By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MCV: NX Graphics In Between A PS3 And PS4

You know what else is between the PS3 and PS4? The XBOne.

Maybe I'm reading way too much into the comment but, why not say between PS3 and XBOne instead? Why PS4?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
FunFan said:

Maybe I'm reading way too much into the comment but, why not say between PS3 and XBOne instead? Why PS4?

I think they mean basically "in the middle" (give or take). 

A PS3 is like 300 GFLOPS? A PS4 is 1.84 GFLOPS. In between is basically about 1 TFLOP. 

Soundwave said:
FunFan said:

I think they mean basically "in the middle" (give or take). 

A PS3 is like 300 GFLOPS? A PS4 is 1.84 GFLOPS. In between is basically about 1 TFLOP. 

It's more like 1.1 Tflops disregarding the differences in GPU architectures between both. But i get what you mean, and you're most probably right.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Soundwave said:

To be honest a setup like this wouldn't be too bad at all

NX - Portable Mode (Running on Battery Power) = 350-400 GFLOPS, can run PS4 ports at 960x540 resolution, Wii U level+ games at 720p.

NX - Home Mode (Home Dock Actively Cools Unit) = Full 700 GF- 1 TFLOP, can run PS4 ports at 720p or 900p without much fuss.

NX - Supplemental Compute Device Mode (SCD adds second Tegra X2 processor to work in unison, doubles horsepower to 1.5 TFLOP-2 TFLOP) = Can Run games at 1080P. Optional add-on.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes i read your posts with these wild predictions and my first reaction is to try and bring it back to reality. But then i picture a child's dreamy eyes, writing a letter to Santa, detailing exactly what he/she expects for xmas and I'm like... fuck it, it's ok... it's fine to have dreams :)

I'll believe it too :D

Better be a big ass battery, my 6s plus does about 2-3 hours gaming and dies.

Around the Network

This is sounding more risky with each new rumor. If it ends up weak for a home console and bulky with a short battery life for a handheld, while being somewhat expensive, then this might end up being another niche product that mainly appeals to existing Nintendo fans.

This doesn't sound well for 3rd party support.

Sounds alright. This should be enough for Nintendo games. But definitely not for third-party.
Let's wait and see how things will go!

Roketan said:

I think this will have tons of Japanese support. Tons. 

Nintendo finally has brought their portable userbase with high end 3D graphics, Japanese devs like S-E will now be able to port even things like Final Fantasy (sure the resolution may have to be cut down and some effects scaled back a tad, but Japanese consumers don't really care about that stuff). 

Western support is contingent on its sales here I guess, but I think it'll be a bit like the Wii U was in its early days, some multiplats, even some of the bigger ones, but not all of them. So possibly something like yes to COD, Ass Creed, Minecraft, and Batman early on, no to some others like GTA, Madden, and Witcher. 

Soundwave said:
Roketan said:

I think this will have tons of Japanese support. Tons. 

Nintendo finally has brought their portable userbase with high end 3D graphics, Japanese devs like S-E will now be able to port even things like Final Fantasy (sure the resolution may have to be cut down and some effects scaled back a tad, but Japanese consumers don't really care about that stuff). 

Western support is contingent on its sales here I guess, but I think it'll be a bit like the Wii U was in its early days, some multiplats, even some of the bigger ones, but not all of them. So possibly something like yes to COD, Ass Creed, Minecraft, and Batman early on, no to some others like GTA, Madden, and Witcher. 

Tons of japanese support will not get the system anywhere worldwide. Also, people were saying the same with WiiU. That it will receive tons of third party support since it's on par with PS3 and we all know what happened. Also, the FF fanbase is on Playstation, the rest will buy the Xbone/PC version. Why anyone would wait for an inferior port (since the system will not be as powerful as PS4)? And there is no way Square Enix will develop FF16 for an inferior system that will require extra work to make it run on low hardware with PS4Neo/XBone Scorpio/PC around. Square Enix support doesn't mean anything if it comes only to ports or games like Crystal Chronicles. Same applies to KOEI who released many ports on WiiU but none of their new games.