By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - South African cricket introduces racist quotas

Instead of limiting and restricting, maybe you should fund youth programs that will naturally create talented black players.

Around the Network

I've heard some people refer to this behavior as "positive racism"... which is about as dumb as calling something "positive genocide"

StarOcean said:
I've heard some people refer to this behavior as "positive racism"... which is about as dumb as calling something "positive genocide"

Nobody with an IQ above 100 calls it that, at least not since the 1980s.

It's kinda funny, that Affirmative action is meant to help racial and ethnic minorities rise in the ranks of society. But in South Africa white people are the minority. Well actually Asians (including Indians) are a smaller minority. But still white people are a minority group. They just happen to dominate certain higer socioeconomic elements of society due to its very recent racist oppressive past.

I think a policy of getting more Africans into rugby and cricket is good. Instituting a strict quota perhaps is too much of the sharp end of affirmative action. More funding and promotion at the grass roots might be a better way to achieve a long term vision

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Whats next quotas for prisons?

Ka-pi96 said:
Is it because black people don't like the sport? 

I wouldn't say it's that. The West Indies has some of the most passionate players/fans in the sport.

My guess is that it stems back to South Africa's apartheid roots, and while the policy might be gone, there is still a sense of the white community having a "head start" over the majority of black dwellings.

I think the main issue is opportunity, which should be the main focus. Excellent talent can be found even in the poorest of communities, the question is, if the opportunity never arises, does this talent ever go anywhere? Quotas are merely a way of forcing the outcome without having to put the effort in to solve the cause.

Around the Network

Lol Cricket is the most popular sport in India so its not simply about Colonial past lol

Affirmative action does not work, look at the US, is a place of racial zen...no lol

Absolute BS. Players should be chosen based on skill, not on skin colour. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

They've been doing this for a while now. Kevin Pietersen, who is one of England's best batsmen, only joined the English team because he couldn't get a spot with the SA team due to the racial quota system. Pietersen was lucky to have an English mother though, but there must be so many great players who miss out from playing completely because of this silly system.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

BraLoD said:
Imagine if something similar happened for white people on USA basketball team for example...
Oh boy, that would set the world on fire.

No, just the US...

BraLoD said:
KLXVER said:

No, just the US...

Nah, the world.
Twitter would go crazy on it, it would be reported worldwide, a whole bunch of minority rights groups would flip their tables all at the same time, it would become a huge mess, not only on the US.

Yeah, because the "OscarsSoWhite" were such a huge controversy outside the US...