By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Man Faces 5 Years Jail Time For Playing Pokémon GO In Church

I like how Russia takes religion seriously, but this is too much... I'm sure there are tons and tons of people in Russia who do really bad things and go anywhere but in jail :/

not to say that if I was living in Russia, I'd probably end up in jail for the same reason :@

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

I never realised the Russians took Christianity so seriously. I always thought they were very lax with religion because of communist times which I also thought religion wasn't a big player.

But I'm completely uniformed on the subject, and obviously wrong.

I wonder if the GPS will properly track inside the prison?

I wonder will he have to get people to smuggle in candies for his pokemon up their ass in Prison?

I wonder how long will it be til the other prisoners find out why he is there and show them their Weedle collection?

How long will it be before his Chocolate Staryu evolves to a Starmie in there?

I think I'm out!

OT - This might be a clickbait article based on a tiny bit of a story but all the same if there is any truth to be had here it is fairly scary, of course when we read the story we think of a guy sitting silently in the back looking down on his phone, it could have been someone obnoxious going there for a "prank" and playing with the music up full pretending to use the AR feature to catch a Pikachu near the Pulpit during a mass. I've seen some idiots playing Pokemon and shouting idiot things at the game, I could easily see one of them thinking this would be funny.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

naruball said:
contestgamer said:

No Sympathy. Know the laws of your country. If you break them you go to jail. He made the choice to break the law and so he got the punishment he deserved. if you dont like the laws move. 

What kind of backwards attutide is this? You think it's easy for every single person to just move to another country? And you think that every single law is above criticism? What if you were arrested for getting a blow job (in your own house) because in your state it is illegal? Some laws are beyond stupid and need to be under scrutiny to change them accordingly.

Wait till your country introduces a ridiculous law that affects YOU and then feel free to move your entire family (if you have one) to a new country, get new jobs for everyone, make new friends, say goodbye to your relatives, etc.

It's a good thing most people don't think like you, as we'd be treating blacks, women, and LGBT people like garbage because it is the law, apparently.

Where did I say that you cant criticise the law? I said you cant break it. You can try to change the law, but not by breaking it. You break the law you get punished period. Once you start allowing people to subjectively judge what laws they should or shouldnt follow you've removed the point of having laws in the first place. A psychopath might think that homocide laws are stupid too.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I wonder if the GPS will properly track inside the prison?

I wonder will he have to get people to smuggle in candies for his pokemon up their ass in Prison?

I wonder how long will it be til the other prisoners find out why he is there and show them their Weedle collection?

How long will it be before his Chocolate Staryu evolves to a Starmie in there?

I think I'm out!

OT - This might be a clickbait article based on a tiny bit of a story but all the same if there is any truth to be had here it is fairly scary, of course when we read the story we think of a guy sitting silently in the back looking down on his phone, it could have been someone obnoxious going there for a "prank" and playing with the music up full pretending to use the AR feature to catch a Pikachu near the Pulpit during a mass. I've seen some idiots playing Pokemon and shouting idiot things at the game, I could easily see one of them thinking this would be funny.

Well that still wouldn't even come close to justifying it.

Could have just thrown the guy out, no need to throw him in jail.

Having seen a few derps playing it and trying to be funny by going up to elderly people in a park and shouting about squirtles no... I disagree with you and think that a few months in jail might do those people good tbh.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
contestgamer said:

No Sympathy. Know the laws of your country. If you break them you go to jail. He made the choice to break the law and so he got the punishment he deserved. if you dont like the laws move. 

He's being accused of attacks on the liberty of faith. I don't think you could expect to get accused of that by playing a game in church because I don't see how playing a game in church is an attack on the liberty of faith.

In Russia they have prospecuted a number of people under this law on really dubious grounds. He should know better. He wasnt just playing Pokemon he posted images online which is what did him in. His intent was clearly to inflame and insult. Now he's facing the consequences for being stupid and not following his nations laws.

Kerotan said:
I never realised the Russians took Christianity so seriously. I always thought they were very lax with religion because of communist times which I also thought religion wasn't a big player.

But I'm completely uniformed on the subject, and obviously wrong.

Religion was more or less banned during the communist times in the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc, then  a lot of people became very religious once communism disappeared completely from Eastern and Central Europe. The only exception is the Czech Republic, where there are actually a lot of atheists. Even in countries like Romania, Bulgaria and Poland the number of atheists is constantly growing.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

contestgamer said:
Zkuq said:

He's being accused of attacks on the liberty of faith. I don't think you could expect to get accused of that by playing a game in church because I don't see how playing a game in church is an attack on the liberty of faith.

In Russia they have prospecuted a number of people under this law on really dubious grounds. He should know better. He wasnt just playing Pokemon he posted images online which is what did him in. His intent was clearly to inflame and insult. Now he's facing the consequences for being stupid and not following his nations laws.

Practices, you mean. Seeing this as an attack is very far-fetched, and by looking at the law alone, he could hardly be judged. It's the practices arising from the (questionable) interpretations of the law that got him.

Guys, that guy was taken not for Pokemon in church. He played it there, and made video, go out, no problem.

When he was arrested he was under drugs and with pre-18 girl under drugs. The reason for the arrest was systematical provocations against orthodox religion on his blog and youtube channel (like singing prayers to Christ with swear words and so on).  And yes, we have a law against provocations on peoples race, religion etc.

I don't think he'll get a real jail tim, tbh.

Ka-pi96 said:
Sharu said:

Guys, that guy was taken not for Pokemon in church. He played it there, and made video, go out, no problem.

When he was arrested he was under drugs and with pre-18 girl under drugs. The reason for the arrest was systematical provocations against orthodox religion on his blog and youtube channel (like singing prayers to Christ with swear words and so on).  And yes, we have a law against provocations on peoples race, religion etc.

I don't think he'll get a real jail tim, tbh.

So instead of arresting him for one stupid reason you're saying they arrested him for a different stupid reason?

We have a law against provoking/insulting people because of their colour/religion/social group etc. And we have jailtime as one of the penalties on this. If you break the law you get penalized. Isn't it simple enough?