By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MCV: NX Graphics In Between A PS3 And PS4

Kinda figured this deserved its own thread, from MCV:

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/mcv-zelda-mario-pokemon-games-due-nx-within-first-six-months

The same sources tell MCV that Nintendo is determined that NX will not suffer the same slow starts as Wii U or 3DS, and that Eurogamer’s report last week that NX is a portable machine with a breakaway controller that can be plugged into a TV is accurate. Graphics are said to be ‘somewhere between PS3 and PS4.’

“It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” one executive that went hands-on with the machine told MCV. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/08/mcv-zelda-mario-pokemon-games-due-nx-within-first-six-months#DlUY42wczO3A8WEA.99

My guess is a Pascal Tegra X2 based custom chip that's in the range of 700 GFLOPS-1 TFLOP when plugged into a wall. Which for a portable would be very kick ass. My other guess is the "TV dock" that's included is basically like a "cooling bay" for the chip which cools it and lets it run at full power at home with an active fan. When it's portable, it downclocks to 300-400 GFLOPS and is passively cooled. Just a guess though. 

Around the Network

people, a handheld with this type of graphics is unbelievable.

And at an affordable price? dear god.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:

Exactly.

hershel_layton said:

Yeah I agree though I do wonder what spec range it runs at in actual portable mode (as in not plugged into a wall). Anything above a PS3 for a portable is fantastic though. 

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/61121-puissance-de-la-nintendo-nx-nos-sources-precisent-les-choses

According to Julien Chièze the NX will be easy to port PS4 games to it.

Around the Network

Yep sounds like it ll be the weakest of the 3 home consoles on the market.
XB1, PS4 will both be more powerfull.

However, it ll be a pretty decent gameing tablet, when your on the go.

"NX Graphics In Between A PS3 And PS4"

Like asking "when do we eat?" and getting the answer "sometime between now and tomorrow"

JRPGfan said:
Yep sounds like it ll be the weakest of the 3 home consoles on the market.
XB1, PS4 will both be more powerfull.

However, it ll be a pretty decent gameing tablet, when your on the go.

I'd say "pretty decent" is an understatement, this level of performance for a portable would be unreal for a portable. 

For the first time probably ever in the same gen we will likely see some "real" next-gen games that have a portable version on the same day as their console release. 

Nintendo is really scaring me. I really hope this is a handheld, and not a home console.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

Nintendo is really scaring me. I really hope this is a handheld, and not a home console.

It's a portable console. That's been stated multiple times.