By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MCV: NX Graphics In Between A PS3 And PS4

hershel_layton said:
people, a handheld with this type of graphics is unbelievable.

And at an affordable price? dear god.

Mobile phones and tablets have been able to produce PS3 graphics at 30 fps for quite some time now. The problem is that barely any phone is utilizing it which is why people think mobile GPUs are only capable of 2d shit.

@topic

Graphics between PS3 and PS4, fps between 3 and 4.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Most saying the power is too less. Am going to say it is too much. 3DS is like 5 GFlops and Vita is at 52 GFlops. What kind of battery life are they expecting on a 300-400 GFlops portable? 1-5 minutes. Battery tech and chips have improved but by that much?

Got the flops from here http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

Could be wrong. Everyone is wrong. 

green_sky said:

Most saying the power is too less. Am going to say it is too much. 3DS is like 5 GFlops and Vita is at 52 GFlops. What kind of battery life are they expecting on a 300-400 GFlops portable? 1-5 minutes. Battery tech and chips have improved but by that much?

Because technology advances stopped in 2011 and power consumption scales linearily?

Today's flagship smartphones last several hours even with graphics that dwarf anything the 3DS could ever deliver.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

green_sky said:

It's a good question. 

I'm guessing they have been able to with a die shrink to 16nm and architectural improvements from Pascal to create a chip that gives them roughly 50 GFLOPS per watt. 

Given a larger tablet form factor to dissipiate heat, lets say 8 watts for your chip (that's 400 GFLOPS) and then 1.5 watts for screen + WiFi in portable situations. 

You would need a large 40 wH battery to power that, but a 10,000 MaH battery gives you right about 3 1/2-4 hours of battery life. 

It's doable. It would just have to be the size of the Wii U tablet pad, this would not be a pocket sized device, no way. 

vivster said:
green_sky said:

Because technology advances stopped in 2011 and power consumption scales linearily?

Thanks. You are always there with your helpful responses. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
green_sky said:

It's a good question. 

I'm guessing they have been able to with a die shrink to 16nm and architectural improvements from Pascal to create a chip that gives them roughly 50 GFLOPS per watt. 

Given a larger tablet form factor to dissipiate heat, lets say 8 watts for your chip (that's 400 GFLOPS) and then 1.5 watts for screen + WiFi in portable situations. 

You would need a large 40 wH battery to power that, but a 10,000 MaH battery gives you right about 3 1/2-4 hours of battery life. 

It's doable. It would just have to be the size of the Wii U tablet pad, this would not be a pocket sized device, no way. 

An actual helpful response. That too from Soundwave. You get an actual thanks. It is just that i am not happy with 3DS battery life compared to what we got with DS. Just hoping they don't ignore that aspect. A battery drained handheld is no good to anyone. 

AZWification said:
hunter_alien said:

Im sorry to ask, but any of you have even played on  a Vita? Because if you did, questions and discussions like these wouldent occur on a gaming forum. The PSV was made with PS3 ports in mind. Games like Gravity Rush, Killzone Mercenaries and Uncharted Golden Abyss are way over what the 6th generation could even dream to offer graphically. 

I haven't played on the Vita, you got me there!

You should check it out when it plumets in price Its a perfect companion to my 3DS :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

green_sky said:
Soundwave said:

It's a good question. 

An actual helpful response. That too from Soundwave. You get an actual thanks. It is just that i am not happy with 3DS battery life compared to what we got with DS. Just hoping they don't ignore that aspect. A battery drained handheld is no good to anyone. 

To be honest though I find I almost never play any gaming session for longer than 3 1/2 hours, even on a long flight, I'll maybe play my 3DS for about 3 hours, then watch a couple of movies, sleep/eat/etc. 

Soundwave said:

To be honest though I find I almost never play any gaming session for longer than 3 1/2 hours, even on a long flight, I'll maybe play my 3DS for about 3 hours, then watch a couple of movies, sleep/eat/etc. 

Fair enough. It seems the average user would probably only use it for an hour or so when outside the house. I think there was a thread here once about where do you play your handheld. Most people including me, just play it at home majority of the time. Still wish they go for 5-6 hours. 

It's too bad to be honest that it sounds like EA is not on board. I'd really like to play console quality (real console quality) FIFA or NHL or Madden on the go. I think that would've been interesting to a lot of people.