By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

eva01beserk said:
Dgc1808 said:
Problem is PCs are modular and a modular console would be a mess. Also, this thing will be outclassed by $500 machines in a year tops. Good effort and price for performance is pretty good for the PS4Pro right now.

If the PS5 releases in 3 years with full PS4 BC (this was the reason for going x86 right?) and the PS5Pro 3 years later and so on, I could see them keeping up with mid-tier PCs well enough to entice some PC gamers. I hope they never chase after the high-end and enthusiast crowd because we would just see costs skyrocket. They need to stay mass-market and focus on differentiating themselves via exclusives.

Is that really a positive point towards pc? Its still more expensive and will have to wait a whole year.

I think there is a part of pc gamers that are into it because of what it can offer and what price. What we saw from last gen cuz it laste so long was that by the 5th and 6th year into the gen, prey much any pc could beat a console for a good price. with no end in sight for the gen. this time consoles had a mid gen refresh right when the new cards are out and the originals where about to get outclased pretty cheaply. If they can last another 3-4 years for $400 than thats good for almost 4k. considering that most gamers still play on 1080p on pc's. and yes, many cry about 60fps, but that is in no way the standart and the majority of gamers seem to be fine with it and crave pixel count over framerate, unless of course we are talking about dips in the low 20' or high teens.

Yes. It means that the High-End/Enthusiast crowd, the people that primarily play on PC because of the power difference will always be out of reach. These people will pay $800+ on the first pc and pay $400+ every 3-5 years to upgrade and stay well ahead of sony's releases. The fact that this system will be outclassed by $500 machines in the not too distant future means that there's no hope when it comes to pulling in the people that care the most about visuals and performance. On the PC environment can cater to them. PS4Pro gives sony a shot at pc gamers that are comfortable with mid to low tier pcs but that's it really. That's maybe the majority but it's definitely not everyone. Things only get harder for Sony when we bring game libraries into the discussion. 

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
zero129 said:
naruball said:

You can't speak for every PC gamer, mate. Generalizations are bad, especially when you can't back them up with facts. Sony's teams have already done enough research to know that there is a market for ps4pro that includes people who buy a console and are not happy after a few years and consider getting a pc. The minority that buys the cutting edge technology obviously doesn't care about that. Millions of others potentially do.

I think you guys are picking him up wrong.

What his saying is the is other reasons people get pc's then "just graphics", Otherwise we wouldnt have Low/Mid/High/Ultra range systems.

But people that really want to game on a PC will get a PC anyways. I believe this is what his saying.

For instance a person might choose a 500 euro PC over a PS4Pro since they might want proper mod support. Maybe they like Emulation?.

Maybe they want to do some video editing or music editing?, maybe they want to try out some of the PC exclusive games such as WoW, Dota, Proper Minecraft etc.

So you see i dont think he is saying that a PC user "wouldnt" buy a console. Just that if someone plans on really buying a PC PS4Pro is not really going to change that.

"PC gamers will always opt for a PC for a number of reasons"

My problem is with this statement. Yes, some will only game on PC for the reasons that you just mentioned, but not all of them. You can't speak for every single person who games on pc. For some people it is simple as "I'll play exclusives on my console and multiplats on pc, as with 500 pounds, which I am willing to spend, I can get a better experience on pc". For those people, ps4pro is a good option. For others who want mods and everything else, obviously not. Sony is just giving them one less reason to switch to pc. 

zero129 said:
naruball said:

My problem is with this statement. Yes, some will only game on PC for the reasons that you just mentioned, but not all of them. You can't speak for every single person who games on pc. For some people it is simple as "I'll play exclusives on my console and multiplats on pc, as with 500 pounds, which I am willing to spend, I can get a better experience on pc". For those people, ps4pro is a good option. For others who want mods and everything else, obviously not. Sony is just giving them one less reason to switch to pc. 

Thats where your making the mistake with what both me and him are saying. No one is saying about "Only" gaming on a PC. No one is saying that a PC user "Wont" also pick up a console (I plan on picking up the PS4Pro myself). We are not talking about people who already own a PC here but ones who plan on getting one. But this also isnt me saying that person also doesnt own or wouldnt get a console too.

Neiether did I say that. I mean what gave you that impression is beyond me.

"I'll play exclusives on my console and multiplats on pc, as with 500 pounds, which I am willing to spend, I can get a better experience on pc". Clearly I'm talking about people who game on ps4 and may also game on PC.

Chazore said:
ICStats said:

No, that's not what I believe.  Nobody said "most" of anything.  Maybe a few % difference in sales.

Honest question, not attacking you or anything, but I feel like you interpret things in extremes and flip-flop your position.  Do you happen to be bi-polar?

You aren't attacking me and I don't feel attacked. What I feel is a non definite answer being given. See when I saw your previous exchange with the other user you had quoted, it made me beg the question of whether or not that price and power was more than enough to stand toe to toe with something that costed more and gave that bit more. Most conversations like that end up with one of two answers:

1) Paying more and getting more wins out

2)Emulating that power but costing less wins out over paying more.

I've seen this popping up now and then over the years and we've never gotten that definitive final answer. What is better objectively?, paying more and getting more or paying less but emulating near that level of power?. If the answer were to be #2 then we can skip straight to the next subject that has gone on since the the old days of gaming, "why would you want to build a PC?". That's all I'm getting at here, that's all I want to know. I want to know from the other side of the spectrum as to why paying more for more power isn't as good as emulating that power.

With this topic I'm wanting to play devil's advocate. I want to know how and why cheap power emulation is supposed to beat out raw power for a price (talking at every turn here) and supposedelyturn the tide, turn that win into a loss for the other side so to speak. 

You've shown us numbers split now into 3 groups, with one user has already done as I wanted and noted that the PS4P is apparently going to take away a good chunk of the highest percentage of users, users that could buy the lower end cards. He even pointed out that those who were waiting for price reductions were just as likely to jump to the Pro, again going by your numbers and another users talk of waiting for reduced price GPU's. Perm has already pointed out at the numbers being cherry picked, but I'd still like to know if that larger number were to definitely be taken away from that market rather than "maybe", we've had plenty of discussion leading up to this point into what a PC and Pro can do, we may as well get to the "I think" part.

Personally I don't see a massive change happening, not in a way that would cripple the platform to a point where people could easily sum it up as another "dark age". I see the Pro selling well, the Scorpio to a fair degree (price point will make or break it), the NX, god knows but I'm not seeing it pulling a Wii, that system was lightning in a bottle. Apart from that I see things chugging along as they do, with people buying the Pro, scorp, NX and some opting for new GPU's both old and new (people will buy second hand GPU's, I've even given mine to friends over the years as they have to me).

Apart from all that, I want to know what you think. You have the numbers, you have the charts, the history and the current information before you. What do you think will happen to the PC market now the Pro and Scorpio exist and why will it?.

Don't take my previous ramblings as me thinking you of a threat. I don't take you for attacking me either (unless you're like two other gents within this thread who have nothing else better to do with their "boredom").

Ok, you're asking does this data mean PS4P could massively cripple PC sales.  I don't think so at all, I think like you say Pro will sell well, it will help PS4 sustain or maybe even increase it's sales a few million units, but won't be too noticeable change in the overall PC market.

My 8th gen collection

zero129 said:
naruball said:

Thats where your making the mistake with what both me and him are saying. No one is saying about "Only" gaming on a PC. No one is saying that a PC user "Wont" also pick up a console (I plan on picking up the PS4Pro myself). We are not talking about people who already own a PC here but ones who plan on getting one. But this also isnt me saying that person also doesnt own or wouldnt get a console too.

Glad someone understood what I meant.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
naruball said:

Neiether did I say that. I mean what gave you that impression is beyond me.

"I'll play exclusives on my console and multiplats on pc, as with 500 pounds, which I am willing to spend, I can get a better experience on pc". Clearly I'm talking about people who game on ps4 and may also game on PC.

Ok, first i missed the part in your other post "Sony is just giving one less reason to switch to pc", No they are not. Like i said if a person already owns a console and was planning on getting a PC the is still more chance they will go for that PC then a PS4Pro since graphics are most likely not the only thing that made them want a PC in the first place. And if this is the only reason they wanted a PC in the first place they are then more likely to wait for the XB1Scorpio since thats going to be even more powerful. So if its only graphics they care about why would they choose a Ps4Pro over the Xb1s or a more powerful PC?.

Clearly "if" they planned on getting a PC in the first place its not Sonys exclusives, so the isnt much point in saying thats the reason why. Otherwise we wouldnt have this Sony exec saying he wants to stop gamers upgraing to PC midgen.

Sony has put them selfs in a funny place with the PS4P, imo i think MS has put themselfs in a better position for a non PC gamer depending on the price.

However as a PC Gamer such as myself i wish it was Sony that was releasing next year and launching the more powerful console.

But if i wasnt already a PC gamer i know what console id be holding out for.

You're still missing the point, but sure. Let's agree to disagree.

zero129 said:

Nope i didnt miss your point and i dont really mean this in a bad way. Its just you never had one to begain with. The whole bases of your post was that we where saying no one would want a PS4P if they owned a PC. This was not what we where saying like what was explained to you.

But then you stated how the PS4Pro is to take away sales from the PC. Something i pointed out is very unlikely with the reasons i pointed out above.

If anything it has more chance of getting people that already game on a PC to buy a PS4P for its exclusives then capturing anyone who was planning on buying a PC for better 3rd party graphics.

You're both right and wrong.

I plan to get a new rig. Mine is quite old now, and usually, somewhere around mid to late console gen, I start playing on PC more and more. The announcement of 5the PS4 Pro has made me postpone the moment I get that new rig to a yet unknown date. Probably pushed by at least a year.

There are many like me. Yes, I will still get a new PC. The PS4 Pro isn't making me not buy a new rig. But it pushes the moment I get a new one further than originally planned. Because the PS4 Pro will provide me with the fidelity boost I wanted, at least in the short to medium term.

ICStats said:
kinisking said:
It's impossible for consoles to compete with PC, and that includes Scorpio and Pro. PC's are ever evolving and aren't hindered by price tags. If someone really wants something that is on par with PC, they should buy a PC.

Absolute rubbish.

To compete does not mean "can beat all PCs regardless of price".  To compete means to provide competitive value for some % of the market.

PS4 Pro clearly is competitive as you can not build a PC comparable to PS4 for $399.  Also PS4 Pro's GPU is more powerful than about 90% of GPUs on steam.  It is not only on par with average PC graphics, but beats the average PC by a lot.

To be fair you are also ignoring the inherent price advantages of the PC in multiple aspects over the console platforms.

If you want to make the comparison, try to make a thorough one.

Lawlight said:

I still don't see how MS is 1upping them with the Scorpio when it hasn't even releasing this year. Sony will just announce the PS5 a year later and the Scorpio's momentum (if any) will be stopped dead in its track. Speaking of HDR, you realise that all PS4s will be capable of that, right?

And what that last MS tweet told me is that the only real perk of the X1S is the 4k Blu-Ray player (we all know how physical Blu-Ray sales are going these days, right) and that MS is still more concerned with being an entertainment system than a gaming platform. Guess what brought the PS back on top. Being a gaming machine.

There is a very real chance the hardware might not exist for the Playstation 5 to be a worthwhile upgrade over the PS4 Pro a year after Scorpio drops, so stating that Sony will do *anything* in reaction to Scorpio is dubious at best.

Fact of the matter is, Consoles rely on PC hardware for their capabilities, they have done so for a few generations now and that means they are also tied by the PC's ever slowing cadence in technical upgrades.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

zero129 said:
naruball said:

You're still missing the point, but sure. Let's agree to disagree.

Nope i didnt miss your point and i dont really mean this in a bad way. Its just you never had one to begain with. The whole bases of your post was that we where saying no one would want a PS4P if they owned a PC. This was not what we where saying like what was explained to you.

But then you stated how the PS4Pro is to take away sales from the PC. Something i pointed out is very unlikely with the reasons i pointed out above.

If anything it has more chance of getting people that already game on a PC to buy a PS4P for its exclusives then capturing anyone who was planning on buying a PC for better 3rd party graphics.

Sure, that's the only likely explanation.

Pemalite said:
ICStats said:

Absolute rubbish.

To compete does not mean "can beat all PCs regardless of price".  To compete means to provide competitive value for some % of the market.

PS4 Pro clearly is competitive as you can not build a PC comparable to PS4 for $399.  Also PS4 Pro's GPU is more powerful than about 90% of GPUs on steam.  It is not only on par with average PC graphics, but beats the average PC by a lot.

To be fair you are also ignoring the inherent price advantages of the PC in multiple aspects over the console platforms.

If you want to make the comparison, try to make a thorough one.

I am, true.  It's not black and white, nor did I say so.  I did say "competitive value for some % of the market", not "all".

For the all-in-one package and everything you can do with a PC, the PC is miles better value.  However laptop shipments have long surpassed desktop PC shipments.  If you own a laptop then most non-gaming needs are met, and for most it means no GPU upgradability.  That diminishes price advantages that getting another PC might have.

My 8th gen collection