By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz's top five open world games - Results are in! Detailed results inside

MTZehvor said:
Azuren said:

Oh goodness, surprise; normal Open World games do that sometimes as well. Case in point, inFAMOUS, where certain abilities are needed to move to different islands of the same massive open world.

And enough people seem to agree that it is open world for it to not only get a lot of votes, but to also put Bloodborne in the top ten.

I won't deny that open world games sometimes make use of similar mechanics, but the initial world that you are given access to is far larger, and, on top of that, it is actually a fully fleshed out open world. Dark Souls isn't even really an open world by the end of the game; it's more of a collection of envrionments strung together. To put it another way, Dark Souls has a bunch of miniature environments that are connected, usually by linear passages, as opposed to one cohesive world.

And, uh, three people agree, I guess. Not sure I'd be pointing to three others voting for it as a sign of success, especially given that Sexy Beach Premium Resort, which is more of a dating sim than anything else, is on the list as well.

Thread owner disagrees, as do others. 

Your personal definition aside, it's six people. And Bloodborne is currently in the top ten. But this has gone on long enough; it's derailing the thread into a definition argument. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
MTZehvor said:

I won't deny that open world games sometimes make use of similar mechanics, but the initial world that you are given access to is far larger, and, on top of that, it is actually a fully fleshed out open world. Dark Souls isn't even really an open world by the end of the game; it's more of a collection of envrionments strung together. To put it another way, Dark Souls has a bunch of miniature environments that are connected, usually by linear passages, as opposed to one cohesive world.

And, uh, three people agree, I guess. Not sure I'd be pointing to three others voting for it as a sign of success, especially given that Sexy Beach Premium Resort, which is more of a dating sim than anything else, is on the list as well.

Dark Souls does allow exploration after the initial grind. There are many games that lock part of the world like all the GTA games before GTA V and Infamous games, both series are considered open world.

Sexy Beach Premium Resort is a game I know nothing about but if its been voted for, I assume it is an open world game. Same with the Gothic games.

As someone who has played every single Dark Souls game, I'm aware of the fact that Dark Souls allows exploration. Point is that allowing for exploration does not simply make a game open world. You can, for example, explore the world in Ocarina of Time to your hearts' content, but very few people, if any, consider it an open world game.

What separates an open world game from a game that simply allows exploration is how interconnected the world is. For example, let's take Dark Souls 2 and Just Cause 3. Choose any area in the game in Dark Souls 2, and the number of methods to get there outside of warping will be limited. Let's use No Man's Wharf from DS2 as an example, although this can really apply to just about anything. If you want to get to No Man's Wharf, you have to pass through either the elevator from Heide's Tower of Flame, or ride the boat in from the Lost Bastille. That's it. Those are the only two entrance points. It's a sectioned off area, and there is no other way to get in outside. Just about every area in the Dark Souls series fits inside these guidelines; a very limited number of entrance and exit points. 

Now take something like Citate Di Ravello from Just Cause. You can walk into the city from any direction, you can hookshot in, you can fly in if you find a vehicle, if you can drive in if you have a car. There aren't any strict entrance or exit points that you have to use if you want to enter the city. This is applicable for just about every single area in the entire game. Yes, some parts of the world are initially locked off, but the world itself is actually, well, a world, rather than a bunch of sectioned off areas with interconnecting passages (which isn't meant as a negative; I've thoroughly enjoyed the Souls' series). That's the difference between a standard exploration game and an open world game.

Perhaps more to the point, go look up just any gaming website's list of best open world games. You won't find Dark Souls, or Metroid, or Castlevania, or Zelda on there, despite games like Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Symphony of the Night, and Ocarina of Time constantly being praised as some of the greatest games of all time. And that's not because the people making the open world lists just don't like those games as much, it's because the vast majority of the gaming press doesn't consider titles like Metroid or Dark Souls to be open world.

And, uh, no, Sexy Premium Beach Resort is most definitely not an open world game, even by the very loosest definition of the term. Truth be told, I'm not really sure what it is. Here's some example gameplay to give you an idea.

MTZehvor said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Dark Souls does allow exploration after the initial grind. There are many games that lock part of the world like all the GTA games before GTA V and Infamous games, both series are considered open world.

Sexy Beach Premium Resort is a game I know nothing about but if its been voted for, I assume it is an open world game. Same with the Gothic games.

As someone who has played every single Dark Souls game, I'm aware of the fact that Dark Souls allows exploration. Point is that allowing for exploration does not simply make a game open world. You can, for example, explore the world in Ocarina of Time to your hearts' content, but very few people, if any, consider it an open world game.

What separates an open world game from a game that simply allows exploration is how interconnected the world is. For example, let's take Dark Souls 2 and Just Cause 3. Choose any area in the game in Dark Souls 2, and the number of methods to get there outside of warping will be limited. Let's use No Man's Wharf from DS2 as an example, although this can really apply to just about anything. If you want to get to No Man's Wharf, you have to pass through either the elevator from Heide's Tower of Flame, or ride the boat in from the Lost Bastille. That's it. Those are the only two entrance points. It's a sectioned off area, and there is no other way to get in outside. Just about every area in the Dark Souls series fits inside these guidelines; a very limited number of entrance and exit points. 

Now take something like Citate Di Ravello from Just Cause. You can walk into the city from any direction, you can hookshot in, you can fly in if you find a vehicle, if you can drive in if you have a car. There aren't any strict entrance or exit points that you have to use if you want to enter the city. This is applicable for just about every single area in the entire game. Yes, some parts of the world are initially locked off, but the world itself is actually, well, a world, rather than a bunch of sectioned off areas with interconnecting passages (which isn't meant as a negative; I've thoroughly enjoyed the Souls' series). That's the difference between a standard exploration game and an open world game.

Perhaps more to the point, go look up just any gaming website's list of best open world games. You won't find Dark Souls, or Metroid, or Castlevania, or Zelda on there, despite games like Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Symphony of the Night, and Ocarina of Time constantly being praised as some of the greatest games of all time. And that's not because the people making the open world lists just don't like those games as much, it's because the vast majority of the gaming press doesn't consider titles like Metroid or Dark Souls to be open world.

And, uh, no, Sexy Premium Beach Resort is most definitely not an open world game, even by the very loosest definition of the term. Truth be told, I'm not really sure what it is. Here's some example gameplay to give you an idea.

You're still outnumbered, and the OP disagrees with you. Enough. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
MTZehvor said:

You're still outnumbered, and the OP disagrees with you. Enough. 

If the OP reads my arguments and still wishes to count them regardless, then that's fine. With that said, I'm not buying the inane argument that being in the minority somehow means a point isn't worth debating. 

1. Witcher 3
2. Batman: Arkham City
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Infamous Second Son
5. Infamous 2

Around the Network

1. Mabinogi (PC)
2. Sims 3
3. Animal Crossing New Leaf
4. Pokemon (Diamond)
5. Thrillville (not sure about this one)

Tell me if there are any games that I posted that aren't open world.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

1. Starbound
2. Fallout : New Vegas
3. Terraria
4. Elderscroll IV : Oblivion
5. Minecraft

I love Yakuza. Currently playing 5. As usual, I find making picks like this difficult. Great games get shut out. GTA IV deserves to be in the top 50....
1 Yakuza 5
2 inFamous 2
3. Gun
4 GTA V
5 GTA IV

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Jranation said:
1. Mabinogi (PC)
2. Sims 3
4. Pokemon (Diamond)

Are these open world games? Or is the definition being stretched here? No offense. I was contemplating whether or not Yakuza was truly open world, and added it when I saw it was already on the list.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Jranation said:
1. Mabinogi (PC)
2. Sims 3
4. Pokemon (Diamond)

Are these open world games? Or is the definition being stretched here? No offense. I was contemplating whether or not Yakuza was truly open world, and added it when I saw it was already on the list.

It should be, neither game restricts you from exploring or interacting in given context, nor cares if you don't progress. Pokemon is more restrictive in that you can't access some locations until you clear the given objective, but that applies to many other open world game as well.