By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will sales of the Scorpio take a hit?

It's over a year away ... For goodness sake.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Soundwave said:
I think it will do well, I think it will be similar to how the XBox started to do in 2003/2004, even though the PS2 had a big lead, if you were paying attention you started to notice in the West that the XBox brand was gaining momentum and starting to sell on par even outsell the PS2 during certain months and also a lot of the top 10 software sold was on the XBox.

This momentum carried over to the XBox 360.

I think Scorpio will be similar, as this gen goes on, people will notice that it has the best multiplatform games, and if MS is smart they will invest money in making a few console exclusives that are the best looking games.

In 2003, the PS2 more than doubled the Xbox sales in the US. In fact, the Gamecube outsold the Xbox in 2003. It came close in 2004 though - PS2 still outsold it by 17%. In 2005, PS2 more than doubled the Xbox sales again.

The Xbox360 only gained marketshare because it had a 1 year headstart and much cheaper than the PS3. The PS3 still outsold it. The Scorpio will have neither the first move advantage nor the price advantage.

Well yes, the XBox being outsold in 2005 makes sense because MS was prepping for the XBox 360. But clearly they had built momentum and it had started to pay dividends by 2004 where it had begun to sell on par with the PS2 and by then even I started noticed kids starting to say "XBox" more than "Playstation" as their defacto gaming terminology. 

I think Scorpio will do something similar for MS, it will get them moving in the right direction by getting back 3rd party multiplatform superiority. This is vital to the XBox brand. 

In the US, the XBox was becoming the no.1 gaming brand, no question about it (globally is a different story) until MS made missteps with the XBox One launch.

Intrinsic said:
Pemalite said:

Agreed.
But it won't be rough because of hardware announces...
Outside of Halo Wars 2, I'm interested in nothing in next years lineup, that might change as we enter into 2017 though.

Going to agree, will likely be Jaguar, Puma or Puma+. It's small, it's cheap, it's low power allowing for more transisters to be spent on the GPU.
It's not like people are using the CPU's Gflop numbers in their comparisons anyway, only the GPU. ;)

I didnt want to say anything about the sparse lineup for next year. Thats why i just focused on hardware. They do have sea of thieves and scaleboind though, and of course Forza. 

And the Zen thing isnt even about how relevant it is. It's that they can't even if they wanted to. AMD announced or said something along the lines of not taking custom orders for Zen till 2018. So not a chance it's even going to find its way in a custom APU next year. 

Zen hadn't taped out when The Playstation 4 Pro and Scorpio entered into the design phase. I always stated it was likely off the table even if I had hope for a console manufacturer to take CPU performance seriously for once.

Sea of Thieves and Scalebound, whilst I will likely buy it, I doubt I'm going to be into those games to any great extent.
Forza being a racing car game... I would rather watch paint dry. lol

Halo Wars 2 is the only interesting title for me on the Xbox One. And I have it on Pre-order.
Hopefully Microsoft can foster a community around that game instead of having it implode like with the original Halo Wars, it really was one of the best Console RTS games ever though and they didn't take advantage of that fact and push it in eSports/Competitive scenes.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

According to this site power is everything or at least that's all we have been hearing about PS4 non-stop... so it should sell gang busters. The amount of people changing stories is just great.

I do think MS should consider launching earlier in the year. July/August would allow them to launch next to the new Madden NFL, which is a title important to the XBox ecosystem and its cut down the waiting time.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:
According to this site power is everything or at least that's all we have been hearing about PS4 non-stop... so it should sell gang busters. The amount of people changing stories is just great.

Can you point out who said that?

Lawlight said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Can you point out who said that?

Are you serious or you just haven't been to the site since the new generation of consoles has launched? hmmmm all the threads about 1080p etc.etc. etc. . come to mind and all the same people. It's clear as day. Ok I'm going back to ignoring the site. However I will be eating popcorn watching all the flip flop crews.

Maybe? There are certainly people who are willing to pay the extra money for the additional power.

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

In 2003, the PS2 more than doubled the Xbox sales in the US. In fact, the Gamecube outsold the Xbox in 2003. It came close in 2004 though - PS2 still outsold it by 17%. In 2005, PS2 more than doubled the Xbox sales again.

The Xbox360 only gained marketshare because it had a 1 year headstart and much cheaper than the PS3. The PS3 still outsold it. The Scorpio will have neither the first move advantage nor the price advantage.

Well yes, the XBox being outsold in 2005 makes sense because MS was prepping for the XBox 360. But clearly they had built momentum and it had started to pay dividends by 2004 where it had begun to sell on par with the PS2 and by then even I started noticed kids starting to say "XBox" more than "Playstation" as their defacto gaming terminology. 

I think Scorpio will do something similar for MS, it will get them moving in the right direction by getting back 3rd party multiplatform superiority. This is vital to the XBox brand. 

In the US, the XBox was becoming the no.1 gaming brand, no question about it (globally is a different story) until MS made missteps with the XBox One launch.

The Xbox sales dropped before the 360 was announced. Keep in mind that the PS2 outsold the 360 in 2005 and 2006. Just looking at the trend it's clear that 2004 was a year where the Xbox overperformed. You're talking about the Xbox momentum being halted by the Xbox One launch but you're forgeting that the only reason the 360 was on top in the US was because of Sony's missteps. Missteps which MS are committing again - a year later and, most likely, more expensive.

Well I know a few people (including myself) who are waiting for the scorpio, or atleast the true showing of it, its a lot easier waiting when you can already play all the games without owning a PS4pro since everyone I know has the original PS4 anyway.

Twitter @CyberMalistix