enough people seem to agree that it is open world for it to not only get a lot of votes, but to also put Bloodborne in the top ten.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
MTZehvor said:

Oh goodness, surprise; normal Open World games do that sometimes as well. Case in point, inFAMOUS, where certain abilities are needed to move to different islands of the same massive open world.

And enough people seem to agree that it is open world for it to not only get a lot of votes, but to also put Bloodborne in the top ten.

I won't deny that open world games sometimes make use of similar mechanics, but the initial world that you are given access to is far larger, and, on top of that, it is actually a fully fleshed out open world. Dark Souls isn't even really an open world by the end of the game; it's more of a collection of envrionments strung together. To put it another way, Dark Souls has a bunch of miniature environments that are connected, usually by linear passages, as opposed to one cohesive world.

And, uh, three people agree, I guess. Not sure I'd be pointing to three others voting for it as a sign of success, especially given that Sexy Beach Premium Resort, which is more of a dating sim than anything else, is on the list as well.

1. The Witcher 3
2. Elder Scrolls Oblivion
3. Infamous Second Son
4. Shadow of Mordor
5. GTA V

1. Might and Magic VII
2. Might and Magic VI
3. The Witcher 3
4. Fallout 3
5. Fallout New Vegas

MTZehvor said:
Azuren said:

I won't deny that open world games sometimes make use of similar mechanics, but the initial world that you are given access to is far larger, and, on top of that, it is actually a fully fleshed out open world. Dark Souls isn't even really an open world by the end of the game; it's more of a collection of envrionments strung together. To put it another way, Dark Souls has a bunch of miniature environments that are connected, usually by linear passages, as opposed to one cohesive world.

And, uh, three people agree, I guess. Not sure I'd be pointing to three others voting for it as a sign of success, especially given that Sexy Beach Premium Resort, which is more of a dating sim than anything else, is on the list as well.

Dark Souls does allow exploration after the initial grind. There are many games that lock part of the world like all the GTA games before GTA V and Infamous games, both series are considered open world.

Sexy Beach Premium Resort is a game I know nothing about but if its been voted for, I assume it is an open world game. Same with the Gothic games.