By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - South African cricket introduces racist quotas

fordy said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Is it because black people don't like the sport? 

I wouldn't say it's that. The West Indies has some of the most passionate players/fans in the sport.

My guess is that it stems back to South Africa's apartheid roots, and while the policy might be gone, there is still a sense of the white community having a "head start" over the majority of black dwellings.

I think the main issue is opportunity, which should be the main focus. Excellent talent can be found even in the poorest of communities, the question is, if the opportunity never arises, does this talent ever go anywhere? Quotas are merely a way of forcing the outcome without having to put the effort in to solve the cause.

Well I only really meant the black people of South Africa and like I mentioned football is dominated by black players there so it could well be that any aspiring young black athletes there would just rather play that than cricket.

But yeah investment in poorer communities should be the way to go here. Especially for young school kids and what not, get them playing more sports like cricket and not only will that encourage the development of those that like it but it will also grow the sports popularity, it's kind of hard to like a sport if you've never even played it. Giving black kids better opportunities to develop as well as encouraging more black kids in general to try out and participate in the sport would work. It would take a fair bit of time and investment, but in the long term it should be well worth it.

Around the Network

Absolute BS. Players should be chosen based on skill, not on skin colour. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

They've been doing this for a while now. Kevin Pietersen, who is one of England's best batsmen, only joined the English team because he couldn't get a spot with the SA team due to the racial quota system. Pietersen was lucky to have an English mother though, but there must be so many great players who miss out from playing completely because of this silly system.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

BraLoD said:
Imagine if something similar happened for white people on USA basketball team for example...
Oh boy, that would set the world on fire.

No, just the US...

KLXVER said:
BraLoD said:
Imagine if something similar happened for white people on USA basketball team for example...
Oh boy, that would set the world on fire.

No, just the US...

Nah, the world.
Twitter would go crazy on it, it would be reported worldwide, a whole bunch of minority rights groups would flip their tables all at the same time, it would become a huge mess, not only on the US.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
KLXVER said:

No, just the US...

Nah, the world.
Twitter would go crazy on it, it would be reported worldwide, a whole bunch of minority rights groups would flip their tables all at the same time, it would become a huge mess, not only on the US.

Yeah, because the "OscarsSoWhite" were such a huge controversy outside the US...

KLXVER said:
BraLoD said:

Nah, the world.

Yeah, because the "OscarsSoWhite" were such a huge controversy outside the US...

It reached our media here on Brazil quite fast, so yeah, even if not that big.
But that was a minor deal as nothing racist actually happened.

But if they were to put a limit to how many black guys could play on the US basketball team (which is the same as having a white quota), boy, that would be big, really big.

That gorilla deal when people were thinking the kid that fell had white parents earned some pearls on twitter that where posted and discussed here as well, with people calling it "white parenting" to mock them and the situation and them the parents where discovered to be actually black...

BraLoD said:
KLXVER said:

It reached our media here on Brazil quite fast, so yeah, even if not that big.
But that was a minor deal as nothing racist actually happened.

But if they were to put a limit to how many black guys could play on the US basketball team (which is the same as having a white quota), boy, that would be big, really big.

That gorilla deal when people were thinking the kid that fell had white parents earned some pearls on twitter that where posted and discussed here as well, with people calling it "white parenting" to mock them and the situation and them the parents where discovered to be actually black...

Theres a difference between something reaching the news and people giving their opinion on Twitter to setting the world on fire. You know just as well as me that the racial tention in the US are way worse than everywhere else. Sure most people would be against it and condemn it, but in the US it would been seen as a black vs white issue, not a human rights issue.

StarOcean said:
I've heard some people refer to this behavior as "positive racism"... which is about as dumb as calling something "positive genocide"

Kinda surprised considering the US has had affirmative action for a long time now.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

They already do this in the rugby team