By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

Hynad said:
Pemalite said:

Uh.
The point of 4k Checkerboard rendering was to save on processing time.
It's going to be roughly equivalent to 1600P in terms of how demanding it is and that is roughly inline with how capable (Or not capable depending on your perspective) the PS4 Pro's GPU is.
But it will also give you better results on a 4k screen than what 1600P will offer due to less funky-dory scaling.

Something to keep in mind is that resolution doesn't end at 4k on the PC either, you can go higher than that. ;)

When you start talking 4k and higher resolutions with all the graphical bells and whistles, the CPU does tend to become irrellevent, you are always GPU bound.

Not always the case when it comes to framerate.

In such a case you are likely not to be entirely GPU limited.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Hynad said:

Your graph doesn't tell the whole story.

What CPU is paired with those GPU? 

The argument isnt the cost of the PC though... The Argument is that a top of the line PC isn't required to run at max settings. Tomb Raider isn't exactly a CPU bound game either. You can pair up an i3 and bam.

A GPU would bottleneck way before a CPU ever will for this game. (At least for high resolutions anyway)

Again, Ps4Pro > PC as far as bang for buck goes.

This is running the game at 1080p, at 4K it would be a different story with an i3. A sixth gen i5 is good enough for it though it adds a lot to the cost of a PC.

Pemalite said:
GOWTLOZ said:

This is interesting. They have scaled back some effects on PS4 Pro, but ROTTR is one of the PC games to take advantage of powerful rigs. There wouldn't be so much difference in most games.

I've played the PC version already but damn this looks amazing, I'll play it again when I upgrade my PC xD

Something to keep in mind is that resolution doesn't end at 4k on the PC either, you can go higher than that. ;)

I know but I haven't even played a game at 4K yet xD

I have a mid range PC with GTX 960 and an i5-4570 currently though I plan to upgrade it soon.

GOWTLOZ said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The argument isnt the cost of the PC though... The Argument is that a top of the line PC isn't required to run at max settings. Tomb Raider isn't exactly a CPU bound game either. You can pair up an i3 and bam.

A GPU would bottleneck way before a CPU ever will for this game. (At least for high resolutions anyway)

Again, Ps4Pro > PC as far as bang for buck goes.

This is running the game at 1080p, at 4K it would be a different story with an i3. A sixth gen i5 is good enough for it though it adds a lot to the cost of a PC.

Resolution doesn't affect CPU performance to a noticable degree (none at all at most times)... Hence why no one benchmarks CPUs at 4k because the GPU will bottleneck virtually all of them. Cause at most, it will increase the FoV and have slightly more objects in the screen but not so much that it will affect the framerate and performance to a care worthy amount otherwise we would have endless benchmarks about it. There are of course, exceptions to every rule but Tomb Raider is not one of them. Google it

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Slimebeast said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You do know that a) The Ps4 Pro is an underclocked 480 and b) The 480 struggles to beat the gtx 970 (except for a couple of games) which is a 2 year old GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748?vs=1743

And you do realize that the Ps4 pro a) upscales to 4k, not native b) Uses ps4's settings which is around medium-high depending on the game? c) Can't run at 60 fps even at 1080p for games that ran at 30fps previously?

So I am not sure why would any PC gamer choose a ps4 Pro for the "best visual" or "best performance" experience since it has neither and can't even beat GPU's that are 2 years old...

I know all that and nothing of that goes against anything I said.

Fact is still that GPU tech is advancing slowly and a midrange GPU is relatively fast these days.

Fact is that the PS4 Pro will have the same performance or better than 90-95% of PC gamers out there.

Mr House's argument is that he wants to deflect those guys who think they will get better performance out of a PC, but 90-95% won't. And the other 5-10% will get double performance at most (if they're willing to spend 500 Euro and up for the GPU alone).

So the Ps4 Pro is very much a choice when it comes to raw performance.

You're way under too! Even if you just look at people who game on Steam, it's still more 95% easily. PS4 and X1 are already better than 95% of PCs. The upgraded versions have a few million to really look up to. Gaming forums are very insular and people forget how small of a market segment they represent.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

zero129 said:
eva01beserk said:

1. No you cant. Unless you want to go with used parts and thats still hard unles you dont count windows mouse keybord monitor like pc fans like to exclude.

2. Leave it to an enthusiast to spend $800+ on a rig to then buy $5 games on steam sales that have long since left peoples interest. I highly doubt that people build expensive machines to play old games, if you wwant high graphics and efects you will want to see them on the best and newest titles. And on consoles you dont pay just for online, you know I get 6 free games a month for having ps+, thats 72 free games a year for $60, I dont even play online.

3. Lasted 3 years. You get a competive pc and you cant garanty it will still play the new games at the desired resolution and frames. You cant even garanty the mother board will suport the new chips and might just have to get  whole new pc that will cost you more than a console. This releases just showed that, at least for amd, no clue about nvidia.

4. what is subjective is if you like thouse games or not, but the amount of quality exclusives is higher on consoles.

1. Yes you can with no used parts. But hey its still 100 more then the PS4pro right?.

2. Leave it to a person to talk about spending $5 on old steam games to then go on and brag about spending $60 for 72 "Old" PS+ games for the year .

3. 3 years with rumors of the PS5 coming in two years. Point is consoles now have upgrades. Hell this current build of my PC lasted more then 3 years and when i did upgrade its GPU it costed me less then its going to cost PS4 owners to upgrade to the PS4Pro. And to think you guys will maybe have to do it again in only two years time with the PS5!.

4. No It is subjective. as to your 2nd part i can easy pull a list of more higher rated PC exclusives then the PS4 has. Lets not try to twist this into a PC vs the "Whole" console world. You where talking about the PS4 originally when you made your post that i replyed to so lets keep it to that. I mean we dont want to have to go into the whole "PC has emulation" "Can play all Sony games from PSP,PS1,PS2,PS3" "will get all Ms big exclusives" etc etc.

Don't bother, look at this page & see how I ended the "conversation" with this fellow:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=220255&page=21#8

It's like debating a Fox News reporter, time consuming & he won't change his stance, everytime you show he's wrong with facts he jumps on another matter or distorts the facts to his own conveniance. It's a bottomless pit & that's his tactic, you're wasting time for nothing, we can't all agree, let him be happy this way... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

You're way under too! Even if you just look at people who game on Steam, it's still more 95% easily. PS4 and X1 are already better than 95% of PCs. The upgraded versions have a few million to really look up to. Gaming forums are very insular and people forget how small of a market segment they represent.

By my estimate 25% of the Steam users (around 45 million Steam gamers) have hardware which can keep up with the PS4 and XB1:

And there are a lot more powerful gaming PCs (which can keep up or are better than a PS4 Pro) in use right now than there are sold PS4 Pros right now. ;)

CGI-Quality said:
GOWTLOZ said:

This is interesting. They have scaled back some effects on PS4 Pro, but ROTTR is one of the PC games to take advantage of powerful rigs. There wouldn't be so much difference in most games.

I've played the PC version already but damn this looks amazing, I'll play it again when I upgrade my PC xD

It does look amazing. I could fill this place will lots of pics

A bit off topic but since you revel in these things, off the top of your head what are your top 3 or top 5 favorite best grafix on PC (games)?

Tonb Rader is up there and Metro Last Light but who else?

CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:

A bit off topic but since you revel in these things, off the top of your head what are your top 3 or top 5 favorite best grafix on PC (games)?

Tonb Rader is up there and Metro Last Light but who else?

"Revel" in these things"

Anyway, Top 3-5?

#1 Star Wars Battlefront
2. Quantum Break
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider
4. Metro: Last Light
5. Battlefield: Hardline

Revel in graphics, yes? Did that grammatically come off wrong? It was the first time I tried to use that word in a sentence.

Oh yeah, the clear number one until Battlefield WW1 is released, Star Wars: Battlefront! Photorealistic I thought I was in that universe for real bla bla bla... no I'm not going there again.

Now the first new Tomb Raider u hadnt on your list but u do think it comes quite close to the Rise of Tomb Raider, yhes?

Of course it was. I would like to see someone build a PC from scratch with $400 that can touch the Pro?

Conina said:
outlawauron said:

By my estimate 25% of the Steam users (around 45 million Steam gamers) have hardware which can keep up with the PS4 and XB1:

And there are a lot more powerful gaming PCs (which can keep up or are better than a PS4 Pro) in use right now than there are sold PS4 Pros right now. ;)

Directly comparing PC graphics card to console GPU isn't an honest comparison and I know you realize that with your use of the word comparable.

It is rather incredible to see how much a nice card like GTX 970 has been adopted in 18 months though.

Do you have a link to the full report that included other information aside from video card (and I have one of the cards in that list, games run worse on it than PS4 without question....)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.