By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MCV: NX Graphics In Between A PS3 And PS4

superchunk said:
Power talk is interesting but that is not the biggest part of this article.

"Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers."

This statement pushes harder at the basic design of the NX. It indirectly supports the Eurogamer article on the formfactor and initial thoughts the average joe is going to have about the NX. To me, that is not good.

Nintendo can't let public opinion be that the NX is just a gamer phone. It needs to be seen as a console with benefits of taking gaming on the go or on your big screen. The content, controls and definitely launch advertising will make or break this console. Just as the failed advertising broke the WiiU.

This. if the mock up is anything near accurate...they dont need any comparisons to tablets or phones, thats not a comparison that'll benefit them

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
AZWification said:

I haven't played on the Vita, you got me there!

You should check it out when it plumets in price Its a perfect companion to my 3DS :D

I will keep that in mind. I know that it has a good library of JRPGs, that's always a good thing!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

I think the appeal will be you can play anything, anywhere, how you want, when you want. 

Want to play Candy Crush or Angry Birds? Have a mobile game you like but would prefer to play with physical controls? Go ahead.

Want to play Mario Kart 9? Go ahead. 

Going outside to the park, hey bring it with you, set it down on the park bench and suddenly you got yourself 3-4 people wanting to play Donkey Kong VS. or Call of Duty or NBA 2K or Mortal Kombat. 

Want to stream to your TV to play Zelda? Go ahead. 

Have a 9 hour flight and want to play Dragon Quest XI? Done. 

Who knows maybe it'll even be able to stream to nearby tablets and phones even. 

Those things are called tablets. And they've been around for a while. I dont think most people really care for buttons. I dont think this is bringing anything that new to the table IMHO

Well a vanilla NX home console is even less original. There would be five (5!) stationary consoles on the market (PS4, PS4 Neo, XB1, XB Scoprio, NX) all basically trying to do the same thing. 

There isn't a tablet on the market like this that can play console quality games. There is no single device that can plausibly function as a tablet + 3DS + Playstation 4 and do it anywhere you want. 

Last year there were about 30-35 million home consoles sold total (PS4 + XB1 + Wii U combined). For tablets that number is closer to 250 million. 

Even if Nintendo is only taking home a small number of that, it's a much larger pool to draw from. Nintendo can also undercut other tablet makers on price because they can sell their NX at/near cost because they make money on games. 

A $269.99 NX with a bleeding edge Tegra X2 with home dock included for TV play versus a $400 16GB iPad Mini? Value proposition is heavily in Nintendo's favor here. 

That's great for handheld 3ds fans but not so good for Wii U owners. Not even as powerful as 3 year older hardware and then you've the likes of the neo and the scorpio launching the same year. The days of Nintendo pushing home console gaming ended with the gamecube didn't it?

It makes sense though. They need a low price and they don't want to develop games too advanced because it gets too expensive.

If the NX can sell as a tablet, I really wouldn't worry about third party support. They'll come running once it was sells like hot cakes. The Wii's first year was driven by a few key Nintendo titles and the strength of the hardware gimmick.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
That's great for handheld 3ds fans but not so good for Wii U owners. Not even as powerful as 3 year older hardware and then you've the likes of the neo and the scorpio launching the same year. The days of Nintendo pushing home console gaming ended with the gamecube didn't it?

It makes sense though. They need a low price and they don't want to develop games too advanced because it gets too expensive.

They should just offer a SCD dock for people who are anal retentive about home performance. 

400 GFLOP portable mode (540p for PS4 tier games, 720p + 60 fps for Wii U tier games)

1 TFLOP home dock mode (900p for most games)

2+ TFLOP SCD home mode (must purchase SCD seperately)

You want the extra performance, then you should be willing to pay for it. 

Soundwave said:
Roketan said:

Tons of japanese support will not get the system anywhere worldwide. Also, people were saying the same with WiiU. That it will receive tons of third party support since it's on par with PS3 and we all know what happened. Also, the FF fanbase is on Playstation, the rest will buy the Xbone/PC version. Why anyone would wait for an inferior port (since the system will not be as powerful as PS4)? And there is no way Square Enix will develop FF16 for an inferior system that will require extra work to make it run on low hardware with PS4Neo/XBone Scorpio/PC around. Square Enix support doesn't mean anything if it comes only to ports or games like Crystal Chronicles. Same applies to KOEI who released many ports on WiiU but none of their new games.

Japan loves to play on the go, the 3DS has sold more than the PS3 and PS4 combined and then some, lets not forget that. 

If Nintendo now has a portable that can run fairly high end 3D graphics, the "FF fanbase" and a lot of other fanbases will come around IMO. 

NX will probably dominate Japan. 

As for the US, I think it'll do well enough here if Nintendo is smart and they use Android rather than making an enemey out of Android. Mobile is how today's generations of kids likes to play ... time to accept that and embrace it I think. That could give Nintendo a chance to break out in the West. 

As a parent I'd rather buy a $269.99 NX than a $400 iPad Mini especially if the NX can also double as a home console on top of all the tablet stuff. 

The Wii couldn't handle PS3 ports, that's why it had Crystal Chronicles instead of FFX ... from the sounds of it, NX while not as powerful as a PS4, can still handle direct ports, that's a pretty big difference too. 

If Western devs want to play ball or not is up to them. I'll be happy enough with all of Nintendo's games on one platform and some good Japanese games. That's more than enough to keep me busy. 

Indie devs will probably love this device as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:
hunter_alien said:

No. I think you got it wrong. The PSV was more like a 360 or PS3 power wise. The PSP was the one that had specs close to a PS2. Never the less, the detachable controler is the groundbreaking thing IMO and the one to watch out for. We already know that Nintendo can make amazing stuff on comparativly weaker hardware, so IMO the power wont be an issue. 

PSV is no where close to a PS3 power wise. It can't even run the Uncharted game that it does has (which is a large downgrade in graphics from the PS3 games) at even a native 960x540 resolution. 

i don't even know where to respond to you here...

vita was about a half gen behind ps3 released about a half gen late. 

NX (based on rumors) is about a half gen behind ps4 released about a half gen late.  it's pretty good tech for a nintendo console but not exactly revolutionary either.  vita used the marketing of "console quality on the go" and that seems to be exactly where NX's marketing is going to.

but you are also being contradictory here.  in one post you claim NX will get high quality console-esque games and in the next you bash vita's ports as being a big downgrade from its console big brother.

yes,.. vita got games like AAA games boarderlands and yes technical comprimised had to be made.  NX isn't going to be any different.  most high quality console games will skip NX (things like GTA).  those that are ported to NX will either be indies which don't require high tech or require a substantial downgrade to be down ported from ps4/xb1.   it might be the most powerful console ever released but just like what happened to vita the games will often be hated on for being dumbed down from the console version.

i get your excited.  but add in a little bit of realism too.

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:

Those things are called tablets. And they've been around for a while. I dont think most people really care for buttons. I dont think this is bringing anything that new to the table IMHO

Well a vanilla NX home console is even less original. There would be five (5!) stationary consoles on the market (PS4, PS4 Neo, XB1, XB Scoprio, NX) all basically trying to do the same thing. 

There isn't a tablet on the market like this that can play console quality games. There is no single device that can plausibly function as a tablet + 3DS + Playstation 4 and do it anywhere you want. 

Last year there were about 30-35 million home consoles sold total (PS4 + XB1 + Wii U combined). For tablets that number is closer to 250 million. 

Even if Nintendo is only taking home a small number of that, it's a much larger pool to draw from. Nintendo can also undercut other tablet makers on price because they can sell their NX at/near cost because they make money on games. 

A $269.99 NX with a bleeding edge Tegra X2 with home dock included for TV play versus a $400 16GB iPad Mini? Value proposition is heavily in Nintendo's favor here. 

ok...didnt say anything about home consoles but cool

this wont do those things either. What makes this a PS4? it wont get half of the games that system gets. The tablets right now are pretty powerful, you could play Bioshock and thats from last gen. 

It is a larger pool to draw from granted people would actually want this over the more popular brands and IMHO I dont see them wanting that. People buy expensive ipads all the time Apple has that kind of brand where that is possible. Ninty doesnt so price isnt even gonna be that big of a factor if people dont wnat it anyway. 

Value is in the eye of the consumer. your average consumer doesnt even know what a Tegra x2 is so it doesnt really matter. There are cheaper tablets and people still buy the 400 dollar ipad. 

Soundwave said:
Kerotan said:

They should just offer a SCD dock for people who are anal retentive about home performance. 

400 GFLOP portable mode (540p for PS4 tier games, 720p + 60 fps for Wii U tier games)

1 TFLOP home dock mode (900p for most games)

2+ TFLOP SCD home mode (must purchase SCD seperately)

You want the extra performance, then you should be willing to pay for it. 

It's just a shame they can't release a really ambitious home console that pushes gaming like the gamecube did for its time.  I guess that's just the way things have gone.